AMD Will Relaunch 5GHz FX-9590 Processor with Liquid Cooling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2014.

1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's hardly desperate. The problem with Bulldozer in general is that some design elements were poorly implemented for unknown reasons. Like the inclusion of shared FPU resources for one thing. If there were 8 FPU modules each linked to an integer core, with the only thing being shared were banks of L3, the chip would have easily given Intel a run for its money performance wise. Even though the power usage would have probably still been just as high. It at least would have been competitive. But I think they were banking too much on being able to achieve high frequency and perform well purely in integer based tasking.

Oh well, it's hard to get things exactly right when your company is as poorly manged as AMD has been. Not to mention their cash flow is obviously significantly restricted. Even then, having unlimited cash doesn't seem to be doing Intel many favors. They're still struggling for some reason to put out a competitive chip against ARM for phones and tablets.

2. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    They are hardly dragging their feet. Seems to me folks have a selective memory on where things where just 2 years ago as compared to today. Things are slowly moving around towards the better. A straight up CPU is not as big a deal as it once was.

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Ok they launch a new box of the FX with liquid cooling.. well its a non news at best, they could have change the color of the box and thats it..

Then peoples start to speak about the fx lines ..

1month ago, AMD have shown their plan for the next 4years... They developp right now ARM 64bits for server where they expect to setup a new level of performance of ARM processors ( this time really designed from scratch to perform for HPC computing ( and not the classic ARM design ), they developp new Opteron lines, and new high performance desktop processors x86 who sould compleltey break with the bulldozer design.

With all the new technology developped by them in the aspect of high performance computing ( including stacked 3D rams ( who will be licenced and used by Nvidia for Pascal GPU's (SK Hinyx HBM), their developping on language for let work ARM + x86 inside the same system / OS / environnement ( allready shown by them ).. There's maybe better to speak about them than a new package for an old cpu. My I7 4930K was sold in a package with Intel Liquid cooler, and it was hopefull, because even at stock speed 130W is really high for the air cooler we find in cpu boxes.

No need to discuss for years because AMD release a new package for an old processor.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Care to remind me where they were two years ago? I seem to remember it being in a poor position compared to Intel when it came to single threaded performance. If you like you can go back a further two years before that? Same thing. Their solution to the problem was what exactly in the long term? Clinging to the same old socket and ramping up clock speeds on technology with poor single threaded performance and ever increasing power requirements.

Your response doesn't even make sense, a straight up CPU is not a big deal? For what exactly, gaming? That's not what's being discussed here, the performance of the CPU is being discussed. There are a ton of scenarios where the CPU is incredibly important, even in gaming. You can't excuse a poor showing from AMD in the CPU department by saying that the 'CPU doesn't matter'. It's the equivalent of saying a Ford Fiesta is just as good as a Lamborghini because you can't drive over 60mph anyway.

I realise you have AMD hardware, and that's fine. But while it isn't utterly terrible, it could be a lot better on the processor side. It doesn't matter how you try to skew peoples words, AMD haven't done anything particularly impressive for a long time in the CPU department. Neither have Intel for that matter, but they don't need to.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I would never buy AMD again, FX are really medicore. they only good at multi threaded but lack in all other front, that why Sandy bridge and afterwards(minus heat issues of Ivy+) are the perfect CPUS.

There is no area when intel cpus are weak, they destroy everything, and that is why i wouldn't recommend AMD to anyone at all... UNLESS someone want super low weak budget cpu with nice APU, the only area where AMD are good is graphic, but even their they not the best but that out of this topic.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    $1000 for that pseudo oven? Ha, I'd consider it for $120 if the AMD motherboards are considerably cheaper than Intel ones. Wait, no I wouldn't, it probably loses out to my 1st gen i7 at 4GHz in real world scenarios where everything is dual and single threaded.

7. lantian

lantian Guest

ROFL i7 920 will be raped by 5ghz fx in just about everything, its about the same as phenom 2 970, you must have forgotten that back then amd was able to compete with there phenoms

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You don't seem to understand how slow clock for clock these AMD CPUs are. They're slower than the old architecture they replaced. In single threaded applications they're a joke. A first gen i7 at 4GHz probably does beat it out in many single threaded programs and those chips were common in 2009.

And no, when AMD released the Phenoms they were slower than the Core 2s, a generation before the i7s. So if you consider "competing" as releasing a product much later than the opposition, then failing to compare to their offerings, then yes they did compete... and lost billions in the process. The same thing happened with the Phenom 2s.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    On what planet would this happen? Intel clock speeds are faster than AMD clock speeds. Also the AMD 8 core is really a quad core with hyperthreading if I am not mistaken. Also the Core 2's helped Intel regain their top dog title against the phenoms.

