AMD Catalyst 14.4 (14.100.0.0 March 27)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by CPC_RedDawn, Apr 11, 2014.

1. PrivateRyan

PrivateRyan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970
    after many tests .. i would say **** this 14.4 fkn unstable & crashes... for me 14.2 is the best...can't go back to 13.12 WHQL as it gives me a freeze black screen when logging to windows 7 x64..in 14.2 it's fixed well......& 14.4 have that freeze black screen like 13.12 :(

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    These drivers certainly are way better for me in BF4. Updated from 14.3 to these. Huge improvement! My Mantle PerfOverlay graph is pretty much near flat lines now most of the time, and my cpu is not spiking like it was. Surprised and happy. Would post a pic but I am new here (won't let me). Am averaging around 100fps Ultra settings cept 2xmsaa, Post medium and Terrain medium (buggy ****e) + 120% res scale on a 2560x1080.

3. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

No idea, but they bsod with these drivers lol.

4. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire

5. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    I've just tried that and no BSOD with Cat 14.4 and Skype for me on Windows 8.1 x64 Update 1 using the metro app.

6. BravoFxTrt

BravoFxTrt Member Guru

GPU:
    2X MSI R9 280X 6GB
    Well I tried these and got 3 back to back BSOD's, :( so I reinstalled 14.3.

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Weird, I switched back to previous and no bsods.

8. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Always funny to see people STILL expecting some noticeable performance jumps on HD6xxx/HD7xxx/R7-8-9 series cards. They've reached the 99.5% performance peak as far as drivers are concerned (without cheating and killing IP to get FPS). As for Mantle on BF4, that's mainly an EA/DiCE issue. In the end it's a band-aid patch to send some intensive work to mantle instead of DX11.

Expect nothing more than CF-fixes/files, a few bugfixes (that may at times increase performance in a certain game/certain engine) here and there with every new beta and WHQL coming out.

9. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    That's what I meant when I was talking about an X-Files scenario. I know every system is a whole world of variables, but this is a complete nonsense :3eyes:

10. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    After some testing i must say these 14.4's are by far the best drivers for crossfired R290's.

Mind you, these are still horribly unoptimized (cpu hungry) and crossfire profiles haven't been updated for ages; both causing FPS drops, stuttering and having to screw around with different crossfire profiles to make a game run somewhat acceptable... but its better then the older drivers anyway.

I have high hopes AMD finally is going to pull their head out of their ass now that they have released the 295X.

11. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Can you give any examples?
    -in which way/games are they better;
    -games who have fps drops;
    -games who needs diffrent CF profile and which ones?

I'm fairly happy with the performance now. But I take the start:

For some I use different CF-profiles, like:

-Fallout3/NV with an enb mod (I use Skyrim and offcourse no adaption and
    DOF); Skyrim with an heavy SSAO and Skylighting are screaming here with
    CF)
    -for The Memory of Eldurim and Lichdom Battlemage, early acces games ,I
    use Crysis2;
    -for Doom3 Sikkmod I use Prey (little CF scaling, but no HDR issues :))

Only game which behaves badly is COD Ghost, sill havn't found any thing to enhance CF perf. Also Crysis3 and Ac4 could use some extra performance, but this is in 4K.

Other then this all my games are running awesome (@4K)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  12. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    [​IMG]

Look above...

Does it help if I try to update? What about moving from "quiet" to "ubber" mode with that switch?

13. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    No CF profiles in ages?
    CPU hungry?
    That whole post... what are you talking about?

Some examples would be great.

14. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Planetside 2 would be one, CF support has been pathetic. Game has been out 18 months and the game still suffers negative scaling with their default profile.. the only way to get crossfire working semi-properly(air vehicles still suffer overlay negative scaling) is forcing AFR in radeonpro (forcing AFR in CCC profiles doesnt work).

Hopefully they may look at it again now that the exe will change to a x32 and x64 client.. probably not tho as its not on any hardware review benchmarks.

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    GPU2 running at 99% all the time bug is back.

16. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    I don't have that bug. Second card works in games and then is on 0% when I return to desktop.

CCC says it is back to 0% and confirmed with GPUZ

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It's when the game activates GPU2 but isn't using it, like when you load a game, using ULPS of course, GPU2 card will kick in at 99% and stay there while GPU1 runs at 0%. The issue doesn't occur in 14.3 (gone back to those).

18. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    i'm so glad i'm not using these drivers. There's a reason why we not suppose to have it. There is to many issues reported here to go through the effor of using these. I must say I'm pretty happy with 14.3 drivers. I have no crashes, black screen bugs or pretty much any bug you guys talk about here.

BF4 plays pretty good here with Mantle enabled. I tried games like Crysis 3, BF4, Bioshiosck etc etc and all seems to work fine. I'm sure by the time mantle is optimized for the old GCN 1.0 cards we should see a small boost.

19. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Sorry, but I don't understand what you said there. I thought it was when the second card stayed at 99% even though it should drop back to 0% after a game when GPU1 returns to normal usage on desktop. Maybe you can point it out on the graph below?

Like this is a quick game of BF4 using 14.4, ULPS is on.
    [​IMG]

I started game- you can see on GPU2 where it started loading. Both cards ran near 99% (using mantle, vsync off). The drops are where I quickly alt tabbed out of game to desktop for a quick look at the graph in progress. Ended game and GPU2 went to 0%, along with GPU1 back at normal desktop use. So where is this bug then? Or am I totally misunderstanding what the bug is?

EDIT: Just add a quick game of BF4 with vsync on then exit game to desktop. GPU2 runs at similar pace to GPU1 in game - around 50-60%. No 99% sticking there either.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  20. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    edit: nevermind