Windows 9 preview targeting a Q2 2015 release

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 19, 2014.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Start menu more usfull then people think.. and not alot people like metro ui bs they pushed that belongs on tablet/phone. if start menu was not "need" or "wanted" Ms would of took so much flak from it to begin with.

People that dont care or people that liked were way less vocal about this then the people that where pissed about start menu being gone.

It better business to please the majority over the minority, which MS learn the hard way when they first announce xbox one. they back tracked, they tried it with win 8 too and in the end they back tracked again.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    I wish I was excited about a new OS, but I'm not. I really, really cannot stand the thought of having a smartphone UI and equivalent apps on my desktop, and unless Microsoft gives me the option of not having any of that at all in Windows 9 I'm gonna stay with 7 forever. I hate not moving forward, but I just don't want my PC to look like my phone.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There's a defense squad for everything - Windows 8.0 and the reveal version of the Xbox One :D It's not that they weren't vocal enough. Internet noise is irrelevant. The market flatout rejected MS' products - both of them. After so much rubbish spin from them we have come to what was shown at Build 2014 and now the Kinectless Xbone.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Windows 8.0 is pretty good... I just use Classic Shell so it has a functional Start Menu and disable UAC so the useless "Phone Apps" can't run.

It became the perfect OS this way.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

MS said they would also NEVER release xbox one with out Kinect, They backtracked agian. MS been doing alot backtracking as of late.

one should not have to resort to 3rd party sources fix something that shouldn't f been removed to begin with

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

From a marketing point of view, it will be called Windows 9. If people saw Windows 8.2 they'll thing 'Window 8', not something new. If Windows 9 turns out to be a winner, then Microsoft will probably stick with Windows 9.x as long as it is practical to do so.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's Microsoft's job. Not the end user's.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm not really looking forward to any more UI changes. I bought Windows8 simply because it did not have the start menu. Now MS is working on forcing the start menu on those of us that don't want it.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    What bout the people MS force the metro ui on that didnt want it?

I didnt buy it simple cause I dont like the idea of metro ui, and even when i tried it for few weeks i found the lack of a startmenu make doing simple things difficult. ( like see list of all my programs installed get at control panel and countless other things). Im not resorting to 3rd to fix something that didnt need removing I just want upgrade simple as that.

Did i mention i dont like metro ui? and i dont care if stuff it listed there. I dont want phone/tablet ui infesting my desktop.

Some people like it great other do not. Solution was simple from the get go let the user pick which they want, but was MS stubborn. This all would been avoid if MS gave the option to use either or. just like they STILL give the option to use the classic windows shell or the new shell.

MS did this force of metro ui on people and for most part it backfired. and they know it did hence the backtracking.

Change just for the sake of change when it not needed tends to not go over well in any market.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Hmm, maybe I'll need to fire up my dreamspark account from u of m and try it out when it drops.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Nobody forced those that didn't like Metro to "upgrade" to Windows8 unless you were buying a new computer that had Windows8 preloaded. Most of us build our own computers and as a result had an option to stick with Windows7.

Yes, MS could have given users an option as to which UI they wanted. However, MS has never been big on user choice. They seem to feel threatened by users having any choice.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    seem to feel threatened? that is putting it lightly. Like said it all could of been avoid if MS just gave the choice just like they give the choice to use the new shell or the classic shell, And this goes back to xp and before.

But cause they didnt they took alot flak and alot negative publicity which really isnt anything new. I dont think MS ever really cared if it good or bad publicity they just want people know about there name lol

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I upgraded to Windows 8 from Windows Vista because Battlefield 4 runs better on Windows 8 compared to Vista and 7... and then there is DirectX.. That is the only reason I have to be on Windows 8, Battlefield 4, Newest version of DirectX... that is it..

I was quite happy with Vista, it did everything I needed from an OS, I purchased it day one on it's retail release, I have the cool groovy curved plastic case version.. it is much cooler than the boring Windows 8 soft cardboard box hehe xD

In reality, being a gamer and wanting to play new games you could view it as Microsoft forcing people to upgrade just to get the newest DirectX.

I still remember Halo 2 okay.. I have very bitter feelings towards Microsoft... and then there is Games for Windows Live and not being able to play the games I PAYED FOR WITH MY MONEY... sorry.. now I'm getting angry again.. fu microsucks...

*walks away crying*

14. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Windows 8.1 is where its at. I was a fool to think Windows 7 was better before I switched. If you're still on windows 7, do yourself a favor and switch to 8.1. It really is better and for games its faster.

15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    A good idea to bring back the start menu. People are so used to having the start menu it needs to be there by default.

There are always options to remove/hide the start menu.

However, having the start menu disabled by default is not a good idea for those who want/need it.

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Windows has ALWAYS had a start menu. Only when Windows 8 was released did Microshaft remove the start menu.

Why could they not give the user the freedom of disabling/enabling the start menu?

You mentioned you bought Windows 8 simply because it had no start menu.

What about those who WANT the start menu, and that is MOST people...

So basically, for those who are USED to having a start menu are suddenly forced to use the metro interface and by default not having any start menu?

There is not even a way or option to enable it other than purchasing or downloading third party software to enable it.

Microsoft should not force or disable anything such as removing start menu or forcing users to use the metro interface.

Simply have options to enable/disable things you want or don't want. Simple.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Business users and IT managers needed it.

The former for familiarity and the latter because of the former.

No IT manager in the world wants a support queue increased to show people how to click a button.

18. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    +1

Moving our 10,000 users to Win 7 from XP was painful enough...

19. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    I used it for 2 months and never want to see it again. Vista was a resource hog and had poor drivers, I hated how it messed with the harddrive for a very long time after boot.
    The UI in Win8 is not desktop optimized, far from it. And some things didn't work with Win8. I'd rather use XP.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows has only had a start menu since 95. Windows1.0 - 3.11 lacked a start menu.