Downsampling with AMD: Guide and Demonstration

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BlackZero, Jul 25, 2012.

1. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    I want to go back to the old downsampling method.
    Can someone please verify that I have the right idea how it was ?

I am no on 14.14(on windows7 64) so
    1. amd_cleanup_util_1.2.1.0 - it is that older cleanup amd utility. not sure if there is newere verison but this one always worked for me
    2. install AMD_Catalyst_12.11_Beta11_NET4 - as latest drivers which worked with old tool.
    3.DownSamplingGui0.6 - set 1440p and 1530(or whatever highest that was)
    4.Install AMD_Catalyst_13.6_Beta2 - those are latest drivers at all, on which custom resolutions made by amd downsampling gui tool worked right ? These were not showing up on any other later drivers right ???????

if I will want to play a new game or something that require current drivers I can just install new drivers on top of that. Then ds resolutions will no longer show up but I can just use cleanup amd util and revert to 13.6b2 and they will show again. I've had it like that on last windows7 installation..Just reinstalled some time ago and forgot fully how to do it

2. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Yeah, that should be correct. 13.6 beta2's were the last ones that this worked for as far as I know.

3. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    thanks for confirmation. I need to get some sleep. Will be toying tomorrow.

4. HiCZoK

HiCZoK Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1060 6GB G1
    I never knew how to do that

5. nojas

nojas Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 - MSI TF3
    14.4 works, 14.6 doesn't work

With the 14.6 beta driver, I cannot get downsampling to work on Win-7 x64.

My monitor will only accept a max resolution of 1920x1080, but using Anypaper's guide and 14.4, I could sucessfully downsample from 2160x1350 via drivers.

I didn't require the modded monitor driver and only needed to change width, height and vdisplay values in the registry. http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9957265&postcount=6448

The same method will not work on 14.6, even with the monitor driver mod.

BTW, I connect by DVI or HDMI and am trying to get a 2160x1350 resolution on my 1440x900 LCD.

I had previously experimented with CRU, but later reset all to default.
    TIA !

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  6. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Kept 14.6 in for about 20mins got lots of poly stretching and image corruption in the few games i tried (didn't like the 10 Degree temp boost that came with them either)....but if as you say there's no way to get DS working post 14.4
    that's a bit ****ty.....

Roy@AMD "chasing now" sure....chasing now to kill it off more like :banana:

7. nojas

nojas Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 - MSI TF3
    Come on Roy! I may be a niche user, but I'm going to swap my HD 7950 for a GTX 760 at some point as Nvidia's downsampling is great.

8. Maxinova

Maxinova Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 290X
    Hello everyone,

I can't find anywhere what to modify in the registry in order to have my native 2560*1440 screen to display higher resolution, I've tried to modify everything myself but I don't understand what are HTotal, the HSyncStart, etc...

Any help for a lost soul ?

9. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    I went back to the 14.4's because of similar reasons. However, with 14.6, downsampling was working just fine as in previous versions.

10. Nonlin

Nonlin Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 280x DD
    So whats the trick to get this to work on 14.4? I tried searching for ModeTimingOverrides in my registry but couldn't find it.

11. Quentin's_SweetFX

Quentin's_SweetFX Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE R9 OC 270X 4GB
    Does not work with anything but them older drivers.

But there is a piece of software made for darksouls 2 that downsamples it and many other games. I am using it myself

Here is the link for it:)

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=544

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  12. Nonlin

Nonlin Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 280x DD

13. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Gedosato is amazing, but it needs more time for improvements.
    DX10/11 support is lacking and it have an odd behavior with SweetFX (probably because this one is applied before downsampling, so effects like lumasharpen looks like craep). I know that Gedosato has post-effects as well, but SweetFX is way more flexible and complete. Sadly, taking screenshots with SFX usually don't capture Gedosato post-effects in my experience, so we can't combine both for screenshot purposes. I'm not aware about how conbine both in a efficient way, at least (feel free to tell me how, also).

But IQ is amazing, way better than this registry hack can provide, in my humble opinion.
    Borderlands 2 looks beatiful with it and performs great.

Now Durante is implementing profiles and stuff, this will really help A LOT and will be really more pleasant to mess around with the app.

14. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Good to know borderlands works good with his tool, this is next on my list to play :)
    I do recall the aliased edges before and I find that ugly, with something like 4k dowsampled to 1080 will be stunning :)

15. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Yep Gedosato is a pretty genius piece of coding and has come on greatly since alpha 1 the IQ boost i gives kicks the **** out of anything either AMD or Nv offer :banana:

The new Pre-DS FXAA/SMAA option is fantastic at removing any un AA'ed edges that are hanging around

Here's a sBs @ 3k (3840x2160 DS to 2560x1440) with/without Pre-DS aa
    from space marine (only has poor post fxaa no support for msaa)

[​IMG]

time to dig up some older un-AA able games to see how they look already tried ghost busters which again looks great DS'ed with pre-DS FXAA its like a new game!

16. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Me=shocked! Hey this pre-DS AA works with all DX9 games? Also have you noticed big fps impact, not from ds, but applying pre-ds AA (since it is working on much larger area)?

17. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Haven't really measured the FPS hit,as use MSI AB to lock my games to 58fps (helps keep temps down and removes screen tearing for me) but at 3.5 to 4k to 2560x1440 toggling pre-ds FXAA on/off in game i see about 10% a gpu usage spike

ATM Gedosato is a WIP so not every DX9 game works but all the ones that work sofar with its downsampling feature have allowed me to use Pre-ds FXAA
    you can also use the postFX feature but atm its not as feature rich as sweetfx and seems to have a much larger hit with like for like effects/values.

I think 4k pre-ds FXAA'ed looks fantastic in games that have lots of alpha textures or thin poly feature such as powerlines and the like,infact id say it looks as good as 8k ds no FXAA

Here's a full screen shot of 4k pre-ds FXAA to 2560x1440 from transformer WFC its an unreal engine DX9 port so no msaa support

shot is about 2mb and 2560x1440

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAAA-c/MQJ4Owg_d0Y/s0/TF_4k_pre_fxaa.jpg

18. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    But doesn't SMAA/FXAA or any kind of Post Processing with driver downsampling, provide the same effect?

Because SMAA/FXAA is always applied at full resolution in that case.

19. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    haven't found a way to driver downsample from anything above 2720x1530 on my 7970 (my hazro 27wc craps out at anything above that) and 2720 to 2560 isn't much of a downsample & with Gedosato i can push up the DS res in 16:9 steps till i find the limit were i start to dip below 60fps of each game perfet for using your hardware to the fullest

20. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    I was having problems to get this working with 14.4 + R9280X.
    I've followed what @ablev said and now is working flawless.

Thanks man!