Windows 8.1 no DWM (aka Aero, aka desktop composition)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Cyberdyne, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Oh, that's the charmbar/searchbar/wifi-internet bar thing. Yeah that is unavoidable. That's why I try to recommend replacement programs so you dont use that. Just avoid clicking on the corners of the screen, or do this in classic shell...
    [​IMG]
    That should help avoiding that.

EDIT: also, if the black bar appears and you don't want to restart to fix it, restart explorer. (open task manager, right click Windows Explorer, press Restart).

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Cyberdyne, there should be such way:
    - download your version of dwm.exe (am I correct to assume it just does nothing and exits immediately?) into some folder "C:\folder"
    - open regedit and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options", create subkey "dwm.exe", in that subkey create value (REGSZ) "Debugger" = "C:\folder\dwm.exe"
    - navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options", and if subkey "dwm.exe" is not there then create it, in that subkey create value (REGSZ) "Debugger" = "C:\folder\dwm.exe"

If original "dwm.exe" started through CreateProcess function the tweak should work.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That sounds like an interesting way to do it. Might allow for more automation. I've been trying to just let dwm stay on, but the next time I want it off I'll give that a try and see if I can use AutoIt to automate the process.

4. wazer

wazer Member

GPU:
    1080TI on water

Your file is flagged by AV's now :S.

Could you do the thing he said in autoit and release to us so we can test it :)?

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Do you want PowerShell script to do it? It can ask for a fake dwm.exe path and add key to registry.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's strange that the exe is showing as a virus. It's an old exe made by a tech site I found a long time ago, can't remember the name. Made with the intention of replacing exes in the Windows installation for heavy tweaking. It's safe.

I guess I could also make a new one, I have no real coding experience so again I would have to use AutoIt, which would be easy enough but the file size would be like over 800kb, just for an exe that does nothing. Kinda pointless.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Shall I do dwm.exe which does nothing and quits instantly? It will take 10 minutes.

Edit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/lce6aiqks37bd9z/dwm.zip
    This is console x86 application which prints "dwm.exe dummy" and exits.
    Let me know whether it is appropriate for the purpose of replacing the original dwm.exe.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I personally would prefer it does absolutely nothing. Just an instant close. But don't worry about it, I'm not about to turn off dwm atm.

I'm also not sure if Windows tries to relaunch the exe after it closes (or if it waits a bit and tries again). If that's the case, that console window would be an annoyance.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The vsync that windows 8.1 forces in windowed mode is weird. It does not cap the framerate to refresh rate but eliminates tearing and causes stuttering.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It can be re-written as GUI app.

11. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
  12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's so annoying for my emulators. Maybe not a big deal for some people, but I have a large rom/iso collection.

What you you saying maur0? Are you replacing the 8.1 dwm.exe with the one from 7? What does that do for you?

13. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    I wonder if it works and if it would have any advantage in using it

and is possible usage classic theme present in win7 screen below

i search internet and found 2 forum with this subjet

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=113024

and

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1300248
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  14. fagoatse

fagoatse Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    What emus are affected btw? Im can imagine it must be a nightmare trying to emulate retro consoles on a CRT when windows doesn't even allow you to turn off compositions and forces its own vsync. Personally, I'm going go switch to linux for emus since KMS mode provides the lowest possible latency.

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    All the ones I use. Dolphin, PPSSPP, PCSX2 are the main ones. And for some reason even putting those three into fullscreen doesn't help.

16. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    200 mb? It doesn't bother me. Big deal..

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Thanks for checking in with that incredibly constructive post shadex!

18. wazer

wazer Member

GPU:
    1080TI on water
    Sure lets try something!

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/gn25i273na6v6rc/Set-dwm_dummy.zip

Before you execute scripts in PowerShell you have to set permissions for scripts execution:
    - run PowerShell
    - execute
    Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
    or
    Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned

Now you can extract script and either execute it from PowerShell or invoke context menu for a file and choose 'Execute with PowerShell'. Script should ask you the full path to the dummy 'dwm.exe' and then it should create proper registry key.

20. niciuffo

niciuffo Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 DirectCU II
    Has anyone found a solution to disable dwm in Windows 8.1 Update 1? The right side (where the metro thingy should appear if you go in the corner) doesn't work at all, and instead there's a black bar which can't be clicked (although the mouse can go over it). Other than that, dwm does disable correctly, but it isn't very usable like this.