NEC EA244UHD 23.8" has 4k IPS Panel

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NEC announced the release of a new 23.8" sized screen that sits in their EA series. under SKU code EA244UHD the product offers a 4k 3840 x 2160 resolution and an AH-IPS panel. The screen looks t...

NEC EA244UHD 23.8" has 4k IPS Panel

2. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    I have seen a few 4K Monitors mostly 28inch + and the Scaling with Windows sucks so how will it work at 23-24 inches seems kinda crazy and broken to me.

3. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Can't you adjust windows ICON scaling for 200%?

4. riardon

riardon Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX760
    Why they make so ugly monitors? They manage to make nice performance but they fail miserably in design. I see many monitors even if they sell as premium they look terrible like its 20 years old or smth. Really ugly.

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Scaling works pretty much fine in most apps that I tried. Also in this case you're going for 200% scaling, so even legacy apps will look ok as you'd get each pixel upscaled to 2x2 square, so there will be no blur.

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Actually, the problem is not windows but only some particulary old appliccations who have not been updated and dont have an UI done for thoses resolution / dont scale well. ( winzip, winrar, well this type of thing .)

Professionally wise it is not much a problem as software are easely scalable and with modifiable CUI ( Custom User Interface for CAD etc )..

Now i fear a little beat what you gain on place is taked back by the scaling needed on a 24" monitor size. But maybe it look really good in term of sharpness.

But yes they will need some time for see everyone really rethink a bit their softwares UI for 4K resolution.

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It sucks in Windows 7... but works quite well in W8.1.

8. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    16:9 sucks, the very second Dell release a 3840x2400 IPS I will be all over it!

9. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    With a respons time of a drunken monkey no thx.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i am intrested 4k 24" monitor as anything bigger and i might as well just use my hdtv.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk what apps you tried but in my experience the DPI scaling has been awful on 4K.

12. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    With 150% scaling it may be not the best, also getting .Net 4.5.2 helps with some .Net apps, as prior to that version, there was a bug with Windows.Forms controls scaling. Anyway what I tried and worked perfect, in alphabetical order:
    - Battlefield 4
    - Diablo 3 in native screen resolution
    - Firefox, with all the pages I tried (I haven't tested Flash)
    - Notepad++
    - Office 2013
    - Paint.Net
    - Spotify
    - SQL Server Management Studio
    - Visual Studio 2013
    - Windows 8.1 in general

- All Modern UI (Metro) apps

What works poorly:
    - Chrome, at least the build I tried at that time was just bad no high-dpi stuff at all, reverting to big pixels
    - Diablo 3 required compatibility settings to get it to work at lower res and was showing huge cursor

And that's it. I don't really use much more stuff.
    The trick is to use 200% scaling and proper settings to make legacy apps look ok, but I didn't really have to deal with it.

If I could trade my 24" screen for 4k one without huge lag, I'd do it right away.

13. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    1000:1 doesn't worth the price.

14. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    It's an IPS panel. You give up the ultra fast response of a TN panel for way better colors. But I'd hardly call 6ms "drunken monkey" speed.

That is a true contrast ratio. When you see a monitor with a 1 million to 1 ratio, it's artificially raised by the dynamic back lighting. If you turn that off (which you should if you are gaming) the true ratio will be around 1000:1 in most cases. Besides you should look for color accuracy more than contrast ratio, that is the number that actually means anything.

I personally think 1080p is just fine for me. But I have always been a more mid-range kinda gamer.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Not only that: There is no standard test for contrast ratio. Every company does their own thing and essentially just say whatever the hell they want. Two monitors from different companies rated at 1000:1 could be worlds apart.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    not at that price no thanks, I`ll be on 1440 for a while yet.

17. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Believe me i know what is the difference between static and dynamic contrasts, i have 8 years old monitor with tn matrix, which produces 1600:1 contrast, 350cd/m2 brightness, 4ms black to white. It cost me ~320USD at the time, and is far superior than many today monitors. Even viewing angle is good, but IPS has better viewing angle. I can easily compare my IPS, i can't say that colors look better of IPS screen. My point is that after 8 years they can't make anything better? OLED looks superior to me, but those black spots killing me.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014