Nvidia GTX 880 & 870 Coming This Fall ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    it'll be 4, with 8gb versions imo.
    6 is the sweet spot for uber high end imo, and is reserved for the titan.

2. KotS

KotS Member

Why 256bit? Disappointed.

3. In article it says 32 ROPs. in chart 40 ROPs. Or am I missing something?

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Sick of these rumours, will comment when I see actual official specs come out. I am looking forward to these cards either way, just in time for The Witcher 3, GTA V etc.

5. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    Q4 is a great time to upgrade, i'm going the cpu route this time round, all going to plan of course.
    prolly devils canyon.

6. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    After seeing the files that where hidden away, and the improvements in both graphics and performance using said files I think what they shipped was indeed a console port.
    They simple shoved all the PC stuff into a file went with the console code. This also is why its using so much Vram and Page File its trying to use PC resources as it would with a console.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just going to leave this here

8. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    We still have so many DX9 games because the PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles where around for 9 freaking years, heck they are still making games for them.

9. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Yeah, i dont want to make the mistake i made, when i bought 2x 295 for quad sli, and then less than a year later, they are "worthless", cause they didnt support dx11.

So ill probably wait until there is released a Card that is 100% confirmed to fully support dx12... and then ill take 2x of the double vram versions.

10. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    Everyone's talking about DX12 support but I thought it was stated a while back all current Nvidia cards 400 series and up are backward compatible. DX12 is nothing really special to warrant a hardware upgrade; pretty much an extension to DX11. Even sites like Newegg and Amazon are showing the 700 series support DX12.

Read this article.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This, DX12 is supposed to be compatible with older generations, same for AMD irrc, unlike previous DX versions this should be more of a low level API maybe similar to what Mantle is doing?

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Most of DX12 is compatible but there are certain features they are adding which will require hardware changes. They've only talked about two features so far, neither of which are major but they said there will be more in the future.

Also the other thing is that games will obviously have to be developed on DX12. It's not like all DX11 titles will suddenly get a boost in performance, not unless they are updated. I don't know why people expected differently but i've seen several posts that make it seem like people are waiting for DX12 to increase performance in DX11 titles. That isn't happening.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  13. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    This!

Whole discussion about DX12 is nonsens when DX12 launch and first cards with DX12 most game still be DX9-11.

Consoles already are limited and they are how old 8 months?

PC will suffer again but now already from beginning launch consoles.

Better get rid of PC if your playing games we eather get a inferior console port or no port at all:(

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Not this.

Most games out will be DX9-11, obviously, but Microsoft is releasing a developer preview of DX12 this fall which they haven't really done with any other previous edition of DX. DX11 had ~20 games within 2 years of launch.

Xbox One supports DX12.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I want a single card solution this time. No problems with sli, just like to save on power/heat/noise this time.

880gtx, 4gb vram, that allows me to run gta 5 at 1440, 2x aa, 60fps minimum..

else

msgbox "gtfo"

end if.

16. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    Exciting , i'm hoping for 870. Hope we don't have to wait too long.

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Well for those of us with GTX 780 SLI and higher, I just don't see a reason to upgrade or the hassle to sell cards for these.

Hopefully they pull out an 880 Ti or something later on that will make an upgrade worth while.

I'd honestly like a single card/gpu solution for 2K that will maintain 60 fps in today's games instead of SLI. If they have a GTX 880 Ti planned, that just may do it.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    A 4 GB GTX 880 will very likely be next card depending on the pricing. Although the GTX 780 has been a great card, it did cost £550 at launch and, annoyingly only a few months later the more powerful GTX 780 Ti was released for the same price. As such I'm wondering if it might be better to wait a few months to see if a Ti version is released and even if 4 GB of VRAM will be enough for 1920x1200 in future games (2015 and onwards)?

I'm not intending upgrading from a 1920x1200 any time soon because that is the sweet spot for games IMO as it means I can have higher framerates on maxed out settings vs. what I'd get if I moved up to a 2560x1600 or even 4K display (the latter of which have dropped in price since they launched).

19. BedantP

BedantP Guest

GPU:
    1660Ti
    Memory Bandwidth (as I can make out).... is lowered?
    Go for the TITAN Black?, NEVER!!!!!!!
    GTX880 looks like the bang for the buck!
    Just let that moment come when my dad allows to make a rig!
    Probably buy something from Pascal Architecture...... and probably stick with high end desktops or notebooks (probably) ...... I like gaming on the go..... But when I keep my laptop on my lap, It freaking burns it out.... My lap seems reddish..

4k? Say what I dont want to have a million-dollar monitor which only gives 4k res which is crystal sharp and your eyes even cant make any huge difference gaming on 1920x1080 on A LED 42" TV with HDMI almost rocks (My gpu is a MOBILE GPU!!!!! GIVE IT PEACE) So I use 1366x768 (My laptop monitor...)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Speculated GeForce GM200 GPU Details:

Confirmed: GeForce Maxwell architecture
    Safe: planned for the enthusiast / professional segment (successor of the GK110 chips)
    Pretty sure: 28nm manufacturing by TSMC
    Pretty certain tape-out June / July 2014
    Speculative: up to ~ 600mm ² die area
    Speculative: DirectX 12 in hardware
    Speculative: ~ 4000 shader units
    Speculative: 512-bit DDR memory interface
    Accepted: performance index to ~ 4000 shader units roughly ~ 750% to ~ 800% (level GeForce GTX 780 Ti +40% to +50%)

http://wcc ftech.com/nvidias-flagship-geforce-maxwell-gm200-gpu-spotted-ready-consumers-year/

Nvidia may skip 20nm process technology, jump straight to 16nm
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...0nm-process-technology-jump-straight-to-16nm/

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014