HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    SMAA is still the most effective out of the all post process AA methods.
    The ingame MLAA is ancient and doens't work well in motion at all, while driver FXAA is too blurry. SMAA doesn't have the blur issue and works better in motion than MLAA.
    But bottomline is that Witcher 2's engine is simply, to put it bluntly, ****.
    It's also a pity they never brought the improved lighting from X360 version of Witcher 2 to PC. It's quite obvious they are a company like all others and don't care that much about PC players, the sad thing is that people buy into their lies and PR stunts. And I'm saying that as a fellow Pole.

2. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    The lighting was changed in the 360 version in response the console's hardware limitations. I personally think lighting in the PC version is superior, both technologically and aesthetically, as are the rest of the graphics. Sounds like you have an axe to grind with CDPR.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  3. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Actually no, they confirmed that the lighting for X360 version was superior.
    I'm not talking about things like shadow resolution or smaller amount of dynamic lights. I'm talking about the lighting itself.
    It's definitely much better and more realistic than the ****ty brown/green/teal'n'orange filtered turd we got on PC.
    And again, CDPR themselves confirmed the lighting was improved for X360 but they didn't have time and money to bring it to PC, which I personally read as "we don't give a **** about PC now that we tapped into the console market".
    Then there's also the today's announcement of Xbone getting exclusive content, which further shows how once again they don't care about PC and lie constantly.

Read this article by the way regarding the lighting, just look at the screens here to see how much better and more realistic it is on X360.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-witcher-2-tech-analysis

PC: https://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/7/5/1/4/2/PC_lighting1.png
    X360: https://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/7/5/1/4/2/360_lighting1.png
    PC: https://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/7/5/1/4/2/PC_lighting2.png
    X360: https://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/7/5/1/4/2/360_lighting2.png

See how PC has crappy color filtered overdone lighting and how the spaces in the tower walls don't cast light into the siege tower? Or how Geralt's hood doesn't cast shadow on his face? How unnatural the colors are on PC?
    It's blatantly obvious that they are favoring Microsoft now (probably paid adequatly behind the scenes).
    I'm just hoping that one day someone will be able to use the REDKit to edit PC version of Witcher 2 and somehow rip the shaders from X360 version and implement them on PC.

4. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    When you accused CDPR of "selling out," I was expecting exclusive DLC/in-game content or something of that token, but no, it's two decks of Gwent cards and a cloth map. I couldn't care less, considering I get DRM-free, all the digital extras on GOG, mods, and a vastly superior experience. I'll take the trade any day. :D

I read the Digital Foundry article and looked at the screenshot and video comparisons. Are you sure you're not simply comparing daytime and nighttime lighting? You know there's a day-night cycle in this game, right? J/k. ;)

Anyway, the cases where the 360 lighting beats the PC lighting are few and far in between. The majority of the time it is the opposite. I noticed right away that the Xbox version is consistently missing bloom in places compared to the PC version.

Also note that a lot of light sources have been added/removed or switched around between the two versions, and there are differences in time of day as well. Due to variations in the placement and nature of lights even in identical scenes, it's hard to say which is definitively "better." They're just different styles.

A lot of the time, it comes down to the different color grading and palettes between the two versions. I have a feeling you simply prefer the art direction of the Xbox version more. Which is fine; we all have different subjective tastes. :)

Now, if we return to Digital Foundry:

Xbox
    PC
    What I see on the Xbox is low dynamic range, too much contrast between the light and dark parts of the scene, all detail in the shadows is lost, and no bloom.

Xbox
    PC
    Once again, low dynamic range. Tone mapping, SSS/diffuse, and specular on skin of Geralt and Triss also take a hit. Less convincing depth due to the missing shadows and occlusion on their bodies. It is nighttime, but Triss and esp. Geralt seem to glow unnaturally set against the backdrop. Their entire front sides should be covered in shadow and occluding the light coming from behind them, unless there is another light directly behind the camera.

Xbox
    PC
    This one is really obvious. Xbox is missing bloom and shadows from the trees and parapets.

5. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    First of all, the scene is not at night time, it's morning inside of a tent.
    The opening sequences have identical time of day settings between both versions, so that point of your argument is moot. Heck, the PC version doesn't even have lit candles and the inside of the tent is so bright as if it had electric lighting installed.

Secondly, you're listing things such as missing diffuse/specular mappinng, SSAO, bloom and such, while those things aren't related to the lighting at all.
    I'm talking purely about the lighting, not the things that obviously had to be downscaled due to weaker hardware.
    Also, bloom is NOT a desireable effect so I'm not sure why you're listing it as something positive.

