NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 arrives at Gamescom?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. tugCREW

tugCREW Member

GPU:
    zotac gtx 480 1.5gb SLI
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    guess i'll go with a couple 880's then.

3. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)
    Pass till 4K gaming on PC becomes mainstream.

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This will be a great upgrade for 680 (and older) owners, not so much for 780/780Ti, but this is normal... or at least it has become normal in the last generations of cards. Upgrading every generation is a waste of time and money. To be honest I wouldn't even upgrade either if my cards would have more vram, but right now I am so gimped by the vram at 1440p it's unbelievable.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the reveal.

5. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    New series of cards used to be huge differences in the past, thinking of old generation series card like 6800U->7800GTX->8800GTX, I remembe being amazed by how incredibly strongk these cards were compared to the older ones, often creating a mid-range card that would equal the performance of the flagship card of the previous generation with like half the size.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yep... those were the days.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And they are long gone. Still, an 880Ti with custom board layout and cooler will be an option for me. Considering I didn't spend any money on a graphics card since 2011, late 2014/early 2015 will be a good time to spend a couple hundred bucks, building a new system from scratch.

Yet again, as you all know, something better is always around the corner, that hasn't changed for the last 15 years. The increase in performance declined between generations, I agree, but then again, what would one wait for? DX13 with new effects or something? Pascal refresh? It's a never ending story, and the right time to upgrade is always just when you need it, regardless of what the next GPU generation or the smaller fabrication is supposed to bring...

Seeing the machines most of you guys have, I wouldn't upgrade either ;)

8. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I'm afraid this is the result of having a dominant market position, Nvidia don't need to stretch themselves, just keep 1 step ahead of AMD. We should all be wishing that AMD can make progress, it will be good for all PC gamers regardless of which brand they buy.

9. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    I'll be interested in one of these if the price is right......... we'll see

10. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Anyone speculate how much memory these new cards will come with?

If they are 20% faster than a Titan/780 Ti then I'm all for that with 670's.

I'm guessing these cards are coming sooner than we expected too?

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I have read topics from our very own guru3d forums and some people said 4gb and 8gb versions.

12. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    It is needed especially with AA and 1440p.

13. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    i got 3x 780s 3 way-sli gaming @ 2560 x 1600 on a 30 dell u3014 ill just wait and see ps .. like more vid mem ...

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It will have 4GB vram, with 8GB variations coming out later... hopefully not too late as with the 780s with 6GB... ._.

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I actually believe they will make a 4GB standard, yet I don't really see 8GB of any use (atm)... I don't even believe UHD heavily modded with all eye candy would sum up to 8GB, with proper coding and optimization, that is.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I think the problem is more that there aren't any games pushing for new hardware. "Back in the day" when PC exclusives still existed (big exclusives, not greenlight steam releases from 3 guys in a basement that are horribly coded) hardware was needed. I remember FarCry coming out and running like a dog on my old 9800 Pro and then nvidia finally got passed the FX-series fiacso and released the 6800 GT that Oc'd to Ultra speeds and I was able to play FarCry with great IQ. Same with Doom 3, Half-Life 2.....all these games that came to PC a year before they got ported down to a console. Sigh. I miss those days. This is why I largely have focused my attention to my ps4/xb1/wii u - exclusives.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The problem is, exactly that's why they won't change it, because PC gamers give in and buy themselves consoles... although I'm not a fan of it, you could see those steam machines as a try to counter it, yet a very weak one.
    Had those PS2 and PS3 boxes, and I'm fed up with the little flexibility they offer, let alone the price they charge for how little you get out of them (just my opinion as a guy that likes to build PCs as a hobby)

18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Well things change, I remember when Street Figher2 ran far better on my SNES than it did on my PC.

The cutting edge is now 144hz, 1440p or even 4K with IQ settings turned all the way up. I can think of plenty of games that need 1 or more top-end cards for that.

rFactor2 is a PC exclusive. The PS4 can't even get close to the experience of a top quality racing sim with 3 screens running 144fps.

Yes, things are different now with most games being designed for both consoles and PCs but there is absolutely a need and demand for better PC graphics cards. It's unfortunate for everyone that we are drip-fed them by Nvidia because AMD isn't quite up to speed.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    THIS, so much this... the hardware, especially with high vram is more than needed if you game like that, and frankly those are settings for the year 2014, 1080p 60fps is fun and all (if you are pleased by that) but it's the past. I've been at 1440p for like 3 years and if the current hardware wouldn't be so weak and immensly overpriced, I would even go for 4k, but that will have to wait a couple of more years.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Excuse me, but I play games just fine on your so called past stuff.

I don't need a fancy higher resolution to enjoy it more, for whom, if I want bigger FOV I just downsample from 3200x1800 + on nice HQ IPS matrix. That poor TN 144hz can't run at 144hz downsample anyway + it has lower IQ..

And 4k UHD is again 60Hz, wow so much for that :p