People upgrading in 2014, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    I use IOS,Android, and Windows Phone 8.1. Each of them have their own strengths.

I like IOS and Windows Phone 8.1 for their simplicity and Smoothness. While I like Android because I love playing around with it, Like Flashing Roms and Installing Emulators.

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah got lumia too, amazing thing.

3. Thorjr5

Thorjr5 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD Radeon 5770 1GB
    Currently have a rooted samsung Galaxy S2, and im looking at getting the s4 when i have the money

4. Thorjr5

Thorjr5 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD Radeon 5770 1GB
    Im more of an android fan myself. Im waiting to try to put a custom kit kat ROM on my galaxy s2

5. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Just got the m8 so far I'm impressed,camera is fine for my usage

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm watching the market right now to see how things progress.

My first N5 died. It turned off the screen and that was all she wrote. Last week, my second N5 overheated in fairly cool conditions. When the phone works, it works well, but when it has an issue it makes me wish I had never bought it.

Waiting for news on WP9 and the rumored new UI. Also waiting to see if Ubuntu Touch actually makes it to market since Canonical claims to have an ODM but refuses to say who. (Ubuntu on Android is officially dead, which sucks).

I really like Android but sometimes change just for the sake of change, is actually a good thing (contrary to the old saying).

7. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    I renewed my contract and will have my S5 on Tuesday. I could have gotten iPhone 5s but I already have iPad Mini Retina.

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    well my lumia 928 is doing fine, my logical upgrade would be the icon but the battery life is crippled compared to the 1520 and none of them got xenon flash, i really like that xenon i dont get it why nokia keeps making high end PUREVIEW phones without xenon flashes :/

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I've had my Samdung Galaxy S5 for a while now. For every good feature it has and every nice looking thing in its interface it has an equal amount of missing features (hell I haven't even found a method to make specific setting shortcuts) and a ton of bloat on top of it all.

Not having it rooted really blows, every time I go to install a program I discover it needs root. I'm waiting for a simple one click installer of Cyanogenmo because laziness. Honestly customizing everything takes many hours and I don't want to go through all that until I'm sure there is a perfect installer ready.

Using programs is half the reason I want to root the phone, getting rid of programs is the other half. I think at this point I've disabled 16 programs which are absolutely worthless to me because they cannot be uninstalled. There's a ton more which can't even be disabled such as a worthless video player, worthless audio player, worthless stock browser (which is odd since it comes with Chrome), etc.

Then there are ones which I would have still installed that can't be uninstalled such as Chrome.

TL;DR - Touchwiz is bloated crap lacking basic features and service providers add more uninstallable bloat. Will root the phone as soon as Cyanogenmod installer is available for it.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  10. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    How is the camera on the htc m8 its that whats making me decide between that and the sony z2.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It takes pictures but it's no DSLR.

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    With regards to camera and video the Sony Z2 blows it away. Processor and ram also higher.

I believe the price of the Sony is even cheaper than the HTC so it's obvious which one you should go for. :)

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If I could have gotten any phone of my choice it would have been the Z2. The specs are top end, it's stylish as they come, and though the battery is not removable it's fine at 3200 mAH. The M8 uses a 2600 mAH battery and I don't think that's removable either. That really stinks, Samdung really pushed the limits of being cheap bastards on the battery of the S5 at 2800 mAH but at least that's removable. I'm really surprised HTC used a 2600 mAH one the M8.

The camera is 20 mega pixels, though not very clear and can be very grainy, but it's a cell phone camera so what do you expect. Apparently the photos on it are quit fine at the 8 mega pixel setting and that I would assume beats out the M8.

Personally I think between the two it's no contest and the Z2 wins hands down.

14. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Ordered a Nexus 5, hoping it'll be a nice upgrade from my HTC One X :)

15. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    The battery life in the M8 if great even at stock, I have been very impressed with it. I agree on the camera front, the Z2's 20MP will beat the M8 4MP in most/all situations (though the M8 really isn't as bad as some reviewers have made out). However the Z2 is just not pleasant to hold for long periods and the bezel makes it even taller than the M8 which I thought would take some doing. Personally I don't think there's much between to two handsets.. The M8 is a damn nice looking/feeling phone and I'm enjoying my choice (just my 2 cents)

Last edited: May 6, 2014

16. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    The m8 feels elegant to hold

17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Prepare to be blown away by a $350 phone.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Anyone know how to make the keys bigger on an S3?

Also where can I find Firefox/Adblock for Android without using GooglePlay?

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Hey Pill, to answer your two questions.

1 - Bigger Keys, specify. You mean dial pad keys or general keyboard keys? You will need to use an alternative keyboard in order to increase/decrease size.

My top 3 best recommended keyboards are:

Swiftkey
    Smart Keyboard
    Perfect Keyboard

If you are looking for a great looking and customizable dial pad in which you can also increase/decrease size, look for exDialer. Wicked dial pad.

2 - A great Ad Block App for your Galaxy S3 would be AdAway.

Official link and download for Ad Away - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2190753

20. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Well got my Lumia 1020 the other week totally loving it running windows 8.1 on it very smooth cant wait for the Nokia bits. Only wish there was better tutorials for the camera think I need a day trip to mess with it properly.