10. kd7

kd7 Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    define best

11. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro

I did not say anything you said in the first 2/3rds of your post but and yes, you do seem to be exhibiting a selective memory here. Hummm, according to you, they only have the 990FX chipset and only a FX9590 and nothing else. :3eyes:

Also, they have some new stuff coming in 2015 or 2016 that is replacing their CMT architecture. However, they are no longer going to produce a CPU only chip ever again. (That is fine by me since they do not need to and the APU's are moving their way up.)

Edit: Oh, and it would be more like comparing a Mustang GT or Dodge Challenger SRT8 to a Lamborghini.

It would be more accurate to say as poorly managed as AMD used to be.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    They were side stepped since socket 775 and been behind ever since. The better cpu always gets my money. I am not a charity organization looking to help a company stay afloat.

13. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    much more polished drivers, awesome features out of the box, good price(to AMD favor they doing that), customer support, no need to wait for non ref design to use a card... weird performance issues at some games.

I had AMD cards for 6 years in raw and i hated nvidia so much for no reason, now i went back to nvidia in 2012 with GTX 680 and 780. my xp with nvidia is light years better than with AMD, though i don't hate them and they got good product, but there is a reason why nvidia holds 65% despite being called "the devil" company by lot of users.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    @moab600 :
    So you hated on Nvidia for years, and now you're over to Nvidia, you're hating on AMD ?

I really hope you keep to your word that you'll never buy anything AMD again.
    That way when Intel comes out with the Next P4, and AMD does their thing, you'll be left out.

Never say never.

CPU's are very quickly becoming irrelevant even in the gaming space.
    There is no need for above a quad core atm for games.
    8 threads might be needed when more games come directly ported from the consoles, but thats only if they haven't coded it to use Desktop CPU's, and even then, AMD would have a leg-up, due to their CPU's being used in both of the consoles.

If anything, AMD being in the two most powerful/highest sales consoles should help them in the short term.

This liquid cooled amd chip is going to be the highest end CPU for the moment. Its not going to sell a lot, thats for sure.

We could probably get away with gaming on (quad/octo) ARM chips soon, with just powerful GPU's.

BTW, the Archomedes did have some games, and there were some pretty damn cool demo's available that showed off the hardware video and sound capabilities.
    There was a version of Tetris that was awesome, and iirc, it was one of the first home computers to be able to animate a flag blowing in the wind (with like 20 tiles though).
    It was meant to be educational, as it was the follow up to the BBC model B Microcomputer. It was also bloody expensive.

edit : here's three demos to whet your appetite. :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlhBGM5Wsew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz-Jvvy7Qlo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKAA2HrnTDI

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    The new FX gonna be bad just like the previous, it gonna be the highest end of AMD, but those who seeking the best will ignore it like plague... it won't bring anything new, intel cpus are better.

I stated that i don't hate AMD, though i don't like them much but don't hate. they done good stuff in the past and they have good variety of cards today, from my XP nvidia is vastly superior specially in 3D section.

As for AMD vs Intel, intel will be always on top, unless they screw and we gonna be back to A64 vs NetBurst.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    From My experience, Nvidia like to cheat when they can, lie, and have F-ing huge pricetags.
    They also like to keep nice technology to themselves (PhysX), when they could have made so much more money by opening it up, or having a low end GPU as a dedicated card (with no video out).

They have the cash because they got a good foothold in the Tesla/Quadro business, right from the start.
    FirePro cards have always played catchup, at a much lower price.

I have Intel and AMD right now, and a GTX 650 for Hybrid PhysX.
    Haven't installed it yet, since the only Physx capable game I have installed is Metro, and I've finished it.

As I said, never say never, just take things as they come.
    Some day soon you may have an AMD rig :) LOL and then we'll pull this thread back out of the archives ;)

I'm really really hoping that AMD get the next architecture right, and they become real contenders again, so it'll push Intel to do more than give us a 100MHz clockspeed bump, and a rename of chipsets for years.

AMD brought us SATA3 and USB3 onto mainboards first didn't they ?
    Then Intel had to play catchup.

Anyway, this post is now too long. :)

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    We sum it up never say never, anything can get boomed :D. If next gen AMD will have better cards then i switch to AMD, if NVIDIA will be doing well i stick to them.

As for CPU well i can't believe AMD will ever catch up in all front, but one can hope. i really don't care much, as intel cpus are just perfect.

18. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'll give AMD the benefit of the doubt, some of the Old DEC Alpha engineers have gone back to AMD, some of those who brought us the Athlon XP and Athlon 64 iirc :)

So hopes are better ;)

19. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I totally agree. :) It still will not be a CPU only in my opinion but it will be much better nonetheless.

20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I specifically used the word "has" for this very reason. They've definitely gotten things on the right track as of late.