The official MMA thread - everything Mixed Martial Arts!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by DSparil, Jun 16, 2014.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Any MMA fans amongst the guru's? I wanted to start a thread completely devoted to the competitive sport of MMA! A place where we can all discuss anything mixed martial arts - fighters, big fights, champions, upcoming bouts, history, anything :)

Personally, I have been following the UFC ever since the Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Tank Abbott, Royce Gracie days. The sport has really evolved and its great watching some of the current champions talent. Jon Jones (current Light Heavyweight champion) is an absolute monster and its amazing how he adapts for every fight he is in. The only fight I've even seen him tested, was against the Swedish brawler Alex Gustaffson. That should be quite a rematch. In regards to the middleweight division, I still feel like Chris Weidman beating Anderson Silva was a fluke and I don't like him going around saying he beat him twice. He beat him ONCE and the second time Silva broke his leg. I really don't think we'll see Weidman at the top spot for too long - someone will usurp his belt.

So lets talk about some MMA. You into Bellator? UFC? World Series of Fighting, K-1? Who is your guy, and what do you think about some of the upcoming fights? I am looking forward to Machida vs Weidman on July 5th!

:vader:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I watched fights of Fedor Emelianenko occasionally. Unfortunately he did not show his best in USA. Also I was impressed by Mirco Crocop. I am not fan of martial arts sports. I prefer game sports. But being a former athlete I appreciate athleticism and the will to win.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The best fighters for me were Rickson Gracie, Marco Ruas and Royce Gracie.
    I still own UFC 1 and 2 on VHS cassette:)

4. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I've been watching UFC for 2-3 years, and watched some fights in youtube and other sites to know better older fighters.

Anderson Silva is amazing and it's a shame that he provoked Weidman too much in the first fight. Otherwise I think he would still be the champion and a fight with Jon Jones would be inevitable. In this category watch for Ronaldo "Jacaré" Souza, still no spotlights on him, but he's superb, a beast with incredible jiu-jitsu skills. I like Frankie Edgar and José Aldo a lot too.

Renan Barão's loss to TJ Dillashaw was the greatest upset I've seen. The rematch is going to be amazing.

Jon Jones is getting more confident and that can be a problem for the Viking in the rematch. But I still think Cormier can shock the world.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

5. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Big fan of the UFC since watching it on VHS from the start. Wish Jon Jones was fighting Daniel Cormier next.

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I agree on Jones and the Swede... I think Jones may be more successful in their rematch. He knows what Gustaffson is bringing to the table now and will be better prepared for it.

You aren't kidding on the Barao vs Dillashaw fight, WOW. Is it just me, or did Barao look a bit off that night? I read he had trouble making weight and he may have been sapped of some energy. Either way, that was one heck of a performance by Dillashaw and I would like to see a rematch. Rumor has it that Barao will not get one right away though, and will have to face another top contender first.

Indeed its a shame Anderson Silva showboated so much and threw the first fight away like that. He underestimated Weidman, and I think if he hadn't he could indeed still have the belt. Guess we'll see what happens upon his return. After all, he will be 39 years old by then...

Who knows, we just might! Jon Jones doesn't want to sign the papers to rematch and wants Cormier. Dana White wants the rematch though so if things go how they typically do in America, the boss will get his way lol

7. Godimus

Godimus Guest

GPU:
    everchanging
    Im a Brazilian jiu-jitsu Black Belt Been training since the mid ,early 90's as a teenager .. big MMA fan..1 of my teachers still hold the fastest submission in UFC history. Love to talk MMA with anyone .cheers

8. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB

Barão was different than previous fights from the start, but that almost-KO he suffered helped TJ a lot. When he fell after the punch I thought the fight was over and Dillashaw had won in a spectacular way. Instead he won in a spectacular way in five rounds. But I think Renan will get the belt again, no matter when and who he fights.

I don't know if Anderson is still going for the belt, it depends a lot on his recovery and who he has to fight before the title-shot.

Jon Jones entered the last fight so loose, he was dancing and screaming when the TV showed him. I think this is a positive thing, he is more and more confident in his skills, but did not lose his respect for the adversary one second. Glover has massive knockout power and couldn't hit anything clearly.

I think Gustafsson will get the rematch, but Jones will get away from the Viking's powerful jabs and try different things.

9. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    One more thing, Jon Jones obviously watched some Roy Jones Jr. fights. He even used one movement the great boxer used to do. With the hands on the hip he moves his head forward than backwards and throw a punch, it's amazing.

This video shows it somewhere in the middle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkMAf0ZHO_k

Jones Jr. was THE boxer, Anderson Silva is his fan too.

10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Dana White pulled the contract card on Jon Jones. The rematch between him and Gustaffson will be at UFC 178 in September. After that, I'm pretty sure Daniel Cormier is next on the totem pole for a title shot. After the beating he gave Dan Henderson last month, I feel for either Gustaffson or Jones. Let me correct that. That wasn't a beating, that was a mauling. In all the years i've watched Dan Henderson, I have never seen him get beat like that before.

11. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Well to be fair to Dan Henderson who is a great fighter...that's the wrong weight class for him.

12. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    What! thats crazy. When were they first aired?

Love UFC, though dont really have time to follow it much.

13. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Haha, I knew Dana would get his way on that one! The boss usually wins out in the end. Alex deserves the shot, although I would definitely rather see Jones vs Cormier. I"m sure it will still be an entertaining fight. Now the question is, will Cormier "wait it out" like he says or take another fight in the meantime? I think waiting for the shot at Jones would be a bad idea. He'd get a little ring rust and Jones would be fresh. After all, Alex vs Jones isn't until the end of this year and then it would be another 4-6 mo before Cormier gets him!

Cormier is very very confident in his ability though, as he should be. He fights one of the best in the world, Cain Velasquez all of the time in training, so every time he enters the ring, he thinks "I look at the other guy across me and think, that's not Cain Velasquez. I got this".

Being fair again, Hendo has won 1 out of what, his last 5 fights? He is over 43 years of age and that body isn't quite clikcing like it once did. He is still a beast, don't get me wrong.... that right hand is a cannon! He is just on a downward slope. Cormier did look especially impressive vs him though.

14. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I've really fell out of the UFC as of late, there's just too many events and not enough talent so it's weak card after weak card.

15. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    There are much more secondary events now that are good to discover good new fighters, of course some bad will come with it. Stick to their primary event, usually there are good fights.

16. Arend.C

Arend.C Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Meh, not realy a big fan of the UFC... I like watching things like Glory kickboxing alot more than the UFC..

I practise Krav Maga myself.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    They were aired in early 90s i think, It had Royce Gracie, Jason Delucia, Pat Smith, Jonny Rhodes, Fred Ettish and some others i forgotten the name of.

Royce Gracie destroyed all of them breaking a couple of arms in the process, Jason Delucia (kung Fu) was one of them but i forget the other one.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    So true. Here comes this scrawny guy with minimal muscle, CRUSHING these big tough guys. Gracie Jiu Jitsu revolutionized MMA.... no one could believe what they were seeing as he neutralized guys three times his size.

19. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    Shamrock and Severn were big guys and Gracie didn't care much. But the final fight against Severn in UFC 4 is really boring, 15 minutes of the same thing until Royce submitted the big guy.

20. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    ^^^ Totaly agree, I know this thread is about MMA but Roy Jones Jr. was and still is boxer No.1 for me. What happened to him, like he disappeared into ground, didn't googled about him for years...