As for color grading, I'm actually positive X360 version has none, it can be easily compared to PC version with disabled color grading (thanks to an ancient ENB that can be found here http://enbdev.com/mod_witcher2_v0189.htm). I'd in fact love to play the game with that ENB, but sadly it doesn't work with Ubersampling, and worst of all, kills specular mapping making things like armor and such look considerably worse.

Generally of course I prefer the art direction of the X360 version, it has more natural and realistic lighting and the sceneries got improvements in a lot of places from artistic point. The main thing that makes me like it a lot more is lack of the godawful color color filter/grading we have on PC which we aren't given an option to turn off. Saturation and contrast are also throug the roof on PC. The game looks basically like Trine, and it doesn't fit Witcher's low-fantasy setting. It also clashes terribly with Witcher 1 and Witcher 3 art direction of more natural and realistically toned down colors.

Sorry but it's quite obvious that X360 version is considerably more enhanced than what we got on PC (only new textures and quests, none of the other improvements that X360 got).

The Gwent game by the way is quite interesting (especially for anyone who read the books) and it's not the point that it may seem like nothing to you, the point is that they lied to their customers when they promised no platform would get exclusive treatment of any kind. A cloth map of the entire game is also a nice thing to have. You may not care since you're buying digital, but there's plenty of angered PC and PS4 customers who bought the Collector's Edition only to find out we're getting shafted in favor of Xbone.

6. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    LOL I was talking about lighting. All those things are related to the lighting system in the game, the different types of lighting, how they interact with characters and the environment, etc. Not sure why your definition is so different from mine.

Anyhow, I think that at the very least, the HDR rendering takes a major step back in the Xbox port. It's really clear in how much more subtle detail can be seen in the PC screenshots where the Xbox simply washes it out or completely blacks it out. And I think bloom, if done right, which it is here, unlike how excessive it is in BF3 and Hitman: Absolution, is enjoyable and a natural part of the HDR pipeline.

Yeah I know that first scene in the tent takes place in the morning. I've never played TW2 on 360, so I didn't know if it was different. Indeed, the drastic difference in the dynamic range of many scenes can make the Xbox version seem like it takes place at a different time of the day.

If you had asked me, having never played the game, to compare those two screenshots of inside the tent, I would've said the Xbox took place at night and the PC in the early morning or late afternoon. Because in the Xbox scene, the only light inside the tent comes from the candles, which makes it look completely dark outside. While in the PC version, it's obvious there's strong, indirect sunlight coming through the tent canvas and maybe a crack in the doorway, casting long shadows and giving a reddish hue on the skin of Geralt and Triss which is simulated with tone mapping. It's not super strong/direct or tinted though so I don't how you can say it looks like artificial lighting, not that it would make sense given the time period. I'm sitting under some fluorescent lighting right now and I can tell you it looks nothing like that scene.

7. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
  8. tmaldo23

tmaldo23 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780ti OC/3GB SLI
    Assassin's Creed II

I've been testing a bit more the flags for ACII. I share some images below for comparison. You see profile 0x00000022 has a stronger effect, while 0x00000023 is weaker and not working on characters. 0x00000029 does not work at all. Unfortunately, I have experienced some issues with profiles 0x00000022 and 0x00000023. For the first case, I have screenshots, it happens always when it starts to render textures in a new scene. In the second case, I could not take screenshots, because glitches happen more randomly, and it was difficult to capture, but basically what happens is that some texture flicker or become darker.

P.S. Turns out that I cannot share links here because I am a noob in the forum so I need 8 more posts to be able to share links :3eyes::puke2:

9. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Just break up the links with DOT instead of .
    It's a temporary solution until you get more posts.

10. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    You dont neet need the to use "http://" just post everything after it like this "i.imgur.com/CUWenTt.jpg"

11. octiceps

octiceps Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 650M SLI
    Thanks for this. I think this section is very telling regarding the visual differences between the two.

12. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Personally I think Witcher 2 is a gorgeous PC game, especially at 4K.
    Comparing it to a silly little 360 version is ridiculous really.
    And with "bloom" and DoF disabled, the lighting is quite beautiful as well.
    Maybe not on the level of Crysis 3 and the like, but still quite good for a 2011 game IMO.
    Can't wait for Witcher 3 :)

But I think it is time to get back to the topic at hand, namely HBAO+ bits.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  13. tmaldo23

tmaldo23 Guest

GPU:
    Got it. So here some screenshots of different scenes in ACII. FYI, I have tested the same AO flag in AC Brotherhood, but the results are not positive either, they are not working at all in ACB.

