MSI R9 270(non X) overclock with Asus GPU Tweak

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Imperious, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Bought this card nearly a week ago thinking it was just a downclocked version of the 270x. Hadn't noticed in all the reviews I read that it has 1 pcie connector instead of 2 on the 270x model. My mistake but not prepared to cop a 10% restocking fee to change my purchase.

Poked around looking for overclocking utilities. Having used MSI afterburner for the last 4 1/2 years with my HD5850 [RIP] I tried that. Unfortunately even though it's a MSI gaming card voltage control doesn't work with their own software.
    Sapphire trixx does but offers no nice information graphs like AB does. Then I tried Asus GPU tweak and found everything is there and working. If AB unlocks voltage control down the track I'll jump back to that as overall it's a bit more polished than Asus gpu tweak.

I have also gone down the track of modding the bios to increase the cards TDP limit from +-20% to +-50%, then changed the registry to allow that 50% in powertune, information found here

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18509458

If I could figure out how to set that to +- 30% that would be better as when I tried 30% the card black screened in Valley benchmark, +25% so far is all good with GPU at 1.2v, 1150mhz, memory 6000mhz.

Considering I'm running an over 4 year old i5-750 I thing my benchmarks are pretty good with this card. Finding a truly stable OC will take some more time, Crysis 3 usually craps out fairly quick on a dodgy OC, but I was playing for 1/2 hour before no probs.

As usual, modify Your cards bios at Your own risk, same goes for the registry and GPU Tweak software. Do not set the power limit at 50%, as I said the card black screened at +30%

[​IMG]

2. mayberry1

mayberry1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 660 Ti FTW+
    Crazy that you were able to overclock the memory to 6000 MHz. Is this easily achievable with other cards? I have a 280 that runs at 5200 MHz stock. I was interested in trying to get it to 6000 MHz, but thought that would be too crazy of an overclock, so I didn't try it.

Just curious, what's the stock Core and Memory clock for your card?

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    7900's and 280's overclock like beasts! I pushed mine to 1150/1600 with 1.2v. Matches even 770gtx.

4. mayberry1

mayberry1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 660 Ti FTW+
    Awesome! I'm going to have to play around with ASUS GPU Tweak and see how far I can push mine.

5. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Stock core is 950mhz, memory 5600.

Asus GPU tweak is obviously showing the quad value, original 1400mhz or 1500mhz overclocked.

The worst that can happen is the video card will crash Your computer with black screen, coloured screen, or artifacts. Just put it back afterwards.

I'm thinking of doing crossfire, but need to research it first.