Review: ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q GSYNC game monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 28, 2014.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well, you pay 150 for the G-Sync unit basicly.

It's G-Sync what makes the price.

It's why advice people to wait for DisplayPort 1.2a Monitors with Adaptive Sync instead. Ofcourse these Monitors still need Hardware adjustments, but it wont cost you 150 extra.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Would one even profit off having both active at the same time? I know it works on two different problems with low fps, but would one actually see an improvement over gsync with ulmb activated? Don't have a monitor that is able to offer either of the two, so I wouldn't know

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I don't know. Would be nice to find out though.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Tried asking in another thread but got no response.

What kind of GPU(s) is needed for 1440p gaming on Ultra settings? Is AA required at all at 1440p? Don't want to get it if I'll end up at 50fps on modern games. And what about VRAM? Is 3GB enough?

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean most is going to come down to preference and what games your playing.

Some people will tell you no because they like FPS above 140+. Some people enjoy 30fps+. Some people will tell you, you need AA @ 4K resolutions. Some people don't use AA at all.

For me I would tell you a 780Ti is fine, but then again all I play is CS:GO/SC2/Dota 2. Which would probably all get 60+fps @ 1440p on a 770 let alone a 780.

Theoretically going from 1080p to 1440p should reduce performance by ~33% but obviously real world is going to have some variance. But if you have a particular game in mind, just take 33% off the number and if its above 50fps then you're probably going to be fine.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm a 60+ fps guy since I've always had a 60fps monitor :)

Tried BF4 at 1200p and it gave me around 100-130fps which should translate to 67-87fps at 1440p. I might get a tad more if I decrease MSAA to 2x instead of 4x.

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    The complaint about viewing angles is a legitimate concern with TN panels. Recently, however, I got to contrast a "value" ~27" TN 1920x1200 HannsG HZ281 monitor ($230) with a value 27" 1920x1080 IPS HP monitor ($250.) Both were connected to an HD Radeon 7850 via HDMI (Radeon is 1.4a HDMI.) I was able to work with them both side-by-side and compare them for a few hours. I was surprised as I was able to get the TN panel to the same general brightness and contrast levels as the IPS, and it was also easy to see that the "value" IPS was using a visibly inferior dot-pitch, too, as the edges of things were much chunkier @1920x1080 than the raw differences in resolution would have produced. I came away surprised, because I thought the color fidelity, contrast, and brightness levels of the TN were every bit the equal of the IPS, and the dot pitch & resolution superiority of that particular TN over that particular IPS couldn't be denied.

What solidified the matte TN panel triumph for me, though, was the awful, shiny glass screen coating of the IPS--it reflected everything. Ugh. Even with the viewing-angle inferiority of the TN panel, and TN viewing angles are inferior to IPS, I walked away convinced that of the two the TN was the better monitor and the one I'd rather have if I had to choose between them (I don't work with my monitor tilted away from me, anyway...;)) I guess the lesson I learned that day is one worth retaining: all TN panels are not equal, and all IPS panels are not equal, etc.

Hilbert, a couple things I would have liked to have seen in this splendid review...;) Your assessment of how the monitor performs with an AMD gpu (I would expect more or less the same), and how it performs @ 120Hz, 144Hz, etc. I'm also pretty sure that G-Sync will be a flash in the pan technology, most likely replaced by something equivalent that won't be proprietary and won't cost much of anything extra.

Also, being honest, I have to say that in every so-called "example" of "Gsync on, Gsync off" that I've seen so far, Gsync off looks appreciably worse than it looks on my monitor at home where I have no Gsync at all...;) This of course serves to make "Gsync on" look that much better in the demonstration. Another site once did a home-made comparison between Gsync on&off, and the off condition video was so jerky that I'd think something was wrong with my hardware or software if my non-Gsync hardware ever jerked and stuttered like that...!...;) I pay more attention to the "Gsync off" portion of the comparison videos because that tells me if the comparisons are valid. Basically, I've found that my normal non-Gsync performance is much closer to the "Gsync on" portion of the comparison videos than it is to the "Gsync off" portion.

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I'd love to get one of these...but no luck in the states.

Looks fantastic to me. I have no problem with TN viewing angles. So not a concern for me.

I sit in front of my monitor any way.

There is no hidden conspiracy with Gsync doing any such thing to make it look better.

Vsync off looks terrible on any monitor I've used. Tearing kills my eyeballs, and I see it very clearly.

9. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    I bought this monitor.

Watchdogs with G sync on glitches terribly Hilbert. Would be interesting if you see the same.

When I enable G Sync (with or without mods) the main menu glithces through into the main gameplay,

Its almost like screen tearing but when the tear occurs, its a screen of the main menu.

If I disable G sync then it works fine. However... if this glitch didnt occur, the stutter issue we experience with SLI is minimal at best. It is a great improvement. Its just a shame this menu problem stops me playing it at the moment.

p.s. before people thinking im trashing this monitor. Every other game is fantastic. I died so many times in battlefield purely because im immersed in the the smoothness, and detail. Watchdogs is the only game i experience problems, but then again who doesnt with that AAA title :(

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Sorry bro, this monitor already has been packaged up ready to be send to the next media / reviewers.

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
  12. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Ah well, great review anyway.

I am thoroughly enjoying this monitor. Luckily in Norway the markets aren't greedy like some, and so there was no hiking of prices. It was a generic price with all companies selling this.

Not sure about the Turbo button however. Seems a bit pointless to me.

13. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    War child how do you find the colours and black background level?

With this being an 8-bit monitor I'm hoping for good colours.

With the review saying that the colour were off @7500K then surely you can compensate by adjusting the colour via the menu on the monitor?

As this is a gaming monitor you really would not want to bother with .ICC files.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  14. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I used their profile for my vg248qe. The only thing I didn't like was their gamma setting was a bit to low. Other than that, It was spot on for everything else.

16. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Colours arepretty good actually. I have seen better but considering the features this monitor has its perfectly fine for me. I upgraded from the Benq XL2420T 144hz monitor, and the colour difference for me is fantastic. For those who are already accustomed to IPS monitors maybe they will have a few flaws.

There is a downloadable profile from http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#change

17. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I only play BF4, and use 2x 780ti Classified for my Swift monitor :)

120+ fps all the time on ultra settings :)

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    A new monitor plus another 780Ti is a wee bit much for my wallet to handle :D

19. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    I am going to buy this when available in New Zealand, should give my setup a good workout compared to my Asus VG278HE 1080p 144hz screen I have now.

20. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    There are mice which perform worse at 1000Hz then 500Hz (instabilities in tracking). Zowie AM/FK (not the FK1) are the most obvious examples of this.