Scene 1
    No AO flag
    i.imgur.com/iNZd9R8.jpg

AO 0x00000022
    i.imgur.com/7DnQALp.jpg

AO 0x00000022 glitch
    i.imgur.com/KRkmYN7.jpg

AO 0x00000023
    i.imgur.com/HVHywE2.jpg

AO 0x00000029
    i.imgur.com/pND7YAW.jpg

Scene 2
    No AO
    i.imgur.com/m6fzNSK.jpg

AO 0x00000022
    i.imgur.com/8q48bVx.jpg

AO 0x00000022 glitch
    i.imgur.com/coAnvVn.jpg

AO 0x00000023
    i.imgur.com/IHqIZh3.jpg

Scene 3
    No AO
    i.imgur.com/1c3l9wD.jpg

AO 0x00000022
    i.imgur.com/pIGKaWz.jpg

AO 0x00000023
    i.imgur.com/PvUr5YQ.jpg

14. tmaldo23

tmaldo23 Guest

GPU:
    Assassin's Creed II and Brotherhood Update

I have been playing around with the flags for ACII and ACB. I found flag 0x00060019 (Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood) in ACII is doing a very good job, similar than flag 0x00000022, but with any graphic glitch so far (I have tested it just for a scene). Here some screenshots

ACII No AO
    i.imgur.com/iNZd9R8.jpg

ACII AO 0x00000022
    i.imgur.com/7DnQALp.jpg

ACII AO 0x00060019
    i.imgur.com/RyGWmER.jpg

In ACB, it has been difficult to find a scene in which you can really notice the differencies among the profiles, but here at least one in which you can see some HBAO+ work. Profile 0x00000022 (not shown) has same graphic glitches than in ACII, but less frequent, yet I have not noticed AO in this profile.

ACB No AO
    i.imgur.com/rQxWn5g.jpg

ACB 0x00000022 (not working)
    i.imgur.com/wzqc5oz.jpg

ACB 0x00000023 (moderate)
    i.imgur.com/yv3kfXn.jpg

ACB 0x00060019 (strong)
    i.imgur.com/l3RLOhs.jpg

More tests are needed to confirm that the flag 0x00060019 is appropiated for ACII and Brotherhood (and possible Revelations). If some one else can do it, good. I will be away this week, so I might not be able to do more tests.

15. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Call of Duty 2

0x00000005

Since this flag gives pretty strong effect, it can be very visible against white backgrounds in Russian campaign, no issues other than that

Exteriors:

On
    Off

Interiors (kinda) and smoke test

On
    Off

16. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare

0x00000028

Only flag without bleeding or flickering.

Exteriors:

On
    Off

Interiors:
    On
    Off

Smoke test:

On
    Off

17. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    HBAO bits for the Witcher 2 would be fantastic actually, I have been trying a couple with now luck though.

IMO, the in game SSAO has too many old school AO problems. Haloing, incorrect placement, etc...

18. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Great job :)
    But "0x00000019" is sufficient for AC II & Brotherhood, since these games are DX9 only.
    The extra bits in "0x00060019" only have an effect in DX10 and DX11.
    Perhaps it would be worth trying "19" in the DX9 version of the original Assassin's Creed, since "22" also has certain issues in this game:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4790785&postcount=186

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  19. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    As mentioned 2 posts above or so I was curious about HBAO in the Witcher 2.

So I tried out some bits and found a great one: 0x00000033 (Dark Souls II)

Without any AO:
    http://abload.de/img/witcher2_2014_08_18_1etslx.png

With HBAO:
    http://abload.de/img/witcher2_2014_08_18_1hbs4a.png

With in game SSAO:
    http://abload.de/img/witcher2_2014_08_18_15rs3z.png

As you can see the HBAO is much morse subtle, does not cause haloing (look around geralt), and is more accurate to the world Geometry. It does have a slightly different aesthetic though.

Downsides:
    1. Does not work with GeDoSaTo or with Übersampling (means no awesome AA)
    2. Slight change of game aesthetic (IMO a better one)

20. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    That's weird, because I tried that flag and it dropped my GPU usage to to ~60% and like you said yourself, doesn't work with Ubersampling or Gedosato.
    You can still use driver-based downsampling though.
    That's because it is old school SSAO.