HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Really? that quick eh?

Interesting. Thanks a lot

the only other option I suppose would be to start testing 33,34,35,36,37,38,39,3A,3B,3C,3D,3E, and so on.

Did you ever happen to try the 31 flag? It's basically the same as the gears of war flag but with the view projection type used with the Aliens Colonial marines flag.

There is also 4F,5F,6F,8F,9F,BF,CF,DF,EF,FF

These all have functions and I know each one, but yet have gotten to work correctly with a game.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    - Red Faction Guerrilla -
    8xQ in game http://i.minus.com/ifDtFlxtwRkum.png
    8xQ enhanced to 8xSGSSAA http://i.minus.com/ihRm6cCSdYc1i.png

Though it does miss some stuff.

I also found out, that since you can't force the best quality SGSSAA in Red Faction 3, is that you can not only enhance the in game MSAA with SGSSAA, but you can also do HSAA AND stack DSR and driver FXAA on top! (+enhanced SGSSAA) That sounds like a mess that would end up looking bad. But i'll let the results speak for themselves http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/103126

The reason being that even enhancing 8xSGSSAA leaves some stuff behind, and FXAA cleans up any left over edges and unwanted high frequency information. So instead of using 8xSGSSAA. You use DSR with 2xMSAA (or any of your choosing) and enhance that with 4xS(1x2)+2xSGSSAA which helps on horizontal edges even more (Even though height is the x2 factor), and FXAA cleans up the remaining.
    Here's a 100% crop at native resolution comparison
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/103127
    Once that is downsampled with DSR any negatives from FXAA (as you can see some reverse AA in the above comparison) are null from such a large 4:1 ratio.

At 3200x1800, this runs just south of 30FPS on a 570

So a simpler step by step guide to this is.
    1. Set desired MSAA level in game
    2. Set inspector to "Enhance Application setting"
    3. Set desired HSAA mode (In this case, 4xS which is 1x2+2xMSAA)
    4. Then set transparency supersampling mode to respective SGSSAA (In this case 2xSGSSAA)
    5. Set "Toggle FXAA on or off" to "ON"
    6. Save settings.
    7. Enable DSR with NVCP
    8. Now start the game and set desired DSR resolution (In this case 2x2)

Let's call this SEHSSAA! Super Enhanced Hybrid Super Sampling Anti Aliasing!

HERP!:bounce:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Nice job with RF:Guerrilla.
    In my experience, the only way to get decent AA in this game is to set "8xQ" ingame and enhance that with 4xTrSSAA or 8xTrSSAA.
    And then possibly do some downsampling on top of that.
    Enhancing with SGSSAA has no visual advantages over TrSSAA in this game.
    The same is the case with RF:Armageddon.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I actually disagree. In my testing Enhancing 8xSGSSAA *DOES* make a difference.

More than TrSSAA. The picture clearly shows that it clears up more that TrSSAA wouldn't be able to.

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    It does yes, but very little.
    And the performance difference is big compared to TrSSAA.
    Downsampling+TrSSAA will look much better than simply enhancing with SGSSAA alone in this engine.

6. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    @Mr Bonk

Is there any rhyme and/or reason as to which flags are 'likely candidates' based on other flags that 'kinda work'?

To be clear, for Lego Marvel I've found that the 10 and 13 flags both 'work', albeit with flickering issues. Based on this, are there certain other flags that are more likely to work than others (i.e. other flags ending in 0 or 3), or must every possible combo (00 to FF) be attempted in all cases? The boot-up time of this game makes flag testing particularly tedious...

As for Lost Planet 3, I may or may not conduct more testing, as I'm not sure I will continue to play the game... but maybe ;)

7. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    I've tried all you suggested, none of them works, including 31.

Basically, flags that worked at all:
    10 - heavy bleeding but stable
    13 - heavy bleeding but stable
    20 - some bleeding and flickering
    21 - no bleeding at all, but flickers
    2F
    30 - heavy bleeding but stable

Any ideas?

8. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Does anyone know of any HBAO flags that work with any Unity games? Or is that just a wild goose chase?

9. Zyrusticae

Zyrusticae Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 4GB (x2)
    So I just went through basically the entire list for XCOM: Enemy Within -

0x00000010 - Doesn't bleed, but toggles on and off depending on what's on screen.
    0x00000013 - Does not flicker, but bleeds through EVERYTHING
    0x00000020 - Doesn't bleed, but flickers frequently
    0x00000021 - Same as above
    0x00000024 - Same as 0x00000010
    0x00000025 - Please gawd, why, gawd, why? *ahem*... Same as above.
    0x00000026 - Same
    0x0000002F - Seems to work the best out of the others, but still has some odd flickering and is EXTREMELY subtle. If only there were some way to combine the strengths of this and 0x00000013...
    0x00000030 - Same as 0x00000010
    0x00000034 - Oh hey, this one kind of - nope. Same as 0x00000010

So, yeah. That was kind of disappointing. The ones that toggle on and off (which is basically all of them) seem to only do so when a specific kind of asset is on the screen. Not sure what Firaxis is doing there but that's the only reason the UE3 bits have so much trouble with the game.

