G-Sync Stutter w/ Single GPU + Physx Card 337.XX

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ReTiCuLe, Apr 23, 2014.

1. ReTiCuLe

ReTiCuLe Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan
    In BF4 I still get pauses (stutters) what-ever you'd like to call it during gameplay. It's not my internet as I've tried multiple servers. I tried the 337.61 and the 337.50 drivers. They both do it.

I do have a dedicated physx card 650 GTX. Could this possible be causing the stutter? I have my second monitor hooked up to it as I read G-sync does not work with more than one monitor ?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
    ReT

2. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    I ain't no master but you'd conduct more research first.

Both drivers are BETA. Can that be the reason?

Multiplayer is never a good place to determine system stability. PING and other factors can interfere. Use single player instead. You should also increase the test samples by playing more games to see if the problem persists.

Are you saying you use a GTX 650 to do PhysX for your Titan? This is the weirdest idea for a while. Is the Titan not good enough on its own? You also can't SLI Titan with 650.

This may not be relevant but G-sync requires GTX 650TI boost or higher, I believe?

Now let the masters speak.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    There shouldn't be any stutter. Try removing the physx card, it's not needed anyways. In NVCP, did you set the vsync option to G-Sync" in the 3D Settings section? And did you enable the G-Sync checkbox in the G-Sync section? You have tp do both of these things.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  4. ReTiCuLe

ReTiCuLe Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan
    Yes I did both of those. In addition, the Physx Card was used specifically for planetside 2. Yes the Titan was not enough for the game to answer your question. Also, as I stated. Ping etc.. have already crossed my mind. I played more than 10 sessions before even considering that. I did try the latest WHQL and that did not help either. 335.23.

Australis, why would I SLi a Titan with a Physx card ? I wouldn't.

Only reason the Physx card is still in is for my second screen since I read G-Sync doesn't support more than one monitor. Not sure if this is still the case. I did research quite a bit before posting here. On blurbusters, overclockers net and hardforums.

Thanks for the advice btw. I will give some single player games a go.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    As of right now G-Sync does not support multiple displays.

6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    You can use 2 montors while using G-Sync but only 1 will be operating in 3D G-Sync mode.

I can't see any reason why you should have the second monitor plugged into the 650GTX.

Plug the 2nd monitor into the Titan and set the 650GTX to be a dedicated PhysX card in the Nvidia control panel.

7. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    And as I know, Planetside 2 GPU PhysX has been disabled because of the OMFG, I think you can unplug it until they re-enable it?

8. AStaUK

AStaUK Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti
    Do you actually have a G-Sync enabled monitor?

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I do. So does southamptonfc.

10. AStaUK

AStaUK Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti
    Sorry, my post wasn't aimed at you it was meant for the OP as I can't see which monitor he has.

On a side note, is G-Sync as good as they say it is? Certainly from what I have read it sounds very good.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    my response from another thread when someone asked a similar question.

12. ReTiCuLe

ReTiCuLe Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan
    Well, I fiddled with it a bit and 130FPS in BF4 with 144hz runs pretty damn smooth, didn't notice a stutter. I hope that solves it. I tried 121 before and 136 for some reason it doesn't like when I cap the FPS at those numbers.

Thanks for the responses btw. I hope it doesn't come back lol.

13. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Runs fine here for me, no stutters, do you have any thing runing in the background.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What happens if try 144fps cap to be in sync with max 144Hz?

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090

16. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    G-sync automatically caps the maximum fps at 144 fps already. :banana:

Blurbusters found out that at max 144 fps, G-sync reverts back to typical V-sync behavior - some input lag is back.

17. Australis

Australis Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G
    Congrats.

But these hassles must be one of the dis-merits to be an early adopter.:pc1:

18. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    There shouldn't be any V-Sync like stutters, we gotta remember G-Sync doesn't remove stutters from the game/engine itself (skipped, runt frames, any sort of frame time irregularities will still be seen).

19. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    In BF4, there shouldn't be any stutter. I have a similar setup (also had a Titan) and no such stutters occur in BF4 if everything is working properly.

OP:

I happen to have BF4 capped at 130 too, I've never tried anything else :)

Did you unplug the second monitor from the 650? It should be plugged into the Titan.

20. Johannah

Johannah Guest

GPU:
    TUF 3090
    Retlicule: I got the _exact_ same problem as you do, but in World of Warcraft.

link to my thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=387923

I have tried to switch out the ddr3 mem, changed the onboard sound card for a sound blaster z, changed the onboard killer nic for a Intel nic but with the same results: The screen freezes foir 1-2 sec every now and them.

I got the asus g-sync monitor as well, i tried to play with g sync turned on and off but that didnt change anything either.

The only way to make this stop is to for me to use old drivers from the fall of 2013: "331.87-quadro-tesla-grid-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-beta" then there are no freezes what so ever. (maybe g sync doesnt work with such old drivers, or maybe nvidia just fail with all newer drivers).

Next step is to change the motherboard for a z97 based motherboard and a haswell refresh 4790k when it comes to the market. Or maybe just throw the g-sync monitor away and never look back.

Something is causeing these weird lags/freezes/pauses and its driving me nuts!