Microsoft warns against registry hack that allows Windows XP updates

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 28, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    They should have pulled the plug on XP all together.

People been given time enough to upgrade.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's like the dx10 hack on XP: it work but M$ cannot support it... almost normal position.

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    My experience/impressions with this Windows XP update registry tweaks here

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    for the bank it wasn't possible as they have not released the tool fast enough (this is why most of the cash machine are still on XP). this is why M$ extand xp support on those.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    "Embedded POSReady 2009"

meaning it's readily a Piece Of Sh*t... har har!

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Of course they warn against it, how else will they get millions from companies for continued support

8. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I tried it a few days ago, it works: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/how-to-update-windows-xp-after-end-of-support.364219/

• Security Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB2926765)
      Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB2953522)
      Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 (KB2932079)

I wouldn't rely on it to keep an XP box secure though. You're better off just locking your system down and using a browser that isn't IE.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    So.... MS thinks you'll remain MORE secure on an officially unsupported OS than a hacked version designed to keep up in an environment where hacking, malware, and thievery is more likely to happen (compared to at home)? I know they're desperate to get people to leave XP alone but this is ridiculous.

10. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    They are in effect publicising the availability of continued updates, why would they do that?

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If I were using XP I would just use a different Web browser than IE8.

Also another reason why MS says to avoid this update hack is because the updates might not be 100% compatible and could cause a problem. Because of different code in the kernel. Xp Vs Windows Embedded POS Ready 2009 vs Server 2003.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No, they are simply covering their ass. If some stupid network manager decides they can get continued support this way and a year from now loses multiple machines due to some issue they can't come back and attack Microsoft.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    like i been saying all these years alot places still use XP, and those people that have no choice to update the OS are gona use a OS that works similar which will probably be win7 and alot business are not willing to update there os every 2 years or so cause cost to much to do it let alone retrain people costing them more.

MS doesnt exactly help with the way the handle things. or try to force feed people changes.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  14. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    POSReady 2009 is a heavily locked down OS designed specifically for Point of Sale Ready machines. Seems just like on most other forums, those who know the least about this yell the loudest.

XP updates are dead. POS Ready 2009 and XP are 2 different OS's. Of course, it is your computer, do whatever you want, just do not come crying to Microsoft when you broke your machine with a non compatible update.

15. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    That's what I have named it as well. Since I have worked with it on slow Celeron hardware. Last year was hell.