unsecapp.exe autorunning

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by tsunami231, May 28, 2014.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So only thing out of ordianry i did to day was go here to reset my ebay pass

https://fyp.ebay.com/EnterUserInfo/?_trkparms=clkid=7205003478319277373

I put my username and click call me with pin. Now this is only thing idid to day that i could think of why this unsecapp.exe (C:\Windows\System32\wbem) is running and it now running every time i boot up.

Ran Avast ran Malwarebytes ran Spybot s&d run Malwarebytes anti rootkit tool too. they all say it clean and process explores says it clean too

cant fiqure out why it keep running taskmanger says is started by "user" and not system.

i remeber long ago have this run at start up too but know how i managed to stop from running.

I would like to stop it from running as i dont need it last time iseen this running was way back when i was using xp, I have never seen run in my current build

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Can you kill the process? If yes, you can rename exe.
    Also you can try to use Autoruns.exe from SysInternals.
    Also you can prevent exe from starting with registry tweak like here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4821112&postcount=22
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4824010&postcount=27

Edit: Info on exe
    http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com/tasklist.php?File=Unsecapp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa392132(v=vs.85).aspx

Edit2: After reading MSDN I assume that you have some app or script which uses WMI and that unsecapp.exe is loaded by WMI in respond. Preventing its start can lead to crushes and errors, but that way you can find the original culprit.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Yah i read all that and it is the MS signed unsecapp.exe thing is it was never running on boot and i didnt isntall anything or do anything unsual other then ebay thing i mentioned.

I been terminate it when i boot up and no problems are listed in event viewer.

I took ownership for the file way from trustedinstaller and renamed the file to unsecapp1 and it stop auto startup.

I dont know why it started to begin with seeing it was never running to nor has it ever been apart of my startup programs ran. I look at taskmanger every day to make sure things that shouldnt be there arnt there and what should be there is.

And it started wanting to run today. IF it cause me errors or problems arise i will i name it.

4. Wizzlbang

Wizzlbang Guest

GPU:
    It's definitely an AMD
    This is really weird, I made a quick account just to post here about it, the EXACT SAME THING started happening to me today on my laptop. No idea whats causing it, ran scans, all clean just like yours.

We're both using Avast, though, maybe that has something to do with it? A recent update or something?
    Figures the Avast forums are down as this happens...

UPDATE: I just asked one of my friends who also uses avast, he said it's popped up for him too.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes i noticed the topic about this on avast forums but there forums are kind dead atm so i dont know if avast causing it and avast didnt have program update to just the normal definitions update.

6. Wizzlbang

Wizzlbang Guest

GPU:
    It's definitely an AMD
    Just spotted something else, has LocalServicePeerNet popped up on your svchost list? I keep closing it, but it opens up again after awhile.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that part of Peer Name Resolution Protocol service which isnt running on my pc

8. Wizzlbang

Wizzlbang Guest

GPU:
    It's definitely an AMD
    Wasn't an exe, it was the command line of an extra svchost.exe that was running. Looks like it went away on its own, though.

9. AnnoyingProblem

AnnoyingProblem Guest

GPU:
    8gb
    I started having this "problem" too yesterday. I'm using avast. I went to sleep for couple of hours and when I came back this unsecapp.exe was running. I haven't noticed any problems or errors so far, but I have never ever seen this program running so I am kind of worried. Like some of you guys I ran avast scan and nothing came up. Also avast forums are down so I have no idea what's going. It runs automatically on start-up.

If someone finds anything what is causing this, which I think is avast, please share any information you can. I know it's probably not harmful but it still bothers me alot

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if it avast causing it when it never did before, easiest way to find out is uninstall avast and reboot and see if it pops up still.

I renamed unsecapp so it dont start up with my pc for time being. so i not gona uninstall avast atm o find out if it does.

11. confusedproblem

confusedproblem Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD
    Weird startup process

Hello,

This is my first time posting on these forums so I'm not quite sure where I should make this but I'm having a problem on both my Windows 8 and this Windows 7 pc so I'll just post here first and see if I get a response I guess, this is may be a very long post so I'll put a tl;dr at the end just if you want the cliff notes of my problem.

