JPR AMD Climbs 11% in GPU Shipments in Q2, Intel up 4% NVIDIA Lower

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Intel markets share grows constantly. It appears that more and more people opt for integrated graphics instead of Optimus in their laptops, what might explain NV drop. Well, as ultra-mobiles and tablets are getting common, and there's pretty much a single ASUS ultrabook with a dedicated graphics, and it's not available yet, Intel domination makes sense.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It makes sense that Intel's market share is so high, considering an Intel GPU is integrated into all their useful CPU's regardless of whether the graphics is used or not. Come on, what would you rather have, an i5-4690K and i7-4790K, integrated graphics that are effectively pointless on these CPU's (since most buyers of these CPU's buy them for gaming and mainstream performance situations and use discrete cards) or 2 more CPU cores? :D

4. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Q2 is allways a bit special.. traditionnally gpu and system ( laptop, PC etc ) are launched in the Q3-Q4 for benefit of 2 factors: end of holliday and christmas .. and so Q2 stay in general in a strange layer between new series, new laptop series launch and product launched months ago.

5. Gaidax

Gaidax Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
    I am glad Intel are doing what they are doing by significantly boosting iGPU.

For the first time Intel iGPU can actually be said to be decent for what it is needed for - you get multiple screens support, HD playback and hardware support, you can even game a bit with it.

Finally instead of overpaying for crappy notebook GPU just so it can actually display stuff, I can just buy it with a decent Intel CPU and have my GPU needs covered well enough. Won't be playing Crysis there, but at least it won't cost me extra bucks just to have something like GT740m crap bundled there, so it can actually display stuff.

6. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I wish desktop mainboards would more widely adopt an approach similar to Optimus. I would be happy if my two 660s would turn off in Desktop mode, with the IGP taking over. I'd especially love to see that in the high end chipsets. Best between energy saving and performance without compromise in games.

7. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    Good perfomance by AMD

Wow AMD is finally capturing more and more GPU maket share from nVidia. AMD pushed nVidia to mere 14.7%, where as AMD is almost 18%.:puke2:

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just you wait, Titan II is on the way, everyone will buy that. :D

9. poornaprakash

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    Everyone one buys $1000 Titan 2 ??:wanker:

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    /Sarcasm

11. poornaprakash

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia
    No I didn't mean like that :)

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not surprised that Intel has the most due to the fact that alot of users that have a business grade laptop they have most likely Intel graphics and the same goes with Intel based tablets and the two in ones. Man AMD is making all the right moves since they over taken Nvidia. I doubt the Titan II will help because very few will buy it.

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    In reality are counted in the IGP, the graphics chips integrated to the processor.. its mainly the reason you see Intel allways on top of gpu shipment since ever.

Lets imagine you have an I7 2xxx-3xxx-4xxxx desktop / mobile etc.. you certainly have a dedicated gpu, but for each processor is counted the integrated graphics inside.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well to be fair this includes AMD iGPU shipments as well as discreet. I have personally built 3 FM2 systems and I'm trying to convince the owners at my company to go all FM2 on future office desktops. And the only reason why I did this is because I know several other people that do it already. That's definitely going to inflate AMD marketshare for GPU's.

I'd like to see a comparison between only discreet of Nvidia/AMD.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Very true as well.

16. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    For what i know, Nvidia have done pretty well on Tesla.. HPC market. They have gain some good contract.

Now it is allways hard to know, because it could pass some months between a contract and the income.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm curious what the stats would be if you excluded Optimus users and anyone who uses an nvidia GPU only for PhysX.

I wonder how many people actually use the IGP in an i5 or an i7. I would much rather take out the IGP in those chips and include real physical cores. The fact they don't is one of the reasons I don't buy their chips - I don't want to be paying for something I have no use for. Intel is expensive so I'd like to get the most out of my money. If intel's IGPs could work toward something like physx assist in something non-graphical I would be thrilled. But there just isn't enough out there.

18. 17seconds

17seconds Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+
  19. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Ctrl+F 280, 290, 270 - nada. Their detection is bad.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    3 things to point out with steam's survey:
    1. People are randomly picked. Statistically, this shouldn't make a difference, but in terms of probability, it can.
    2. Nvidia has far fewer models. They release roughly 10-15 GPUs per generation including mobile models. AMD seems to release roughly 20 per generation, possibly more. This makes it much harder for a single AMD GPU to end up in the top of the charts (and also explains why intel is always way higher than it should be).
    3. This takes into account all GPUs, new and old. Thanks to driver support, nvidia GPUs seem to have a longer lifespan. Nvidia is also more expensive, which means people will hold onto their products longer. This can help improve nvidia's numbers.

I'm not trying to show any bias here, I'm just stating why nvidia ends up on top. Steam's surveys are pretty skewed, even in non-hardware related data.