AMD Catalyst 14.x BETA (14.300.1005.0 August 27)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Sep 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Checking out the Linux driver now; seems like AMD finally started supporting Kernel 3.14+ at quick glance.

Curious to see how the driver does on non R9 285 hardware though, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Edit: Works on 3.14+ ,does not seem to support other hardware (no detected adapters on 7660G + 7670M laptop). No idea where to even begin with trying to modify it to work on other hardware :/

Correction; you can't generate a new xorg.conf on unsupported hardware. If you have a pre-generated xorg.conf from a previous fglrx installation though, this driver works fine.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    The MEGA link provided times out, fails.

4. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    They were annoying me with this 3.13 kernel support... By 3.14+ do you mean 3.16 and maybe 3.17 too? By default or requires patching?

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

It installs on 3.16.1 without any modding; the firegl_public.c mod that was needed before was already done when I checked.

So far, it seems to work just fine on my laptop, although Chrome still does that shift to the right a few pixels thing when maximized with HW acceleration enabled.

6. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    So i will check them later also on my machine, i wonder if they would run on kernel 3.17.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  7. gardenx

gardenx New Member

GPU:
    Crossfire XFX 7970 BE
    No more artifacts on State of Decay, and heat issue is gone... :rock:

The downside: Eyefinity Bezel compensation don`t work with this driver... :wanker:

8. vO!d

vO!d Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290 DirectCU II
    Installation went fine with these.
    Tested with BF4 and D3.
    BF4 seems smoother than with 14.8.
    D3 seems to be as terrible as ever but I blame Blizz for this.

I´ll use them for a while.

9. Hana88

Hana88 Guest

GPU:
    Ati radeon 7970@ 1100/145
    i can confirm vo!d says!

bf4 run better then 14.8

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Mantle?

11. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Leaked drivers!!! YES!

Like the golden times!

12. Bulldog

Bulldog Guest

GPU:
    HD Radeon 5000\GTX 1060
    I think I'll skip these. But it's good too see an update.

13. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Actually, no it didn't, it just had broken links leading to 404s and people guessing what it was with no real answer.
    ---

I have a feeling I'll install these and a day later AMD will release something official... So yeah I'll wait, no biggie.

14. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    First thing I've noticed? These drivers made the RPM counter (tachometer) work again in MSi Afterburner!!! :D

I'm gonna play some Deus Ex, Assetto Corsa and other games later and tell you my impressions!

Edit: Assetto Corsa is just fine with these... Played for an hour and it's fast and stable! Not much fps improvements though...

I hope these don't give me bad surprises...

Also, I believe these are the "14.30" people were talking about in the launch of the Radeon 285 series...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

During install, there is the ACP application and the AMD USB filter shows for me, I don't recall them in the install list before. Of course, once installed you can't see if it shows on the older driver because it will automatically be listed as it is installed (if that makes sense). I installed them anyway, and it seemed to install fine! The USB filter thing probably installed because I lost the use of my mouse for a second or two during installation (because of the installation of the USB filter).

Even though the only thing AMD on my computer is the graphics card, it may not necessarily mean the USB filter driver won't work, since it is audio related and probably universal spec?

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ACP is True audio, which the 280 doesnt have, and you dont have a AMD chipset for the usb filter, so neither of those will actually do anything.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That's what I thought :). I guess no harm installing them for now, I'm doing a reinstall in a few days once I get a new SSD. I would have loved to have bought a R9-285X (depending on price) along the way, I guess I have to wait a bit longer for that :).

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    the sammy 840 evo 1tb was on sale at the egg for $390 a few days ago, might still be...

19. vO!d

vO!d Guest

GPU:
    ASUS R9 290 DirectCU II
    Yes, Mantle.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That might be okay in the USA, but I'm in Australia :). Newegg does sell to here now (international shipping) but they don't sell everything, some of the stuff has a considerable price premium such that you can buy it cheaper in stores here, and I would hate to think what the RMA process would be like.

Driver appears to be good so far. It will be interesting to see to what scope the driver can be improved for the R9-285 and R9-285X (when released), since although they aren't a completely new architecture, they aren't just a new stepping of a rebranded existing card either.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014