After hours testing... Watch Dogs (E3 Bloom effect working)

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by TheWorse, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Thankyou to morbias. This thread would be so much more constructive and just plain pleasant if Kad was prevented from constantly interfering. We're all so very tired of it now.

Moving on the DOF looks fantastic and I personally would really appreciate a much closer camera at all times.

2. LionAUT

LionAUT Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    YAY!

Finally someone found settings for DOF, so i can start playing ^^

Nice find!

3. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    You guys seriously need to stop this.

I'm a regular user and don't know jack about modding myself, except some tricks like forcing vsync, using injectors and simple config tweaks etc. And I've been following Kad's work since day one. He's trying to get some things working from the E3 trailer with good intent. I've been following TheWorse as well, he seems like a nice fella, making his share of findings available to everyone. I respect their efforts and appreciate their passion for making the game look even better.

But I'll be honest here; I've been testing every xml config and modification they've been releasing, and I have to say that even though there were some improvements here and there, the performance hit that came with the modifications were not worth it. The vanilla game runs like cr#p already, and the mods made them run even worse for me. I'd take less stuttering any day than those changes that came with the mods, so unless Ubisoft decide to take the matter into their own hands, the mods here are somewhat unusable for me. I'm sorry if that sounds too discouraging, but that's the truth.

The only improvement that I really loved so far was TheWorse's bloom shaders. I'm not sure if that's genuinely E3 shaders or not; I just love some bloom extravaganza. The reason I'm favoring his mod is that you don't have to use a modified XML file, which causes my game to get seriously plagued with stutters. By using TheWorse's mod I can stick with my own default XML file created by the game itself, and change the in-game settings as I want. That way I get the overdone bloom effect in game with no fps hit.

I said that before and I'll say it once again; I appreciate your effort to make the game look as good as the E3 trailer but that's not the first issue that has to be adressed with this game. The game doesn't look half as gorgeous as the E3 trailers (due to shaders being left out) and that's a genuine problem in the list, but the number one problem that has to be solved before anything else is the performance issues. If that issue remains unsolved, all the other work you do is kind of in vain as people will not be able to enjoy your graphics enhancements on their PCs without tearing their hair out, due to the ever increasing stuttering issues. I'd really love to see a mod that solely focuses on increasing performance without compromising graphics too much.

PS. Please don't even think about banning Maldo, he's a legend in my eyes. You sir, are the creator of one of the most intensive mods out there. I'm still playing Crysis 2 with your 4.0 mod (and Quality Mod combined) and the game turns into something that cannot be easily matched even by the most gorgeous looking next-gen games out there. That was years of work and frankly, I don't think Crytek themselves would do better.

The true definition of a modder right there.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  4. Downtown

Downtown Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB 1300/7800
    It is pretty sad how UBISOFT cut these things like this DOF, bloom, etc. on the other hand they not cut too much they just ADD things only for E3 and propagation and then they disable it. Retail game is so clean in distance that you can see bad LOD .. No they jsut cut the fog out :D

5. scitek

scitek Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    I like the bloom and the headlight shadows, personally. Both add a lot to the overall presentation.

@theworse, what I think the person above meant when he asked if the DOF was dynamic was, does it focus on different things as you move around (i.e. on things you're looking at?) Or, does it just stay with whatever depth you set permanently?

6. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    Headlight shadows are nice, but they're too glitchy at this point. I've had some serious flickering issues so unless TheWorse finds a way to get it to work as it's supposed to be, I'll rule that one out as well. Loving the bloom so much, though. Great work there.

7. mbushnaq00

mbushnaq00 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti 6GB
    great work but please fix the smoke flickering ... its very annoying

8. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    This is what I don't understand Downtown. The fog added back in not only improves performance as it limits the LOD but it just makes the world much more authentic looking in general. I remember having the same exact issue with AC games with no distance fogging or option included. Why Ubisoft don't include one of the most fundamental graphical options that's been around for decades (anyone remember Ground Zero's in game fog option?) I will never know.

9. scitek

scitek Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Interesting, I haven't noticed any serious issues. Just the weird gap in lighting in front of the one sports car. Smoke flickers, but I can ignore that.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Thanks!

11. marcelXtreme

marcelXtreme Guest

GPU:
    XFX-HD 7850-2gb
    GTA V fog is georgeous

12. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    I can bey ANYTHING that the PC version we have here is just a glorified port of the console version, and nothing more. I made some comparisons at home as I have both versions and frankly, I don't see much of a difference except higher resolution and better AA. I don't know if I'm unfortunate as I'm an AMD user but this game, my friends, has the worst optimization job of my recent recollection. I don't remember getting this p#ssed off for a game since RAGE and its infamous texture pop-ins.

I'm going to b#tch and moan about it every single day untill they undo the cr#ptacular job they did with Watch_Dogs, that is of course if they ever undo it.

Back to the modification- maybe TheWorse can do something about the awful looking draw distance with his new DOF discovery.

13. WeSbO

WeSbO Guest

GPU:
    Fury X stock
    I still think the game was downgraded not because of performance issues, but because they didn't want everyone to notice how better the PC could do over the next-gen consoles, they could have done better but that was not what they where asked to do (I mean that phrase about "nobody cares about the pc" (can't remember the exact wording) in the code was very telling)

Concidereing a 500$ computer could run the game better than a PS4 with better quality. (FX 6300 + 270x)

14. ggp759

ggp759 Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680
    Sorry for my ignorance. Are those files in the mod(patch.dat and patch.fat) supposed to replace something in the folder i put them? Do i have to override other files? Because i cant. Also am i supposed to do something else for this to work besides putting those 2 files in the specific folder? Thanks a lot!

15. Gorefather

Gorefather Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R290x

No...

16. VAAS

VAAS Guest

GPU:
    Asus R9270OC 2Gb
    @Theworse, are those settings right?? Why they are so lower than default?

Code:
    <geometry>
    FSMObjectMinSize="0.001"
    FSMRealTreeMinSize="0.001"
    </geometry>

17. ggp759

ggp759 Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX 680
    Thanks do if i want to return to the default settings i just delete those 2 files?

18. kadzait24

kadzait24 Guest

GPU:
    2 Way SLI PNY GTX 770 2GB
    Thats fine then. Let this thread go on and TheWorse "Mod" release. I wont say anything else here.

If you like this guy practices ( even he was banned before for this same reasons ) lets bring it on at Guru3D.

And later , when i release 5.0 myself, lets see if im "jealous" of something represented here. And the name of the thread is also wrong, it didnt took hours for him, it took a copy paste from mine and added a bloom effect with binhex changes randomly just to see when it was going to work out.... its exposed here. And thats a buggy bloom, totally wrong values. Thats not "E3 Bloom" at all. Its some random binhex change from the bloom shading file.

If you check my thread, there you have the actual E3 stuff and all the real improvements, i just cant believe you can say something like that. Just find this mod improvements list ( the not buggy ones ) and my improvements list. Compare... and there you have the answer.

Keep it up TheWorse.

Bye!

19. Downtown

Downtown Guest

GPU:
    GTX770 4GB 1300/7800
    It is some shadows, i think it is because P/V ratio.

20. Plissken

Plissken Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 Strix
    That's right, you put those dat/fat files to the win64 folder and let the game create an xml file in your profile folder if you're using E3 bloom only. If you're using E3 bloom + TheWorse's xml file, you have to put his xml manually to your profile folder as well. To get back to the default settings just delete the xml file and dat/fat files, and that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.