AMD to Celebrate 30 Years of Graphics and Gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Festivities to be commemorated with special guests, never-before-heard stories and new product announcements. AMD today announced that it will webcast its 30 Years of Graphics and Gaming  commemorat...

AMD to Celebrate 30 Years of Graphics and Gaming

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    30 years eh.... and we're still waiting for a stable driver :D

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    How about lowering prices and all those gpus to make people buy more of them? Would almost consider going for cfx if the cards were cheap and not too hot ;)

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Ill skip it if you dont mind, i find their presentations super boring, ill rather read the highlights that hilbert will post :D

5. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    This one time at GPU Camp...

We heated our hotdogs with a 290x in Crossfire...

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And the marshmellows started to burn in no time...

7. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    So true.. I ain't even bothering no more, using some old beta till 870 comes out :D

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You want AMD graphics cards, at the point they have reached right now, to be cheaper? What pricing are you thinking of exactly.

9. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)
    AMD cards are cheapest card in the market,
    The only way for it to cheaper still is for Nvidia to be cheaper, which will never happen.

10. Aoyagi

Aoyagi Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290
    Yeah, well, that's probably not going to happen with either of them. Or with drivers of good sound cards.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My 7950 does perfectly fine with the 13.12cats. My R7 240 is doing just fine with the 14.4cats.

12. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    Well 13.12 is stable enough if you don't mind the lack of mantle. They have really dropped the ball on the 14.x drivers. The miniscule release notes and lengthy time between the beta releases makes me think they have 1 person working on these and they are part time.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I know, my 290 does fine on the 14.4s too, just continuing the ongoing madness of 'Where's the next driver release' we seem to have

14. 17seconds

17seconds Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+
    The "Related Stories" section at the bottom holds no small measure of irony:

Related Stories

AMD to cut more jobs in January 2013 - 11/21/2012 10:12 AM
    Last month AMD announced it will lay off 1700 people, about 15 percent of its workforce, and now rumors hit the web that even more cuts are coming in January. AllThingsD picked up a rumor from multipl...

AMD to cut thousands of jobs - 10/13/2012 11:35 AM
    Advanced Micro Devices will very likely cut 2340 jobs which is about about 20 percent of the workforce.

AMD to cut 1,100 jobs, slash pay - 01/17/2009 01:17 PM
    In a third round of recent cutbacks and job cuts, computer chipmaker AMD will cut 9 percent of its global workforce, amounting to about 1,100 jobs, and lower the pay of existing employees, according t...

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Fix title, should be "ATI to Celebrate 30 Years of Graphics and Gaming".
    Trololol :D.

On a more serious note, amd didn't see 30 years of 'graphics and gaming', but merely 8 years. They acquired ati in 2006 iirc.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I so much loathe PR. Why oh why did nVidia have to start all that bogus "Chief Scientist" crap so many years ago...? Now, AMD has jumped on the phony PR bandwagon, too. "Scientist"....:bang:

I guess people are just getting dumber or else I'm just a lot wiser (definitely older, so maybe that's the problem--when you get older you really do get a bit cantankerous and you lose a lot of your tolerance for marketing BS), but the truth is I've never liked nVidia PR--I've always found it childish and condescending. It's kept me away from their products (with a couple of unfortunate exceptions) since the days of my 3dfx V2/V3/V5.5k. (I've been a *happy* ATi customer since my R300 in 2002--we won't discuss the pre-ArtX ATi products that I always had to return.)

AMD, like Microsoft, doesn't need to "reinvent its image" with all sorts of cool, empty buzzwords that at the end of the day don't mean a thing. What both companies need is products, products, products--and good ones of the kind their customers want to buy. I'm pretty sure that calling Richard Huddy AMD's "Chief Gaming Scientist" won't sell a single, solitary AMD gpu.

Couldn't they have come up with something a bit more original than borrowing nVidia's hackneyed old line? It's not apparent they thought that one through...Ah, well...See? I'm just an old curmudgeon....

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I was mildly excitedly tuning into this event last Saturday...and then I checked the date...

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man 30 years. I remember owning an Amd 486 dx 4 120 based machine and damn that 486 was a beast for its time.

As far as CPUs go yes AMD has been around for 30 years. As graphics go not even close.

19. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    It's obviously about ATi, which was founded in 1985...

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD has been around since 1969. ATI (now the AMD Graphics division) has been around since 1985. AMD is 45 years old. ATI would only be 29 years old, not 30.

@waltc3 - "Chief Gaming Scientist" is probably a better title for a job position than "Chief of lies"....