Steam In-Home Streaming

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by brassoo, May 22, 2014.

1. Andrull

Andrull Member Guru

GPU:
    3x GTX 780 Classy @1,5GHz
    I'm still curious on the prices. Could be of good later to know the price of power in netherlands. :)

Though I'm mainly speaking in general. (since thats how the discussion started)

That doesnt change the fact that electricity is dirt cheap , relative to most other luxery things. And most people overjudge the actuall loss. Tough, since energy never goes away, you can in many cases use it in other applications. :)

In your exact case, I'm probably assuming to much, but then again, I would consider it a pretty special if you ask me. :)

Considering the fact the electric bill from any computer I have, have been my number one least economical problem. Student, working or just unemployed.

2. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Well unless your office is in another room of your house - you (and me) are out of luck :)

3. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    NO WIFI. It works very poorly on wireless networks. With a wired connection I was able to get it working very smoothly streaming to my Mac Pro. The coolest feature is that on the Mac version of steam, it shows my entire pc games library as being installed. Instead of clicking on "play" it says "stream" and it boots right up.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Same goes for PC, streaming via WIFI lags, so I find it a rather useless feature with the current WIFI limits.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    just played a few games on my old dell d630 awesome loving it

7. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    To me it's useless if it doesn't work through WiFi. Who wants to run a 100 foot cable to another room?

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Me for sure, I did, drilled a hole in the wall and ran a cable under the carpet.

Beats unreliable slow wifi any day.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Anyone tried it on powerline router?

Just curious though, i've already got my PC in the living room.

Still not sure i see this being a big thing, if i had a gaming PC in the house i would much rather hook it straight up to the TV for proper image quality, 7.1 sound and responsive controls rather than a compressed stream, 2.0 and laggier controls.

It could be novel if there were apps on the PSN/Live or even SmartTV's.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    OMFG!!!

This is awesome!! It actually works!!!

Just tried it now and I am using a cheap network 300Mbps card in my second PC (see my specs << ) and it works.

Streamed content from my high end PC to my low end PC and it works wonderfully. Input lag is EXTREMELY minimal to be honest. I did only stream at 720p with a balanced IQ settings. But holy damn it was smooth running Portal 2 and using a controller was pretty great too.

Seems to be locked at 60fps stream though, I tried disabling vsync and the fps on my bedroom PC was still 60fps.

Would be nice if we could have the option to cap fps to say 30fps to save on bandwidth and maybe go higher with IQ setting.

Might try and use DXTORY on my host PC and cap a game at 30fps and see what happens...?

11. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

I expected so much more.

Anyhow, it's an option you don't have to use, no one is forcing you to hike up your leccy bill, so your point/argument is moot.

I think this is a brilliant move. It allows me to have my kid play his games, the games he would normally ask to play on my PC on his own meagre laptop, without the danger of him causing some fundamental mistake/error on my system.

Got to love that.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  12. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    I've been in on it since the beta began. I've found even over wired the performance isn't good enough to really play anything other than a turn based game.

My system to the left seems to have poor encode performance even with hardware encoding enabled. I'm streaming to an Acer C720 hacked to run ubuntu which seems to struggle with decode even with hardware accel enabled.

Changes to any of the settings even putting it on 480P low do not help at all.

So far I've yet to be impressed. I'm not sure I'd want to buy a whole new desktop just to play the games I can already play on max settings locally.

13. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I hope Steam can bump the speed passed 100Mbps because currently not many games can be played at a decent framerate.

14. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Somewhere where people live in big houses it might be useful. As someone that lives in apartment and moving to different ones - my PC and TV have never separated more than the length of the 10m HDMI cable.

15. Kodiak33

Kodiak33 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    This may be a stupid question, but if you're using a controller do you run it through the 2nd computer (the one connected to the TV)? I assume that you do.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Controller is connected to streaming device, it streams key strokes to source, then that source streams back to your streaming device and registers your movements.

17. Kodiak33

Kodiak33 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Awesome, thanks!

18. 91LudeSiT

91LudeSiT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4GD5T@1435/1750
    What I'd like to know is which brand of video cards are better at the hardware accelerated capture and encode. They make no mention of this and I'm due for an upgrade.

19. kbozz71

kbozz71 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Running over wifi to a client with a cheap usb wireless n 150 adapter, performance is ok. Some controller lag but workable. Using Actiontec powerline 500 adapters on the other hand is garbage. As others have said, hard wiring is by far the best choice.

20. 2_fast_4_you

2_fast_4_you Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Titan
    It is a good think if you like to play on the couch but dont want a conseol. HTPC with Steam OS and here we go.