Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    That was awesome. But really, I mean... REALLY!?

2. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, to be honest I liked how they did it, however in the books the fight was much more epic. First of all, IRRC the Mountain had a big ass shield (no sense for him to single wield a 2 handed sword otherwise but meh) and in his bloodlust he was striking innocent bystanders with Oberyn also having a "sun" shield which blinded the Mountain. Imagine how it would have looked in the show if he swung at the crowd and dismembered some in his rage. :D

Finally, he would have Oberyn's head beaten to a pulp and cave it in, BUT in this regard I like how they did it in the show more, even though it might be over the top for many. Considering the actor, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson, even though only 25 years old(!!!) is a pretty good strongman at like 7 ft and 430 pounds, and the poor actor playing Oberyn is literally less than half his size. One could argue that he could crush a skull like that considering his strength and huge hands, in a fantasy show he surely could. :p

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Tbh while Bjornsson fits the size requirements I don't think he carried the same rage/character as the guy who played The Mountain in the first season. He looked like a Jolly Giant in the previous episode and he kind of just stood there and swung haphazardly in this one. And yeah you're right, I think he should have had a shield. The first guy was much more angry and swung with like rage (when he cut the horse in half and while battling his brother). The second guy was like, yeah no comment.

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Second guy that played the Mountain was just lol, I agree that Conan Stevens was best in that regard (if only his schedule didn't interfere with the Hobbit, he would still be in GoT), he had the age and the facial expression of a giant psycho. Bjornsson as said is very young but much heavier than Stevens, who is more of a bodybuilder, hence the round face hehe. He did a good job all things considered, if anything, the directing and writers are to blame for the watered down fight.

5. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    In the book, Oberon's lance was coated in poison.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I think it still is, we will probably find out later. It can pe transparent poison for all we know, and you could see the dude polishing the lances before the fight so who knows, we'll see soon enough.

7. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Palit 7300GT DDR 550/1500 ^_^
    I was drunk. Then I watched this. I don't want to eat for days. Seriously. I feel like I'm gonna throw up any food I eat.

8. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I hate to be that guy, but Nathalie Emmanuel just... whoa.

9. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    In the comics, Mountain punched him in the face, Tyrion throws up.

10. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Has anyone find this to be the most brutal scene ever?

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    This show has tanked since season one. It's a medieval soap opera with a scene or two of brutality thrown in. The ending last night was so ****ing stupid.

People are blinded by the hype with this one IMO.

Read the books. This show disgraces them.

12. Jhetski

Jhetski The Lonely Guru

GPU:
    Timmy, are you aware that the author is a part of the direction of the series? They want to stay true to the books but they have to make it TV worthy. Enjoy your books, bro.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Trust me, Oberyn got the best of the encounter. The Mountain is going to be in for a world of pain.

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh dear... that last scene.... What stuff exists in the world? ... :/

Someone said on imdb message boards
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Me Mountain, ME SMASH!!!

or, exact quote from the books:

"Elia of Dorne. I killed her screaming whelp. Then I raped her. Then I smashed her ****ing head in. Like this."

The Mountain is pretty ****ed up in the books though, like some of the worst and violent villains. it is described how he splatters the babies of Elia against a wall, rapes here, then caves her head in as well. :O

Not to mention all the other atrocities he commits on a daily basis, if anything, he is not portraied evil enough in the show lol. :eyebrows:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

16. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    I wouldn't doubt that, Oberyn also looks like a master of poison.

I also like his Lawful Evil nature.. :)

HULK? haha. but yeah, he is a brute. and I agree with others, this 2nd Mountain looks a bit too passive to play the Chaotic Evil character of 'The Mountain".

and anyone else who found the scene of Arya and Clegane hilarious?? haha. Clegane's face of disappointment + Arya's mockery cracked me up! hahaha

17. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Lol yeah that was funny at least. :D I laughed too, arya was ****ing funny lol. :D The Hound was just like.... meh.. :D

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    That moment was so awkward for everybody except Arya, she rofl'ed. :giggle2:

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    haha lol yeah.. + hound was totally facepalm lol. XD:D Love hound+arya though, they're awesome.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly I think show Oberon was much more likeable than Book Oberon. I haven't read the books in a while but I don't remember actually caring much when he died. Pedro did an excellent job making me care/appreciate/root for the character.