In the meantime I'm just using 13 because **** it, I don't mind the bleeding that much and I'd rather have HBAO+ working than none at all. Also, either I haven't found a good SGSSAA bit or the game's performance is just abysmal, because I can't get the game to run at anywhere near an acceptable frame rate even with just 2x SGSSAA. Oh, well!

10. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    It is a bit :) But back when I played:

* SGSSAA bit
    * SLI bit
    * Bonus, my SweetFX profile

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Are there any working HBAO+ flags for the recent LEGO games (Marvel Super Heroes, Movie Videogame and The Hobbit) as the SSAO in those games is either ineffectual or broken according to Digital Foundry?

12. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Regarding Lego Marvel Super Heroes, I am currently searching for an issue-less flag.

The best I have found so far is 0x00000013, though this flickers off occasionally depending what is on screen and the angle of the camera etc. Am hoping to find a flag without this issue, but the hunt is rather tedious...

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    At this point you may be out of options short of trying 0x0000032F,0x0000012F,0x0000022F,0x0000042F,0x0000082F
    Yeah, boot up time for games can make it a very painful process.

With Red Faction for example mind you, I found what function exactly was making things work/not work and tried flags that contained that function until I found 2D that worked pretty subtle without much issue. (And in this case the function was "Ignore draw calls with two or more primitives")

The fact that both 10 and 13 worked initially for you may say that the 1 is the key here, and in this case the 1 is the function for "View projection 1"

Other flag values that share this function are "0x00000050,0x00000090,0x00000030"

So this leaves you with flags in the 1x range, 5x range, 9x range and 3x range. Which leaves you with 16 combinations for each range.

It is no guarantee however
    0x00000017 worked with Surgeon Simulator 2013 and 0x00000004 worked with spintires>

Another note to everyone is that in some cases there may be circumstances with a game that you cannot control what will happen. I use Torchlight 2 for an example. HBAO+ works generally fine except in certain cirumstances, even forced AA does not work in these same ones. Read the info box in the OP for it. This doesn't mean the flag isn't usable when testing

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah is one of those more customized UE3 games that are a pain to deal with.

You can try 0x0000003F, this contains all of the functions in 2F and 13, there is also 3B, 4F, 8F and 9F

But with 10 and 13 would you mind posting pictures and what exactly causes it to flicker on and off with 10?

I ALSO suggest everyone when you are testing to perhaps try a flag at different resolutions. I discovered with both Mafia II and Murdered Soul Suspect that , resolution CAN factor in a difference. And in the case of Murdered Soul Suspect, it was the difference between HBAO+ working perfectly and flickering on and off.

See my post here

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  15. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Thanks for the tips on likely candidates. This will help at least guide the process for me a bit :)

I will also try out 0x00000017 and 0x00000004 on another Unity game or two, and will try different resolutions with my Marvel Lego flags (10 and 13) just to see if that does affect the flickering artifacts.

16. tapioks

tapioks Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780M 4GB
    Found a better flag for:

Lego Marvel Superheroes: 0x0000001C
    This one is more subtle (less dark), but I have not encountered any 'flickering' artifacts yet as I did with the 10 and 13 flags. So far 1C is the lead candidate for Lego Marvel (and maybe other Lego games?) Will post some screens and such once testing is complete.

17. Zyrusticae

Zyrusticae Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 4GB (x2)
    Oh wow, that SLI bit is a massive improvement. I'm surprised they didn't go with that one, as the default one in the drivers now has all the problems you stated.

The SGSSAA bit, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be working right, as there's way too much aliasing present even at 8x SGSSAA. With the performance boost from the SLI bit tho, I just decided to downsample from 3200x1800, which runs beautifully.

Yeah, I'll get around to it when I have time. I'm pretty addicted to this game now. Heh, I spent my entire weekend playing nothing but more XCOM. I do wish it was more faithful to the original (there are loads of mechanics that are simplified or outright missing even with Enemy Within), but it's still incredibly deep and fun in its own right.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks, I'll try this with that game and also LEGO The Hobbit and The LEGO Movie Videogame too.

I picked all of those games up cheap in the Steam sales but aside from the lack of in-game SSAO and half-decent AA, I've noticed that the shadows are also rather blocky in comparison with the PS4 which is actually better except for the 30 FPS framerate. It leads me to think that the PC LEGO games are based off the older 360/PS3 versions and not the superior PS4/Xbox One versions which is a shame.

Also, The LEGO Movie Videogame has a bug where the in-game V-Sync option when set to ON is not saved at all as when I quit and reload the game is reverts back to OFF. Thankfully that issue can be fixed by creating a profile for the game and forcing it in the NVIDIA driver control panel. I'm shocked that it was not patched but then I get the sense the PC LEGO games are afterthoughts. Traveler's Tales have never improved on their awful Edge AA for example which is really poor and just blurs the edges giving the game a vaseline-smeared look. Yuck!

19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
  20. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Based on the behavior of the AO bits you are describing above, I suggest you try "0x00000002", "0x00000022", "0x00000023" and "0x0000002D" as a last desperate attempt of getting decent HBAO+ working in XCOM.
    Bear in mind, that I do not own the game, so this is just a qualified guess based on my experiences with various AO bits ;)