How much do you know about Computers?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Extraordinary, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Hardware - 8
    Software (not games) - 4/5 - no math skills whatsover :giggle2:

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The knowledge i have about about computers is the same i have about women, none!!!:D
    And i´m a happy man this way!...

Yes ignorance is a bliss...:D

4. JoPa

JoPa Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 TwinFrozr III
    Hardware 9
    Software 8
    Network 9

I'm an networking engineer student so i have a bit of experience with different kind of networks and servers, hardware and software came along when i got my own computer and started to build my own builds.

5. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Networking about a 7,3 because there sooo much. Bought a HP, Asus, Cisco and Juniper switch just to learn (program) about them :O

Hardware should be somewhere between a seven or eight. I can solder most stuff, ghetto rig phases of videocards for LN2 OC'ing, build PC's with ease and troubleshooting goes pretty well 9 out of 10 times.

Software is a 7 or so, same as networking, there's just too much.

Operating Systems should be near an eight or nine, started with Linux and Windows when I was 9 :') OS X took me 3 years to master (thanks Hackintoshing!). I feel like I wasted my life (21 right now) still not regretting it though :p

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    5/10

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  7. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    I have tons of work experience. A 2003 join date. Bunch of certs. IT diploma. Ive had more than 20 high end desktops and laptops combined ($4000 dual gpu notebooks). My current job is in IT. The kinds if problems ive seen makes me realize I know next to nothing. Id say 4 and 3. Basic hardware would be a 9. Beyond that its all downhill.

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's amusing watching the dunning kruger effect in action, as the older and more active people rate themselves lower and younger less active people rate themselves higher.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  10. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

I'd never heard of that so Google'd it and opened up Wikipedia.

Talk about laugh......

" The study was inspired by the case of McArthur Wheeler, a man who robbed two banks after covering his face with lemon juice in the mistaken belief that it would prevent his face from being recorded on surveillance cameras"

OMG ! LAAAAAAAAUGH MUCH!

11. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    This seriously made my day :thumbup:

12. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Enough to crack the Administrator passwords from my job computer and get admin rights to install some games and software onto it. Wonder that nobody did bother to notice it.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The more experience you have, the more you realise you do not know

14. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
  15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to tell me this. That is what the effect is... in effect. lol

Trying to answer this seriously is hard. But I gave it more thought then it deserves, and I came up with this to help figure it out. Maybe a little different then you imagined it, but I mean when you set 10 with the bar so high it has to scale somehow. These are all examples, any mental equivalent of each number would fall under the same number.

10 being unattainable for reasons I hope are obvious.

9 being a savant or borderline autistic.

8 being a genius and innovator in the field. Not only knows a great deal, but this person has helped to invent the field of IT and computers as a whole.

7 being a 40+ years work experience veteran working in the field under various administrative positions with enough certifications to get the top level paying job of any computer related organization, and more often then not, improve the workflow of that company from the top down.

6 being a individual who's passion, hobby, and career is simply and only computers, and while needing research to complete tasks, never needs help from other people. Capable in nearly every field of computers, from building a database, to making your own Linux distro, coding in any language, soldering a PCB, and coding your own drivers using a custom arduino board that you also made. If there is a computer related task, this person can do it with minimal struggle regardless as to what it is.

5 being an enthusiast who most likely has taken an interest in a few specific things about computers, and while very proficient in those things enough to take up a career, often needs help while venturing beyond your chosen skills.

4 being a person capable of building a computer and optimally using an OS, but when running into snaggs almost always needs to search issues, though usually is able to do so without other peoples help.

3 being an individual who often uses computers and can operate it without struggle, but has issues avoiding viruses and keeping the PC from being bloated with programs. Can get by for a while without help from others, but eventually needs someone to come along and fix something for them.

2 being a person who most likely only uses a PC at home and school to type reports and use facebook. Doesn't take very long for this individual to break an OS, and cannot complete simple tasks like installing Flash without headache and help.

1 being a person who has never used or seen a computer or a computer related item. Ever.

Under this, I feel I would be a 5.