eBay Customers Urged To Change Passwords

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, May 21, 2014.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Do that when I get home.

3. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Changed. Thanks

4. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Thanks for the heads up! Haven't changed pass on eBay more than a year...

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have to admit, I have the same password from 2005 when I started my ebay account.

6. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Changed, thanks :)

7. peshkohacka

peshkohacka Member Guru

GPU:
    ***8962;

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  8. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Done, cheers.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Hack eBay? lol :banana:

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Changed mine, cheers.

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    All your monies are belong to us! :p

12. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Same here lol

13. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Probably hacked and then stolen by the NSA.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So if they have our names, addresses, phone numbers and emails, and they use that for ID theft and cause us a sh1t load of problems, who is held responsible?

eBay ?

And where is eBays 2 step authentication already? 2014 not 1994

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Done. All necessary sensitive info changed. Thanks Hilb.

16. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That will not do any good after all did not read they had employee account access.
    And I was you all I also change your Paypal as well after all eBay dose own Paypal better be safe then sorry late on :stewpid::bang:.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  17. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    changed......

for me..."that news"..... is just like a doomsday....

Thank gurus.... just like every day was looking at new posts.... and saw the latter...

18. Drexir

Drexir Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    I changed all my passwords through lastpass after the heartbleed incident. And I change the passwords that contain sensitive information like a credit card number on a monthly basis. It's pretty easy and manageable with something like lastpass there are other password managers but I'm not sure how good they are. I don't even know my ebay password. I do if I decrypt my local storage vault.

Though I'm not really happy that pretty much all my other personal information was obtained. I don't know why they don't encrypt these things. Would you post your full name, address, DOB, phone number on a public forum? No that would be stupid. The consequences would be unpredictable. I highly doubt they care as much about your password. Even if they only collected that information on 10s of millions of users. You can debate all you want. That data is worth a lot. Probably will go to the highest bidder.

How do you think you get all that spam in your inbox? Unless you just publicly provide it. More likely than not some service you signed up for sold that data to advertisers. Read those terms of use that you never read and their privacy policy. You will be disturbed at what you legally agreed to in a single click of a button. Go make a dummy email address. Don't ever use it for anything or tell anyone about it. Watch as weeks go by, months, even a year and see just how empty it is. How there's not even a single email sent to you.

It used to be where bots would just start sending an email to every possible combination. For example a(at)email.com b(at)email.com. Obviously that is a huge waste of resources and time. Not to mention any decent email provider will prevent a bot doing that. Now you can easily just hack into a database and download all the information because most of it is in plain text.

These companies should be held accountable for not protecting the users data. Some simple encryption is all that is required. Ebay of all eCommerce I would have thought implemented even basic encryption on data. What's even scarier is that the same company runs Paypal. Makes me just want to close my paypal account. But that would pretty much cut me off from buying a lot. Not to mention I don't like entering my credit card information every time I want to purchase something. It just feels wrong.

Not to mention the obsession with security questions. Like "What city were you born in?" so my long gibberish cryptic password is undermined by a stupid security question. It basically allows a hacker to have complete control of your account that is so stupidly insecure. So when I'm required to enter a security question like that. I have to lie and say my city is "Sag1^PNh5Xv7" and usually I'm required to have 2 other security questions. So I have to make 4 cryptic passwords just for one site. Because the "security" questions undermine the actual security of my account.

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Cheers for the heads up. Done.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    That isn't a city I've ever heard of, but a cool way to say secure, I like what you did there. It's been mentioned, but you would have thought Ebay would have introduced better security by now other than a simple password. Given that it's an auction site which can be people livelihoods.