Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... Am i the only one who's never really understood the appeal of debadging one's car? Only thing i ever take off my cars (unless it's more than just a sticker) is the dealership branding.

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Some think it looks sleaker, others will do it if they have a mediocre brand such as Nissan and whatnot.

3. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    or embarassed about the mediocre engine.
    Yet my wife wants the 2.0T on her Saab as she keeps getting people trying to drag her off at lights and then they get surprised when they don't I suppose the see a little woman and have no idea. Problem is I can't find the correct badge yet.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I think its mostly related to engine.. You see people in those Nissans 2.5s who debadge 10x more so than the guys with the 3.5

5. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I see it all over, though. and not just engine badges. VW brand badges... which is especially odd on the older ones since it generally just leaves a big black circle on the grille which looks absolutely aweful. Honda and Toyota badges.... i guess trying to disguise the fact that they own a Toyota/Honda, yet the fart can muffler and oversized wheels with low profile tires that they paid more for together than they probably paid for the car itself tends to give that away.

6. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Most the corvettes at the local autocross are faster than my car. Can't hate.

I de-badged my 335. Took 2 minutes, and I liked how it looks.
    Dental floss made quick work of the glue, the remains of which wiped right off with some rubbing alcohol.

The thought of debadging my nissan and sticking a hamburger or dachshund overtop of where the badge used to be entertains me.
    Just to bother the nissan fanboys.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Here is Dubai there are quite a few cars who have had the badge removed and it's considered normal.

These cars are usually pickups such as GMC, Ford, Dodge, etc...

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I've never understood the appeal of 200 inch rims either. But people still do it. You're entitled to treat your property however you want, no matter how much it may annoy some.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    17" is the biggest for rims I like on a car(excluding trucks!). I like them machined, or just black. :D

10. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I think the rim color looks best based on the vehicle color. If you've got a lighter colored car, black or machined of some sort looks best. Chrome should be limited to darker/black painted cars. Seeing people rolling round in white Lincoln Continental's with chrome wheels just looks awful.

And no... even on a truck or SUV, rolling around on like 20's looks completely ridiculous. Especially cause at least half the time I see that is because they're also on low profile tires. All I can think then is "way to make it useless as a truck, dumbass!"

11. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    trucks true, 20" is wrong on low profiles, but the new RS6s look brilliant on 21s, suits it perfectly I think.

12. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Upbadging is the least cool thing ever. Have no idea what people are trying to achieve by doing that.

Downbadging is win - sleepers are always cooler.

Never been a fan of massive wheels - especially on small cars. Depends on the car. The Panda runs 13" wheels because I'm a total G.

13. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ..... in what way, shape, or form, does debadging your car = sleeper? Last i checked, sleeper was more like a minivan with a big block V8 under the hood.

14. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Remove the badge on an RS4 and put a TDI badge on, now you should get it :p

I prefer using the term Q Car (as in Q Ship), although to be honest no one really cares unless they understand cars...

15. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    .... a different badge does not a sleeper make.

16. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Unexpected performance maketh the sleeper, however the expectations are exceeded ;)

17. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Its more so when it looks like an every mundane car, but cars like billio. I had a Cedric Cima 3.0L Turbo V6 years ago, looked like an old barge that would be driven by a geriatric, but it was a traffic light hero. That was a sleeper.

replacing an RS4 badge with a Tdi badge is just mental, you're not fooling anyone when they hear the burble as opposed to the diga diga diga, and thats not making it a sleep, it makes the owner look like a dick, why ruin a perfectly good RS4 with a budget tdi badge? Pfft!

18. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    supercharged...

mustang dyno (reads lower than typical dynojet)

574.2 RWHP
    532.2 RWTQ

Weeee :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    lawdy lawd! ^

20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    ^^^ this

swapping one badge for another just makes people look at your car funny, especially when it doesn't even SOUND as one would expect. A sleeper would be like the one guy i met in Maryland who has/had a Jeep Wrangler with a stroker motor in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.