Is a Digital Connection (HDMI or S/Pdif) the best way to go?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, May 7, 2012.

1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    If analog is the only "true" surround,why would anyone want Digital. I for one,prefer analog. Digital or emulated surround doesn't cut it for me. I figure it's better to buy a high end sound card and go from there.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Becomes some people want the ease of using one cable to connect there audio to their system. Then some people uses Digital with their External Dac Amp's.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Who said analog is the only true surround? You can get surround sound with either connection method.

4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Everything I've read about 5.1 surround sound suggest 5.1 analog to be a "true surround", If I remember correctly,you even said it, or at least you agreed with that description. I believe it to be a true surround. If in fact I'm wrong,what IS a "true surround"? Thanks ROB.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012

5. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Whether you go digital from your source to a receiver, and then out to your speakers, or you go analogue from a sound card to an amp/receiver, it ends up being analogue out to the speakers anyway.

Spdif can support up to 6 channels (5.1 surround sound), if I know what I'm talking about.

6. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I checked the Razer Tiamat FAQ,and they refer to the Tiamat headphones as being a "true" analog surround. Many forums etc. refer to 5.1 or 7.1 analog as "true". I don't know,I'm just saying what everyone else is saying. I know one thing for sure,there is a difference in gaming with analog as opposed to digital,and analog is way better. I've had quite a few headphones,both 5.1 and stereo with a digital surround source,and there's no comparison. In my opinion. And as most of you know,I'm NEVER really happy. That's why you'll see me buying so many sound cards and headphones. I must say this though,I'm about as happy with what I'm using right now as I've ever been. Analog all the way.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No, I would have never said something like that and if you got that from a posting of mine you misunderstood it.

Analog connection to a receiver to surround.
    Equals
    Digital connection to a receiver to surround.

Both are the same, just the conversion takes place in a different location.

Not sure, what you mean about true surround.
    True surround would be 6 channel or more but offering discrete channels.
    Older systems such as early prologic, used a surround channel, both rear channels operating on one channel more or less. Systems then advanced to Dolby Digital 5.1 which has left rear and right rear which is a big advancement. What comes after is all built off that tech.

You can have this surround using analog or digital one is not always superior to the other.

Not sure if that is what you are asking or not. If I am still misunderstanding your question or suggestion..let me know and I will try and clarify the information.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  8. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+

They're just referring to having multiple drivers in the earcups as opposed to simulating the surround sound effect. This has nothing to do with analogue vs digital in the scope of this thread, but definitely opens up another huge can of worms (you're referring to true speakers vs DSP - this thread is referring to analogue vs digital connections between devices, such as a sound card to a receiver).

Analogue from a sound card to a receiver could very well sound better than digital to the receiver, if the sound card has a superior DAC/output stage/etc.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If you are running a high end soundcard, chances are analog connection will trump a digital connection unless, you are running a very high end receiver...and I mean very high end...few thousand.

10. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    How much its cost I only now bought yamaha rx-359
    I use spdif because on analog/ multy Chanel there no bass
    I waste 2 days to turn on the ddl with my recon3d

Does my reciver OK what company DAC this reciver have?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

11. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    This is your Yamaha Receiver :) http://www.world-import.com/Yamaha-RX-V359.htm

It's decent and has most things you need...

regards,
    RagDoll.

12. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Which receiver do you have? Have the PCIx1 version of the D1 and have it connected with Swans M50w. As per your post Claro Plus sounds like way better card than DX/D1. This interests me :nerd::3eyes:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  13. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    And I do agree with you (your post in a different thread) about DX/D1 having a hollow type of sound despite sounding way better than onboard audio. It sounds like it can be improved.

It is this one right:

http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html

EDIT: Hmm.. Claro Plus is a $180 card vs the $100 D1/DX so the comparison in terms of price is not justified. For that price Claro Plus is comparable to Xonar ST/STX etc.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  14. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    You don't need video transfer so just use the SPDIF.

15. ReconNyko

ReconNyko Guest

GPU:
    GTX680
    Well, light is analog.
    If the length of the metal wire is long, noise is generated in proportion to the electric conductivity.

Light is analog
    Light is a very good medium to communicate.

Because the shielded optical fiber has very low noise.
    And the delay is very low.
    You just
    Keeping the glass in the optical cable is the best way to get the best quality.
    It should not be a curve.

Is this a controversy?

And you are human.
    You are not an animal communicating at a frequency, so humans have a limitation of the hearing range.

The machine accepts 99999999999999hz and downscale to
    Considering the frequency loss due to impurities in the air,
    22050hz frequency coming to your ears

So you always hear 22050hz ~ 10%±

If you hear more than 22050Hz ± directly, you will lose the overfrequency.
    The sound quality is lowered.

That's all.

So it is the job of the sound engineer to move the 22050hz± to your ear correctly with minimal air friction.

I am sorry for my bad english

Electricity ← Electronic communication / frequency / noise

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Sorry to dig this up, but i'm having a dilemma with my gaming build.

I have an Asus Tuf B450M-Pro Gaming, and it has a 1220A onboard sound chip, but only Coax SPDif.

Now, I just want to use the SPDif for Games basically, as I have another machine for Video/Audio consumption, via tha HDMI on my Amp.

I haver a Denon AVR-X550BT Amp
    https://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/homecinema/avreceiver/avrx550bt

and Klipsch Speakers.

Now, I have a USB SoundCard (please don't cringe at this bit) that has an SPDif out on it, but its a really crappy USB SoundCard.
    https://www.startech.com/fr/en/Card...Channel-Audio-Adapter-with-SPDIF~ICUSBAUDIO7D

Would the Optical SPDif out on this be OK ?
    Will there be any signal degradation due to the USB connector or will it just be Digital all the way to the Amp ?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  17. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    I would say to run HDMI from the computer to the Denon, then HDMI from the Denon to the computer screen.
    Hopefully the Denon comes with a graphics (HDMI) pass thru setting.

But I guess if you run S/PDIF optical from the motherboard to the Denon, you can use the motherboard's DTS audio (headphone) feature.

Can't see any good reason for using USB, with current hardware.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    @Evildead666

There's no benefit in choosing either Coax SPDIF or Optical SPDIF. Your receiver should have both options for inputs. Use whichever is simpler and easier.

19. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Checked the manual, looks like the Denon receiver only has optical input, no coaxial (not a big deal).

20. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I only want to use optical SPdif, i just want to know if its going to work OK with the external USB card, and if the quality is going to be good enough.

I thnik i'm just going to have to try it out and see what happens.
    ;)