Review: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 STRIX 6 GB Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Great card, but only worth it if you buy at least 2 of them, the GPU is simply too weak on its own with the 6 GB vram to be future proof.

3. DarkOneZ13

DarkOneZ13 Guest

GPU:
    MSI/GTX 980/4096MB
    So basically the exact same performance as the GTX 780 just a higher price tag.
    As usual anything over 3GB is useless unless your running triple ultra, super resolution monitors. This is getting boring. The way things are going Maxwell won't be here for another 5 years. :bang:

4. Segamon

Segamon Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    "the product comes with nice cooling ass"

that was funny :D

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I would say 3 cards for 1440p or higher at 6gb.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Thermal images - Measure point1 (VRM) 103C :eyes:

Not so effective as it looks., my zotac is cooler, was kinda surprised how cool, idle 30C load 55-70C, usually 62C..

7. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    nVidia won't release a 780ti 6gb because it would kill Titan sales. Yet the Titan is already recognized as an overpriced product and sales are hurting. What will nVidia do...sit on their hands and look wistful?

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Throw in a Haswell-E 6 -core/mobo combo and you are set for ~3 years. :D

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's the fan profile.

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yes im well aware of skyrim and its many mods starting with STEP as a base and build everything around that using the superior mo over nmm. 3 cards are needed as you will run out of core power before you max out the vram at 6gb. You may even need 4 cards, next time around ill be going tri sli or quads fully watercooled as usual.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Ohh man what I would do to find a buyer for my two 3GB ASUS GTX 780's and grab two of these for 2K.

This card is rather awesome. the 6GB is not slowing it down like people imagined.

Not true my friend. This card is more than enough for 60hz 2K resolution.

Two of these would seal the deal sure, but one would be enough OC'd to 1150+.

I know this as I've done it with my 3GB ASUS GTX 780 but ran short on Vram once in a while. I went SLI for online FPS play to stay at a constant 60FPS in games like BF4.

Alas most people do not care about that, and these newer games going well over 3GB Vram, this card is an excellent choice.

Again not true, I've had my Vram cap out at 2K (1440p) on the following games.

DayZ
    CoD Ghosts
    BF4
    Wolfenstein: TNO
    Thief
    Crysis 3

The newer drivers from Nvidia lately have toned it down a bit, but I still can see aliasing even at 2K so I run 4xMSAA most of the time which in turn cranks the Vram back up to max 3034MB.

For a totally smooth gameplay experience for those on 2K, I'd suggest these over the 3GB model any day. All this card needs is a nice OC which is easy to do. If newer games are not a worry, then 3GB is enough.

I do agree however, that these were put out too little....too late. Bummer on that part.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  12. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Almost tempted to sell my cards and get two of these.. Just because I'm bored and need something new to play with :)

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    3 or 4 would be my guess.

14. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    I don't agree, I don't agree, I don't agree with what Asus is doing with the fan inactivity.

70 degrees is just not hot, it's blazing hot. When the GPU is running so hot, the solder joints and all surrounding components are just as hot.

You want to keep all the components as cool as possible to prevent thermal decay of components and thermal joints. You don't want hot spots anywhere on the card. Wouldn't you want air moving over your voltage regulators all the time so they can be cooled and last longer.

Am I missing something?

Remember the thermal imaging of cards and motherboards of years gone by. It meant something back then and it still means the same thing today.

Think Thermal Decay. Heck, if all components in a computer could run at that temperature, servers farms would be a lot cheaper to run. There has to be hot spots on the card when those fans aren't turning.

I don't agree, I don't agree, I don't agree!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014