FX-83** Owners club - Discussion & overclocking

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by hallryu, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Vcore needed can depend on how high the LLC is set also...

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    LOL... It's always Vcore seems like. Anytime I had a crash before it was always that. But bumping NB did help too. Guess it depends where your running memory and other ect. also. Also giving nb a little more will give windows a snappier feel to it, in my experience anyway. mine is at 1.14.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  3. Brad1138

Brad1138 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD-787O /2GB
    Well, I was going to ask to join, but I need 10 post to post a pic or link. This is 2, 8 more to go...

Have a question I could answer? :)

FX-8350 @ 4620 (220x21) @ stock voltage with LLC on & Air cooling.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, I've got mine on Ultra High (2nd from top) any others and I BSOD fairly quickly

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have mine on High but CPU Power Response set to Ultra Fast. Using Fast made my PC freeze up when encoding with handbrake.

My profile is wrong though, should say 4.7 not 4.8. Vcore is 1.44v (1.065v offset).

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't think my board has a CPU power response setting, not that I can remember seeing anyway

You always seem to score for golden chips, I remember your 955

I have to use 1.5v for 4.8GHz and I have no idea what Im doing when it comes to using Offset on this board - it seems to be a completely different method vs other boards and for some obscure reason, if I spend longer than a minute or two in the BIOS, the entire machine freezes, so I don't have long enough to play about with settings, I have to know exactly what I want to change and just go straight in, change it and save/exit

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I was really lucky with my 955. If you want a hand with offsets feel free to PM me. :)

Seems kinda weird your system locks up in bios, that's a bugger. Have u checked for a BIOS update?

I think I used Ultra High LLC like you when clocked to 4.8ghz, can't really remember tbh.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thanks yea I`ll give you a shout next time I'm up for trying Offset, probably try it next time I reinstall Windows which won't be far away, so that my boot times are less than a decade when it crashes from testing

Last BIOS update for this board was 10/2012, it used to lock up when I went to the monitoring page of the BIOS with older BIOS versions, thought the latest had solved it, but still does it if I hang around in any part of the BIOS for too long - from what Ive read it could be pointing to a hardware problem but I have 0 issues with the machine outside of the BIOS

I have tried Offset before and worked out partially what I was supposed to be setting so that it ramped up to OC vCore under load, but it was unstable even using the same voltage as is stable when it's on manual, and after a few crashes and a lack of decent guides to learn from, I gave up and went back to manual - so now my CPU throttles down to 1.x GHz, but vCore is still up 1.488>1.5v

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey what about ROG forums they may have overclocking articles specifically for your board.....another thing you could try even though it's bloatware is AI Suite, just to test board settings in Windows if the BIOS locks up on you, then maybe uninstall it afterward.

AMD Overdrive is pretty good except doesn't have very many options to change.

Then again you may be perfectly stable and happy at 4.8ghz in which case just ignore me. lol

Cool site for latest bios/roms is here too http://www.win-raid.com/forum.php

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  10. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    what is your load voltages in prime95 or others at 4.6?
    what llc on mean? llc to extreme, high, normal?

I stay at 4.2ghz on my 8350, turbo off, APM OFF, HPC ON, 1.29 bios voltage, LLC HIGH.
    1.29 in bios with llc high translate into 1.36 load voltage. Any lower then 1.36 on load in Prime95 BLEND is not stable after few hours.
    On AMD FX, you need more voltages for Prime95 Blend then for others, Orthos, etc.
    If you have 4 hours stable on Blend Prime you rock.
    My cpu does 3dmark at 5.2ghz with 1.50v.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

The only guide I found for my board/BIOS for Offset that had any sort of info was on the ROG forums, but it didn't really explain enough for me to understand, when I set to Offset, it changes more than just the CPU voltage to Offset too, so I have things like NB and others to try and change - and it gives a + and a - option, which sounds fine, but when you change it, it doesn't make sense, like the + you'd think would be how much extra than stock you want to give the CPU, but it doesn't seem to work like that, hard to explain - I`ll jump into the BIOS and screenshot what I can to show you at some point

Im stable at 4.8 atm, but I would like Offset to work - I also have the option of "ROG Connect" or whatever it's called, where I can connect a laptop to the PC ROG USB port and mess with the BIOS in real time from the laptop but never tried it yet

Thanks for the link, I`ll check it out :)

12. Brad1138

Brad1138 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD-787O /2GB
    Load voltage in IBT AVX on High is about 1.39-1.42 (per HWMonitor). My MoBo only has Normal and Extreme for LLC, I think of it as off/on. My mem is 1.35 v which I am running at 1.4 v. CPU temps don't get much above 50c.

I am stable on IBT High, but have problems with Very High and Prime95. The computer is otherwise stable, in games and performance tests and daily usage. I can get it stable on very High, extreme and Prime 95, with voltage @ +0.175 and LLC off, but the temps push 60+c, so I decided to go with the lower temp setting.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is your BIOS version 1605?

14. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    Till my fx8350 i was on Intel. There i was on 20-7-7-7.
    On amd i can use ddr 1600-1700 at 15-5-5-5 or 15-5-5-6 Micron chips, memtest stable for 24 hours.

The reason i bought this cpu is that i played latest Metro game, with an ati6970, 1280 res, all high, and i saw 10-12 fps. I7 920 4ghz.
    With this FX im at 35fps on same settings. And in GTAIV i saw doubled frames/same gpu 6970.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Cool story.

16. Brad1138

Brad1138 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD-787O /2GB
    Agreed.

6 more to go... :)

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

18. Adi6293

Adi6293 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480
    Hi guys I just got my FX-8320 + Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 + beQuiet Shadow Rock 2 and I wanted to OC it, whats the best way to stress test it and whats the best software to monitor the temperatures?? :)

19. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Seeing the 8320 on Scan.co.uk for £110 makes me tempted to buy one for the fun of it. That is a lot of CPU for such little money!

20. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090

Hubble I pmed you about this could you hit back. Or if anyone else has a CHVFZ could post afew screens of there bios setup for ~4.9~5.0.. My board is getting to 40c c and my cpu is getting hotter then it did with my old CH4E.. So not quite sure what im missing to get the temps down.. Dont wanna burn up this mobo also lol. Maybe it just needs to sit at 4.8 during the summer.