Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 16, 2014.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    One of the Achievements requires you to OC the GPU Core to 3 GHz without a Heatsink.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Actually the only thing that protects one corporation's product manager from finding himself into legal hot water is the fact that I'm not located in US.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh ok my bad.

He has the right to post the story. It is called Freedom of the Press or Freedom of Speech. They can't sue him for posting an article.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  4. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    If something inappropriate has occurred here it is a matter of fact whether that has occurred. The title of the article is a question - a case isn't a question it is a representation of fact. You go in front of a judge and say "this guy hurt me" not "did this guy hurt me?". Also there are legal issues here, such as EVGA being USA based and I don't believe Unwinder is.

This is a rock and hard place issue. Unwinder has contributed a lot historically. EVGA is my favorite gfx card mfg and has always done right by me. If there is something legal here it needs to play out through proper process and wild speculation isn't necessary and really any of it comes from a place of ignorance. Unwinder and EVGA have the license agreements or contracts plus any renewals - they are the parties that know and act accordingly. I notice Unwinder posted a hyperlink to MSI product info on EVGA's forums... if there is a case that sort of flaming isn't going to help.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Since he developed the program for EVGA as well as MSI. It is very possible that EVGA has the source code because they have to review his work before uploading it. I bet that they just use some of the original code that they had and modified it.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Neither EVGA nor MSI have access to source code.

7. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    It's fked up what EVGA did! Unwinder has been the best since Adam had pampers.I love their cards but this move was just foul, considering Precision was getting features for FREE! Not a big deal for ppl who bios flash their OCs, all I need is fan control but it's still fked up.
    I mean wtf are corporations thinking? You swear that after all the cheap tricks, backhanded dealings, misleading marketing and what not, you swear they're gonna be ruling the fking galaxy or something.This is the fking problem with capitalism.It's fking everything up, the world over!

John Milton: You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it can split atoms with its desire; you build egos the size of cathedrals; fiber-optically connect the world to every eager impulse; grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green, gold-plated fantasies, until every human becomes an aspiring emperor, becomes his own God... and where can you go from there?

...I'll tell you where! One egotistic azzhole ruling everything by themselves.This is the poisonous ideal that's infected the world and we're all along for the ride, because GOD FORBID you try to be different, think different, you get thrown off the fking bus and ridiculed."He's crazy talkin like that, he needs help!" "Yes he does, so sad!" agreeing with each other cus they've ONLY JUST found their COMMON purpose in condemning YOU..FK IT....BE FKING DIFFERENT!!!!!!!

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh ok. Then EVGA must have access to the code from the previous versions of the software and they modified it to create this questionable version.

9. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    They have no access to the source code according to Unwinder. They can however try to reverse engineer the program.

We have no idea how much 'is' borrowed from Unwinder at this point. Is it only the GUI with its core re-written? Its very uncomfortable to see a design this close from different developers.

10. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE

11. rakunvar

rakunvar Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    Doesnt really matter, its getting released today and still gives back story to it for people to read imo.

12. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Errrr, are they making the software require Steam on top of ripping off the UI?

13. Sulfix

Sulfix Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 1080 ti SLI
  14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Found this posted from Jacob Freeman the product manager, on the Steam forum for Precision:
    "That is only one side of the story, firstly no code was copied. In fact, EVGA does not even have the source code from the original Precision. Secondly, PrecisionX 15 is new code built from the ground up. The GUI looks similar, well it should since the original GUI was 100% designed by EVGA, many other elements were too like voltage control, Bluetooth and more. The menus and such look similar too because, well why change them? They work well and people are familar with how they look.

Lastly, the original Precision was always a joint effort anyways, some elements were designed by EVGA others were licensed like the RTSS server, and many features were added because EVGA requested it. In this new version we rebuilt all back end code from scratch. This will allow us to continue to add more features in the future, and not be bound by any "exclusivities".

http://steamcommunity.com/app/268850/discussions/0/41973820471952647/

Whoops! Sorry Sulfix. I didn't refresh the thread prior to posting this.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Interesting comment because Jacob is flat out lying there:

"the original GUI was 100% designed by EVGA", while in fact the only thing EVGA designed was the main skin. The rest is RivaTuner Core architecture (like all UI screenshots shown in our news-post).

"The menus and such look similar too because, well why change them? They work well and people are familar with how they look."

Yep, that's basically saying we copied/cloned it.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also he said that no code was copied as well which is BS based off what you just said Hilbert. Also anyone that has a steam forum account can call him out on this. Maybe Unwinder can create a C&D letter for this even though he is from Russia.

17. gringopig

gringopig Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    I'm astonished at the over-the-top toxicity I'm seeing here - from accusations of theft to rants about captilism and rhetoric about defending to the death.

At most, this is a matter between the parties involved and actually, none of our business.

Absolutely overblown and verging on the ridiculous in my opinion.

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I believe that is what he's talking about regarding the main interface or GUI is the skin and the placement of the elements. The settings in the menu system are different and I don't believe he's talking about that because he addressed it separately. Just about every menu in Windows applications are similar ie. 'cloned/copied' because they are familiar even though the underlying code/applications are completely different.

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oh I am pretty sure they didn't copy code, I mean they can't be that stupid. But they did clone 'reproduce' the entire UI as the screenshots clearly show.

It is all very unfortunate and unprofessional, but most of all very disrespectful to Unwinder.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Maybe this backstabbing is because MSI exclusivity ? (64bit etc). Not trying to defend things here because what they did was wrong.