AMD Catalyst 14.8 WHQL (14.201.1008 August 12)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by HerrFornit, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Astrix_au

Astrix_au Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX VEGA 64 Wave
    Yes in my opinion the limiting hardware is not being GCN 2.0. Below was copied from a external article.

"Though there are some differences between GCN 1.0 and 2.0 — mostly relating to management of memory and HSA"

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/whats-deal-amds-mantle/58209.html#ixzz3C5ikuoQ4

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    so far, these 14.8's are running well with two SapphireHD7870(GHz)2G's - in crossfire..
    the 64-bit version of ie11 is very stable, and YouTube vids are playing fine (with the latest Flash BETA)

- Win7(Ult) is running in High Performance mode, via Power Settings..
    - both cards are synchronized and ULPS is disabled, via Trixx..

- just testing out a few games now.. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

From my understanding, AMD was mostly claiming it was better than other APIs on platforms with lower-end CPUs. Other (current) APIs introduce overhead, which takes up valuable CPU cycles, which isn't ideal on lower-end hardware. Meanwhile, it creates a situation where the GPU ends up waiting on the CPU.

Mantle therefore allows developers to not only bypass the overhead, but to also offload other parts of their engine onto the GPU, as well as having both the CPU and GPU truly work together. No longer is it about the CPU doing all the processing, and the GPU doing all the rendering. The GPU can now also handle the computations of facial expressions, the dynamics of combat going on behind you, and other non-rendering things.

But for people with higher-end CPUs, the benefits of Mantle won't be too apparent, not until developers start really pushing the limits anyway. Star Swarm looked like a great example as to what could be accomplished with Mantle (multiple ship AI, individual tracking turrets, etc). Thief and BF4 benefit from Mantle as well, but both don't really "push" the boundaries of Mantle with anything too computationally-demanding (afaik).

If I recall right, Mantle should also be able to multithread really efficiently too on the CPU-side, and also scales with Crossfire. Scenarios where the GPU is only at 50% usage but the CPU is at around 90% should be a thing of the past (looking at you GW2).

And one of the nicer features is that it can also be ported over to other hardware, and even operating systems. So far this hasn't really taken off too far yet though, but maybe some day.

That's how I view Mantle anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  4. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    So far so good. No problems and seems pretty stable. Best of all, Firestrike performance went from 11855 to 12104. Not too shabby eh? :p

5. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    So many complaining, trading loyalty..yet..noone doing anything about it..read your EULA and find out what options you have..and if you don't understand EULA's then get a lawyer to understand it for you.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    My went down from 3816 to 3732 (exteme preset).

7. Valagard

Valagard Guest

I am doing something about it, I'm probably going to buy Nvidia next round

Lets face facts, AMD has gotten really, and I mean really fricking lazy these last 9+ months on the drivers front, but the last 4+ months have been just inexcusable problems they flat out won't fix like the DX9 issues

This should have been fixed one week one of being reported, yet here we are 4+ months later and this driver was just WHQL'd cause screw the consumer

But yeah, unless Nvidia's next card is a stinker I'm switching, this last about a year has been an absolute joke from AMD for driver support

8. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    If taking a lawyer up to them would mean they can fix their drivers, someone would. Unfortunately it'll also mean the amount of legal fees will probably allow you to buy as many Titan Blacks as you will ever want in addition to any number of AMD cards so that you might as well switch them around or even assemble two or three rigs that only play a few games optimized for that platform. The legal route is also painfully slow, so most likely we'll see results years later.

Therefore most of us are complaining via submitting bug reports and buying a different brand, which is more cost effective in my opinion. :)

9. atta353

atta353 Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte r290 OC 4Gb
    Thank You crz..
    i was indeed using silent BIOS

10. ZentiX

ZentiX Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X in CFX
    Been using this driver for a few days now, and no problem so far. Games played are CS:GO, BF4, WoW and TESO.
    I have noticed that this driver is a little hotter than 14.4, but I'm on water so do not care :)

But how come this AMD driver release first on Guru3D? It can't be found on AMD.com or any other sites.

11. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Im quite surprised that non of the major tech sites have done any articles covering the slide to complete slackness in AMD's driver support (i blame AMD's involvement in the M$/Sony Console war)

With all the reports of increased heat,dx9 corruption,BSOD & Wake issues i see across all the major forums i though atleast one of them would have done some tests to check and issue a report,afterall we know we can't rely on AMD to notice these things evn if the get 100's of reports on it

Untill framepacing was brought up in those kind of tests AMD wasn't even looking for it and didn't even see it in there own testing,although it was blatantly obvious to most gamers they had a major micro stutter issues.

Btw have they ever fixed the DX9 framepacing in eyefinity and 4K under CS ?
    or was the "support coming in a future driver update" another lie.

12. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Rest assured that if they were all having these issues, they would report them.

These problems affect only some users, and even those affected are being able to solve them with BIOS and driver updates... I was having serious stability issues and with a single vga BIOS update, all gone! :)
    PS: I also started using only official (WHQL) drivers and it made a HUGE difference in stability and reliability.

13. Valagard

Valagard Guest

None of them have done DX9 tests with the drivers, its always for stuff like Watch dogs etc, DX11 games

14. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Still no sight of the 14.30 Beta 2 driver set that was handed to review sites for testing the R9 285.

15. shredderman

shredderman Active Member

GPU:
    Galax RTX 3060 12GB

If you're switching then why bother posting here?

Ever heard the story of the man who doesn't go to Bed Bath & Beyond?
    He doesn't like Bed Bath & Beyond, doesn't go to it and doesn't mind that you or me like it and go to it.

It should be the same situation here.

If you like AMD, go with AMD, there's nothing wrong with that.
    If you go Nvidia, no one should have a problem with that either.

The problem here is that you're complaining for no reason.
    I'm switching to Nvidia because the 750 Ti is a much greater upgrade to my Radeon R7 250.

You see the difference between you and me is that you're taking all of this too personally and being all negative about it, when you shouldn't even bother posting to begin with.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

16. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Thanks for the Link will try it asap.

17. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    All DirectX9 games I play (Half Life2, Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Oblivion, etc) run flawlessly.

I don't know about this problem you guys have. Maybe you're overclocking too hard or something?

18. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    Funny thing is while I had a Nvidia card I had nothing but different driver issues to deal with. Certainly, some games ran better on that card than its AMD counterparts but I also had some that were completely unplayable for weeks until Nvidia sorted them out. Grass is always greener and all that.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The one driver problem I continuously had for years when on a 8800GTS SSC edition card and continued on a GTX 460 card was display driver stopped and has recovered crashes.. while doing nothing more than using a web browser.

While I understand people getting frustrated with driver problems, both brands have separate issues of various sorts relating to different aspects of the video card...

If you are having a hard time with one brand, by all means try the other, no one is stopping you from doing so.

-----

And a question.. of sorts..

These 14.8 WHQL's are still not up on the AMD website, it is still showing 14.4's

Is there a reason for this?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Theoretically, they are APU drivers.