Anway, about a week ago(6 days I think) I noticed I've had this program starting up called 'unsecapp.exe' on my windows 7 pc so I quickly did scans (I've done an avast startup scan, avast/malewarebytes full system scan and used adwcleaner)

I then verified it's a legit file by checking if the location was correct and it was C:\Windows\System32\wbem\unsecapp.exe and it was a signed microsoft file that's 46kb (I also used virustotal.com just to clarify it was legit and good just incase I made a mistake about it).

I then decided to go over to my windows 8 pc and start it up and checked and what do you know there's also an 'unsecapp.exe' file starting up here to. So that got me thinking about what I'd done the few days before up to that point of finding out and honestly nothing since my windows 8 pc I only play steam games and on the windows 7 pc I only watch streams.

Now I've spent the last few hours trying to figure out myself what is causing this program to startup on both pc's and I remembered someone telling me to disable startup programs one by one until you find the culprit and I did just that on my windows 7 pc, disabled a program and restarted my computer 1 thing at a time and that didn't lead me to anything... (One program I couldn't disable was avast but that's because it auto enabled itself and I didn't want to turn it off anyway).

So after that I decided to disable every none essential microsoft service in msconfig and again, nothing... It still started up.

I was about to give up when I remembered Safe Boot and when I did that, what do you know? 'unsecapp.exe' didn't startup! I was so excited, restarted my computer back to normal and I was greeted by 'unsecapp.exe' on normal startup. So I tried Safe Boot with networking because I thought it might have to do with my home network maybe(I was grasping at straws to blame something at this point...) and then when it started up in Safe Boot +Networking the 'unsecapp.exe' process didn't start.

So again I restarted my computer back to normal and it was there staring me in the face at startup and I let out a big sigh and sat there thinking, what is doing this? It then dawned on me that avast! doesn't startup on Safe Boot, so as a last ditch effort I downloaded the avast! installer and then uninstalled my avast! antivirus(I know, at this point it was just full "yolo").

After it got uninstalled I looked, 'unsecapp.exe' was still there but I hadn't restarted the pc yet. So I did that, what do you know? 'unsecapp.exe' didn't startup when avast! was uninstalled.

Just to make sure I did a second restart, then a third and it wasn't starting up(I honestly couldn't believe it.) So I reinstalled my avast! and looked, 'unsecapp.exe' wasn't in the processes list, but I hadn't restarted the computer yet. On restart though after avast! was reinstalled, it was there yet again....

Sooo I went over to my other windows 8 pc and checked the same thing(uninstalled avast!) and it also didn't start with 'unsecapp.exe' when I did that. But when it was installed it did again.

I guess my question is, why is avast! starting 'unsecapp.exe' on each boot this past week and not before? At least not in the past year because on my windows 8 pc I basically hourly have the task manager open whenever I do anything since I'm super paranoid and that's how I found out about this 'unsecapp.exe' thing.

Also, why isn't this happening on my laptop that I have with avast!, a friend I asked also says he doesn't have this issue and I would really love to post this on the avast! forums but they're down as of me writing this because of some attack or something.

tl;dr
    avast! keeps startin up 'unsecapp.exe' on two completely different pc's but not on my laptop?

Thank you for taking the time to read through this 'novel lite' and hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem, should I be worried? Because I certainly am...

***I should note, 'unsecapp.exe' doesn't actually do anything from what I can tell, I've left both pc's on that have it on startup for about 15 hours and checked event logs hourly and nothing's showed up out of the ordinary. It just kinda starts and that's it, this kinda thing just really bugs me and makes me paranoid about everything on my pc.***

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    This application should not worry you. You can even kill it in task manager.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Gona have to wait till avast forums are up again as of now there down due to sercuity breach. I noticed this too all my computer setup all use avast and most have this unsecapp starting, (not all as i have another pc that does not have that starting, but then again I dont think that pc get shutdown and started every day look most others that do have the issue.

Like i said I rename unsecapp to unsecapp1 to stop it from starting, ( had to take ownership away from trustedinstaller though)

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Unsecapp.exe starts happening, when ever you install the lastest avast program update, The computer I had that "wasnt" show this unsecapp.exe running was running and 6+ months old version of avast. Soon as update the PC avast and reboot, unsecapp.exe was there. So it is avast causing this when it never did before.

All the other pc that had unsecapp.exe running where running the most recent version.

Gona have to wait to avast forums are back as there still down as far as i know.