Review: ASUS Z97 SaberTooth Mark 1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review we look at the ASUS Z97 SaberTooth Mark 1 motherboard from ASUS. The Z97 TUF themed mainboard is intended for Intel's 22nm Haswell and Haswell refresh processors on that Socket LGA1150...

Review: ASUS Z97 SaberTooth Mark 1

2. Method320

Method320 Member

GPU:
    460 GTX 1GB
  3. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    £150 ain't expensive, especially for what you get, and i can find them over here (uk) no problem so yeah.
    *i'll check review laters as i'm in the market for one.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

5. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    i feel it's way too cluttered near cpu, my current board was just a lil too cluttered to go direct die with the cpu retainer removed.
    compare the gigabyte soc, the cpu area is free to go direct die /sub zero even, no clutter at all.(same cheap price too :p )
    [​IMG]

the MSI z97 boards seem to do well generally from the other reviews i've looked at too.

6. cala86

cala86 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 580@915
    great board but i don't like the thermal armor. I absolutely prefer to look at the components, not only to appreciate the hi-tech stuff inside the case with my geek-eye :D , but also to control, remove easily dust, and first of all i want fresh and direct air on every component of the board, to ensure max lifespan to my stuff.

7. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    one of these on a test bench would be perfect, if done well would be incredible imo.
    gpu would need backplate.

8. cala86

cala86 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 580@915
    i was talking about the plastic cover. About the backplate, i agree that on a gpu it has a sense, but an atx motherboard secured to a case or a bench test with his 9 screws,i don't think it has rigidity problems.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    If you look around, there are some reviews that show that the thermal armor is better in some areas compared to conventional motherboards (open air). From what I remember, it's no worse than normal motherboards in terms of cooling in any part.

Only reason I've got it on my desk waiting for the 4790k is for the 5 year warranty. I'm on my 4th 750i sli ftw, so I'm hoping that ASUS has better quality, but I need proof first.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You and me both I am going to be getting a Asus z97 pro board and hoping that is just as good if not better than my old Gigabyte board that I have currently.

Also there is a Sabertooth board with out the thermal armor which is cheaper in price.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Nice board but here in Portugal the Deluxe version costs more 20 to 40€ and for that amount i think the Deluxe is a better option.

12. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I love my board. :nerd:

13. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I want to know more about the TUF cover. Does it actually decrease temps at all? How about with the vents closed? How about with the fans they included? How hot does the chipset run without the fans? Without the armor?

I want to know more about the main feature of the board I guess is what I'm trying to say.

I'll keep an eye out for those.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    From what I saw it was mostly a gimmick (this cover), also those mini fans can be a bit meh if it fails..
    I opt for Deluxe back then, it seemed more robust with 16vrm phase and that big passive cooling heatsink.

15. Serial T.

Serial T. Member

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX 780Ti
    These have been out for awhile and they even have a Mark 2 that's cheaper over here, I was going to get the Mark 1 and a 4790k but I wanted a Hexacore for something new and couldn't wait so hence the 4960X. The Sabertooth X79 isn't nearly as cluttered but doesn't have all the armour. Still if the 4790K have of been released earlier I'd be using one on the Sabertooth Z97.

Have any of the earlier Sabertooth mobos on other chipsets ever received differing versions such as a Mark 1 and 2? I know the X58 didn't.

Great review as always Hilbert, thanks.

16. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    I would go with Pro, bigger heatsinks like on Deluxe, but cheaper.

17. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I'd much rather go with an Asrock Z97 Extreme 9 for that kind of money.

18. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    i'd rather the MarkII

[​IMG]