Glenn Beck thinks Watch Dogs teaches you how to hack the real world

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CPC_RedDawn, May 31, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So what you're saying is everyone should be completely isolated from anything that can influence them ?

Pig headed attitude - same as the fool in the video

2. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    That picture is funny because the last few times I heard anything about Glenn Beck he was seriously bashing 9/11 "truthers", Illuminati believers and alien believers. The picture is actually the exact opposite of the truth.

3. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    No. That isn't what I said. Where did I say that? He didn't say that either, did he? No-one said that except you. I said nothing even remotely similar to that and neither did Beck in the video. It's a conversation, it's possible for rational, logical people to have them without jumping to the most extreme solution.

Talk about pig headed. Talk about an inability to distinguish. You take it to a whole new level. Maybe you should stay away from video games before you hurt yourself.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Someone is working their way up to my iggy list

Ending retarded conversation

5. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    It wasn't retarded until you showed up. First you put words in Beck's mouth, then argued it was a technicality now you're putting words in my mouth. None of it's true and the posts are still sitting here to review and see that I never said anything about isolating anyone from anything, and the video is still up where Beck never said anything about isolating anyone form anything either.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  7. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    Precisely. I don't necessarily agree with the guy, but it's definitely a good conversation. As long as you can find reasonable people to have the conversation with. Apparently they're in very short supply on this site.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    This must be becks main man, defending that tard and all.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Still it feels like your opinion is based on a matter of how a sentence is grammatically structured. Glenn's whole point of the video is still that he blames kids for doing nasty stuff based on influence from video games. Hacking done by groups has been on the table for some time now before W_D was ever announced. Kids used to deliver their message to the world by graffiti and today they hack sites. Who knows what will happen tomorrow? I still cannot think that all kids will go around shooting people because of a video game and that it should worry us let alone hacking people's phones.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    how?

11. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    He didn't say that all kids will go around shooting people because of video-games. Hyperbole much? Why can't anyone actual respond to what he actually said without changing it to be something extreme and absurd?

I play video games. I watch movies. I read books. I don't think a sane person will use video games as an excuse to go on a killing spree, but insane people have actually done it. Beyond the insane and extreme it's totally reasonable to see the cultural impact video games have on our society. Just like music and movies. Those things shape our culture. The 70's culture was a mirror image of it's music. That doesn't mean everyone was a drug addict, but it certainly influenced a lot of people in that era. The 90's it's TV shows. It's not unreasonable to say that video games are influencing the culture of today.

Back to the beginning and the terribly written OP, the main basis for the attacks on Beck's person stem from the idea that the video game is teaching kids how to hack. This isn't true and he never said that.

Because it presents it to you in a real-world environment. A world where everything is connected. Where there's one giant network that controls everything and how that connectivity can be exploited and used maliciously. Take for example, a radio interview that actually occurs in-game where the Government's representative tries to sell the listeners on their Government healthcare program on the premise that it's completely secure. We know that isn't true. So a persons personal and medical information would be stored on poorly protected servers where a hacker could theoretically compromise that information. It's definitely a parable of real-life concerns of privacy and security. I mean, the premise of the entire game is a network that's poorly protected controlled by the Government who abuses it and people are hurt as a result. It isn't an entirely far fetched idea and it isn't the first time a work of art has expressed concerns of the idea. 1984 is another example.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  12. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    If a GAME is a good wake up call for people around us... then society has bigger problems than I thought.

13. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    Here's the second intelligent response to the video I've found. 2/1,000

I guess it does. Before video games movies were used to wake up society to social issues. Ever see a movie about gay rights? How about the movies about the WTO "Battle in Seattle". Before that we had movies about other civil rights issues. Movies proved to be an effective form of widespread communication, why not video games?

Before that social issues were tackled in books by creative persons. Ever heard of 1984?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  14. ibitato

ibitato Guest

thank god i did not buy this game,
    if ppl wating their time here arguing instead of gaming ...........

wait.... i just dit the sam......

lol

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Society has huge problems....and there's no interest in fixing them because people are too busy blaming video games.

16. ibitato

ibitato Guest

or playing them ;)

thank god, they 're cheaper than my AD these days .....

17. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    I don't blame video games. I'm not sure Beck does either. Like music, video games are a reflection of what already exists in society. Games are a representation of problems that already exist. They're not the cause, they're a symptom. It's an interesting philosophy.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I have no real interest in what Beck thinks. From what I've heard in his shows, he's nothing but an egotistical, self-righteous d-bag that thinks he knows everything when in fact he's near clueless on most topics.

19. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    Back to the name-calling as a form of communication.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    It's a game ffs, how is that "real world"??? God you're confused.