EVGA retracts PrecisionX 15 download - issues a statement

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2014.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I just have a hard time understanding why people discuss about morality regarding to business, let alone Undwinder or EVGA.
    They took the software off because they would get sued, they are afraid they couldn't get away with it so easily. They didn't take the download offline because they felt bad...
    As for Unwinder, I'm sorry to hear your work has been pirated in such a way. It just shows that companies in general try to steal and do what they get away with, until somebody complains. Nothing new, no big deal.... unfortunately.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ahhhh so they put down our boss alex and the house but you think its ok?
    how can you even say fan boy you were sticking by evga the whole way like its no biggie,and for some i can see that it is no big deal....but the other non spoon fed masses seem it is

3. cps1974

cps1974 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    baby killing is baby killing and has nothing to do with this case of suspected / alleged IP theft

each to their own regarding boycott of EVGA, I for one couldn't do business with people who would have the bare face cheek to make the claims EVGA did but that is my personal decision and I respect others for the decisions they make regarding EVGA and their products, as I said each to their own

chaz

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Went back for a peak last night and its no better there dude. Think my next gpu upgrades are going to be bought in a lightning storm.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    'Our boss Alex'? I've no problem with Alex and I've defended his work repeatedly here and on the EGVA forums. Secondarily, I've been quite critical of their latest release of Precision. It's a mess. You've got your spoon in the wrong place filled with your assumptions. Oh well.

6. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    fan profile working as intended over here. running app as admin.

7. ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM

ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA-680 FTW+
    wtf are you going on about EVGA 790 Black Diamond Ultra? EVGA never made anything a ULTRA except 1 790 socket 775 motherboard.Nothing with a black diamond ..maybe your confusing another brand name lol Anyone who knows or has used the RMA system knows what you said is a outright lie lol

Edit or Black Pearl 790 (read your response later )

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I've never owned an EVGA product, but I use MSI Afterburner (on my HIS 7850 HD), and it was clear to me that the two were identical. I've also used a similar program by Asus--which I found wholly redundant to Afterburner, so I don't use the Asus program anymore. I'm not in favor of seeing Alex lose income, but he's got to watch his IP a bit more carefully if he wants to protect his ownership of it, and Alex says that he does. Fortunately, copyrights are not like trademarks and you don't have to "use them" to retain them. If EVGA has cut & pasted the UI, I think the odds are splendid that they've cut & pasted code, as well--the bit about them "not having the source" sounds a bit incredible, since I understand from this article that EVGA and Alex at one time *worked together* on the software for EVGA, and I don't see how EVGA could have contributed anything without access to the source--that seems debatable. "We here at EVGA put some money and code into the original Precision software, but we've decided to delete all of the source to make sure we can never touch it again." For some reason, I'm not entirely convinced...;)

The similarity of the Afterburner UI and the Precision UI pretty much proves that Alex/Unwinder is the original source for both, which is contrary to what EVGA has claimed (as I understand it here.)

9. SgtBarrett

SgtBarrett Guest

GPU:
    GTX 570
    All you folks who are throwing EVGA under the bus need to do some hands on research. Take a EVGA video card and remove the heat sink. Do the same thing to your favorite other brand... Look at the heat sink grease... Now, tell me who takes this more seriously than EVGA? They dont even cheap out on the tiny bit of grease under the heat sink that most people will never remove. They do it right. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, I've had them all and they all use the dried up generic white grease that you'll find in your bicycle bearings.

Tone it down folks. No matter what they did right or wrong, they put out some pretty outstanding equipment. And that means they don't have idiots working for them. Now maybe they had one young goof writing some PricisionX code and took a shortcut, but it was none the less a decent piece of software.

Any of you who write off EVGA for this are only shooting yourself in the foot. You want second best? Fine, go buy something else. You obviously aren't cut out for the elite equipment anyway.

10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Even though I'm not sure I would avoid EVGA for software piracy (that's what it is...), I don't consider everything EVGA does "the best". It's a question of what you favor in a product, for instance, do you go for raw power, or do you want to have the most silent card with a certain GPU? EVGA is not always the elite...
    As a consumer, it's the only choice left, to buy or not to buy from a company to give your little vote on how they make their products and do business. So if people decide to buy somewhere else, they should. And if you go along with sticking to EVGA, don't complain, it's as simple as that.

11. PyroGX2000

PyroGX2000 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 680 SLI
    I'm not gonna boycott EVGA because their cards are sitting in my computer. Is there any way to patch this all up and pay the man?

I don't want to lose any of these features, and if you have to pay small licensing fee, so what?

As a man who controls GPU fan speed and has a Logitech G510 with LCD panel, this is a must!

Please EVGA, reverse your decision and include Unwinder somehow, just talk it out!

12. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    This was my second EVGA card. Can't say that I liked precision much, I'd much rather have the old Rivatuner back. Not sure I'm gonna follow the bandwagon of boycott in this thread.

I've been following the situation and I don't get the insane uproar over this. How much are they f***ing Unwinder over? Is it negative publicity for him? Should he have remained on the payroll of EVGA? What is it that they did to warrant a boycott?

As always, big fan of Unwinder. I'm just trying to see it from EVGA's perspective.

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    The level of hate isn't against eVGA in essence.

It's the fact that people are just sick to their stomachs with big rich companies taking the pish out of the small guy.

They are the ones who tried to steal someone's life time of work and get away with it.
    They then went public and blatantly lied about the whole subject.

This kind of action from a multi-million dollar company causes rage and hatred, so of course people are going to jump on the band wagon and call for boycotts.

That's life 101.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Um you need to do some hands on research because you obviously did not read the entire thread. We are not hating on EVGA for hardware reasons. It is software that we called them out on. Also you support a company stealing someone else's work? It seems like it to me. There is nothing wrong with their hardware department. It is software. EVGA is not the only company that makes elite equipment.

15. GPU

GPU Guest

I use afterburner works great and is rivatuner in it's glory.[some features paid for by msi but I have evga cards]
    I don't care what name is in front of , it was/and still is rivatuner :banana:

the big problem is it starts out as msi afterburner and the evga card group has a big problem with that for some reason :bang::bang::bang: ,

so it's not ok to throw evga under the bus ,but it's ok not to use anything with msi in it ,I find really child like imo.

-until evga sorts out px-15 just use AB.

it's the evga peeps that have a issue as msi-ab is not on the flag they wave.:bang::bang:
    what if they have a msi card and a evga card in sli which one would they use ???

-but does fit the rivatuner flag I fly . imo.:banana:

AND peeps that do not run either evga or msi cards AND can't use either with theirs cards because their flag name is not in ab or px - sad
    -not sure why peeps can't get their heads around that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2014

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Can't you just use AB on EVGA cards?

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Basically it does work with EVGA cards. Yet I don't know about special things like g510 compatibility

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sorry but I call BS on that.

Btw could u please stop telling owners of AMD GCN cards to use unofficial overclocking in AB. It should be DISABLED.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  19. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    This /thread

20. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X

First post. Something tells me this guy works for EVGA