People upgrading in 2014, what phone are you getting?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Bentez, Apr 16, 2014.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I get my upgrade on the 27th of this month! :D (April)

I have currently a messed up Samsung Galaxy S3, the mini usb charge port on the bottom does not work... AT ALL. The screen in cracked (badly) on the top left of the screen which coveres about 25% of the entire screen it self. It still works fine and the screen it self is not damaged just the glass. Could not be bothered to buy a new phone as my upgrade comes soon and getting this one fixed is going to cost more than I would get for the phone if I sold it on.

For my new phone I was torn between the Note 3 and the HTC One M8.... however, I think I shall go with the Note 3.

My reasons, mainly because I love the Stylus, always miss them lol hate when screen get finger prints on them and they ALL do I have tried the M8 and Note 3.

Also, its size is nowhere near an issue for me in fact its a plus as I am 6ft7" tall and I have massive hands. My S3 for me is like holding a matchbox LOL

Then there is 3GB RAM for the Note 3, and 2GB RAM for the One M8. That extra 1GB RAM should come in handy.

Finally, and this is the deal clincher for me. With the Note 3 you can remove the battery and replace it with a bigger one if you wish, and you can also insert microSD cards for expanded memory which I seriously need for my music and films I watch on the train.

So Note 3 for me is the better option hands down.

EDIT

I stand corrected the M8 does have expandable memory. Still going with the Note 3.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Point of curiosity, if as you say, the S3 USB port was completely borked, how did you charge it?

Multiple batteries and a charge stand?

Also, it looks like water of some form has condensed underneath my "new" used note 2's screen, honestly think it's grounds for returning as "not as described" by ebay, but I cba and might just stick and deal with it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  4. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    M8 has a SD card slot though I agree on the removable battery - very handy. Happy with the size of the M8, 2GB of ram was never an issue with the N4 but we'll see when sense is loaded on as well. If I were going with Samsung I would definitely want 3GB, the 1 GB on the S3 ruined that device for me (owned one previously to my N4)

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Actually there is a difference, the older sims are 128k while new versions are 256k which is around 150-250 ph numbers.
    New phones still store data on simcards, which btw is exactly how I got contact/ph info from the bricked 2010 Galaxy S to my spare 2011 Samsung 3021b.

And as for storing personal details on Google aka Big Brother's servers, that will never happen, ever.

That's what I'm trying to avoid.....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Ah ok, if you're avoiding auto backups then a manual android db backup could help (when you get it sorted).

News to me though that SIM capacity doubled.

I had a mini SIM in my S2 for a few months, accidentally had it placed a little wrong for a week or so, just meant mobile data had gone, as long as it can read it's fine. Ebay had hole punching tools for it though, or you can borrow a friends phone, export to SD, then import.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Ok I jumped. Got the M8 today hope I don't regret leaving Apple.

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Still on S3 here. My upgrade is coming this July/August and i am not sure what to upgrade to. I actually like my S3 a lot. Though if i do get a new phone an SD card and removable battery for me is a must.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    U wot M8?

jk, welcome to the dark side. You'll never go back now.

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    The jury's still out there, waiting until my Note 2's KitKat update arrives (which it will, btw).
    If the KK update is good enough, then I'm sticking with my Note 2 throughout this year as well.

11. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Im thinking more about the htc m8, what are the reasons you would chose a htc m8 over a xperia z2.

12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    My contract isn't up until the end of the year but the HTC One M8 if they release a WP8.1 version which they are rumoured to be doing. If not then I'll see what Virgin Media (UK) has in stock on the Lumia range. I've been using HTC's for the last 4 years.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    htc is best this year

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    HTC One M8 looks groundbreaking. S5 is good this year, with a more accurate display than ever, and great battery life, although it seems that they have gone back to an older, blockier design? Not sure. Also, AMOLED burn-in. Can already see some on friend's S4, barely anything but it's a 10-month-old phone with low-medium usage so...

Would so grab an HTC One M8 but I might wait out for something from LG (G3). Hoping the 1440p 5.5" display rumor is true, along with a great cam (don't appreciate HTC 4MP UltraPixel), a microSD slot, removeable battery, more accurate display (the G2 screen, although fantastic, left me *blue* ;)).

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You mean so far this year?

Pretty sure by the end there will be better phones. Hell I'd argue that the G3 will be better. The Oppo Find 7/One + One phone will both be better. The M8 is no where near a perfect phone.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Camera on the M8 wasn't a deal breaker for me I have a nice coolpix camera that still takes better pictures than any cellphone I've ever used. The rest of the phone so far for me has been great. Getting off the iMessage servers however is a bit of a pain. The AMOLED screen on the S5 still looks to me over saturated (not as bad as the S3 mind you) and the plastic shell just feels cheap.

17. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    I have the S4 and it's a solid all-rounder, no complaints, although admitedly no real wow factor, kind of getting bored of Samsung phones now. Does the HTC One M8 still have no micro SD, crap non-removable battery, crap camera?

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It has a Micro-SD now but no removable battery. And yeah the camera is pretty terrible by this generation standards. It's literally a downgrade from the HTC M7, they removed OIS and instead added some ****ty second camera to get a Bokeh effect that looks worse than the recently added google software solution. I also personally think the phone is too long.

Anyway, the upside is it doesn't ship with 10 million garbage apps that you don't use like Samsung phones do. Oh and the interface doesn't look like it was designed by an infant - it's actually usable. The front facing speakers sound great and it records sounds at a significantly higher quality than the S5.

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Unfortunately not in the camera department...

20. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I'm wondering what to do also, I can upgrade now! Currently on a HTC One X, had it for 2 years now, prior to that I had the HTC Desire. I like HTC and want the M8 I just don't want to pay for it lol I only pay £22 a month and that means I gotta fork out £610 for it on o2!

Wondering if its worth going for the N5 can get that on Google Play for around £339 32GB version and then buy a 12 Month SIM only deal for £16 a month.

Anyone know of any other Android phones that I could look into?