My Watch Dogs Lens Flares

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by SoloCreep, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    That kind of lens flares (anamorphic) is only used in helicopter lights in the game. As far as modders, say the engine does not allow the game to draw more than one anamorphic lens flare on light sources in single screen, and if you go above that limit the lightning system breaks. At least that's what I heard, would love to see someone coming up with a workaround though.

2. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I have tried these and yeah they look awesome in a picture or in a rainy, foggy video "like the E3 video". But as soon as you take away the atmosphere, they are horribly out of place. I do have another flare that is pretty close to that, smaller, same cooler, similar shape. Problem is, its lost in one of my folders or patches. If I come across it I will put it up. I already spent 4 hours one night looking for one of my flares and ended up not finding it, I had to start from scratch. As for people saying they crash the game or cause problems. I have never had problems with 1 car or 50 cars on the screen, my game has never crashed. I have my own defaultrenderconfig, so maybe my settings helps. Maybe its my 12gb of memory, I don't know.

3. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @SoloCreep

Very nice work! I included the MFteal lensflares in Lunayah's Mod V3.1 Warm and they look just awesome!!!

4. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I am glad to hear that. I usually do not use bloom in my patches so I was wondering how they would look with bloom. Also different colorgrading can affect how they look, so its a relief to hear it works with that mod.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014

5. XAFAfterShock

XAFAfterShock Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
    for some reason I can't get these to show any changes, I'm using theworse 0.8 and dragging the patch.fat into Gibbed.Disrupt.Unpack and then putting the xbt file into graphics\_textures\lights and then repacking it. Or am I doing it wrong?

6. S1Lent40

S1Lent40 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 780 ACX 3g
    @ flexinho

I was wondering if u could upload a screenshot or two? Thanks
    :)

7. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    You do know 0.8 has a bunch of things wrong with it? It is a broken version and it should have never been released.
    --Please remove version 0.8 and get version 0.97c here http://theworsemod.blogspot.com/ or use this one http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390558 . Personally I think the second choice is a lot better. Install a newer "working mod" and try the flares again. Good Luck!

8. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Guest

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
  9. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
  10. FriskyNoodle

FriskyNoodle Guest

GPU:
    1070 Seahawk X
    Maybe hes suggesting to use that one

11. nuvasek

nuvasek Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 2GB OC
    any update about your e3 lensflares?

12. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    I have never uploaded a screenshot in any thread, so I don't know how it works, haha. If I want to integrate a screenshot, it asks for a link. I could find out how it works, but have no time now. Sorry mate!

13. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    SoloCreep,

I like your Starlight Wider Lighter version. It doesn't look too excessive and has a great aesthetic at the same time, definitely a lot better than the vanilla round lens flares.

But I've noticed something. I think you made it "too wide" and the edges of the lens flare gets cut when you come closer to car headlights. From far they look good but the issue occurs when you walk closer to them. Have you noticed that yourself?

Let me explain what I'm trying to say with a picture.

The one above is how it should look. And it looks just like that while you're far from headlights. But when you get close to them, like, standing in front of a car, the edges get cut as shown in the one below.

[​IMG]

Maybe because there is a size limitation for lens flare textures and you went above that?

Other than that issue I love your work, still using it. Do you think you can fix that?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  14. XAFAfterShock

XAFAfterShock Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
    I threw on your HQ Warm version and used my sweetfx settings with the blue lens flare and it looks pretty good, do you have warm vs subtle screenshot to show the exact difference. I downloaded both versions but using the warm one for now.

[​IMG]

15. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I know exactly what you're talking about and. I must have uploaded the unfinished copy. On the final version, I softened the end of the tips so they faded out instead of what you see. I had to reinstall Windows today and as soon as I find the file, I will upload. If I don't find it right in a reasonable amount of time, I will make a quick edit and upload it. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and sorry about that.

Also.. I am going to upload the one I use. Its like the others but the color is perfect in that its not too bright, not too dark. I nailed the color perfect so that it shows just the right amount of flare during the different times of night. To me it sounds like you and I have the same taste.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

16. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Thanks for the heads up. I would love to try them both, your personal favorite and the edited file, if you happen to find it. Again, great job with that.

17. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI

I fixed it and thanks again for letting me know. You'll just need to download the pack again. Oh and my favorite that I use is nothing special. It's the same as the regular star flares but its darker, softer and has more blur. So in game it really makes a difference. Its effective and subtle like the one you like. I would rather all of them had more blur and were softer but everyone has different taste.

18. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    For the heck of it. One night I took the helicopter flare "the version theworse made" and put it on the cars. It just looked out of place on the cars. It looks great on the helicopter as intended.

19. BossMafioso

BossMafioso Guest

GPU:
    7970ghz
    Did you try with tweaking lighteffectprefab.lib?

http://i.imgur.com/evm13tI.jpg

I think with some nice texture it can look preety good, not with my ugly one :)
    http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/24710251/file.html

With my lighteffectprefab.lib you should make the texture in 1000:350 aspect ratio and then resize it to example 1024x256.

Edit.
    Or you can make the lens flare much longer
    http://i.imgur.com/wg1dozK.jpg

http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/49826036/file.html (only lib file without texture)
    With that original aspect ratio for texture 2000:350

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  20. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Wow. First time I'm seeing the hedlight flares that wide. :)

Even though it looks good for screenshot purposes I find it too excessive to be present in the actual game. E3 presentation had a similar flare at the beginning of the trailer, but it was also heavily effected with bokeh DOF so it didn't look bad. It was more like a pre-gameplay cutscene.

I favor SoloCreep's wider lighter version so far, it's exactly how it should be.