AMD Catalyst 14.4 (14.100.0.0 March 27)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by CPC_RedDawn, Apr 11, 2014.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I believe the main purpose of this driver is for 295X2 support, which is why it seems so similar to the previous beta and the component versions are practically the same. This has happened before (where even the file versions are the same) but the file size is different due to minor build differences due to the addition of the support in the unofficial release. In other words, it's practically a modified 14.3 beta 1.0 rather than specifically a 14.4 beta (the 14.4 beta label was probably given because it's now April!).

Hopefully soon we will see a 14.5 beta which should be more substantial. This release wasn't 14.5 beta because 14.5 probably isn't quite ready even for beta status, and they needed a relatively stable (but very recent) base for the 295X2 review drivers.

2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I heard a while back that certain 7xxx GPUs were built with some really electronically-noisy component that could cause the monitor signal to disconnect at times. Heard it was fixed after some point though. But in any case, I doubt that's the problem (hoping OEMs learned anyway).

I have the same problem with my monitor disconnecting on standby sometimes. Disabling ULPS so far seemed to of fixed it. Should also note that on Linux (with fglrx and with open-source drivers) this never happened, so I assume it's only related to Windows and Catalyst.

3. V-FrIeNd

V-FrIeNd Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750Ti
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  4. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Is there now switchable graphics laptop support for Mantle? Do you have a GCN GPU in your laptop can u test it? Or does it still crash.

5. V-FrIeNd

V-FrIeNd Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750Ti
    no guy, cause my amd laptops not GCN and now dont have any amd apu gcn in laptop. apu (vilw4) + gpu (gcn) switchable graphics laptops cannot use mantle such....

but only laptop that can disable integrated graphics and have gcn discrete gpu can use mantle.

6. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I'm scared to change drivers. Many people here reports that it's the same as 14.3 driver so maybe we should wait a bit.

7. Valagard

Valagard Guest

>New drivers
    >Nothing new in them, no performance improvements

Much as I am impartial to both AMD and Nvidia, this is fricken silly AMD

What was the point of this driver if nothing new has been done?

8. shredderman

shredderman Active Member

GPU:
    Galax RTX 3060 12GB
    At this point it's most of the tiny stuff, you won't see any tangible differences until possibly later in the year. That's my speculation of course, but it seems like most of the bug fixes are being worked at and they're trying to just get the R9 series more room to grow in this case.

Be surprised if they fix the issues at hand but we're subjected with a huge waiting curve since they're more focused on The R9 Series, it's best to just report all the issues (since that's what a beta is for) and just go with what driver works. Of course it's not the case with everyone, but instead of holding up pitch forks and torches you can start by telling us your problems with the drivers rather than saying "AMD bad, drivers bad, I hate AMD". It helps to talk about it rather than pointing the finger.

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I have a APU + AMD dGPU laptop (7660G + 7670M), and these drivers worked fine on it without modification; switchable graphics menu present.

10. V-FrIeNd

V-FrIeNd Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750Ti
    6620G+6650M doesnt have menu.
    (uninstall normally + ddu in safe mode)

I see inf dont have px menu.

I think your old registry config about px not deleted...
    If pure install it doesnt have switchable graphics menu such as me.

11. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    Do release notes for this driver set exist yet? I'm scared to install another driver that messes with CF.

12. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Do you have a custom refresh rate (higher) set or something, oced your monitor?

13. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    I think only Llano APUs are missing switchable graphics, not Trinity or Richland.

14. V-FrIeNd

V-FrIeNd Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750Ti
    probable

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Refer to my post:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4798922&postcount=61

AMD haven't actually released or intended this driver for the general market, they just needed to privately distribute a stable review driver with support for the 295X2.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah my bad, I thought that's what you were on about

17. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yeah I think this driver is no the same as the actual 14.4 driver

18. Probotector

Probotector Member

GPU:
    Crossfire 290 @ 1100/1400
    So smooth all games with this drivers, no stuttering and vsync problems for the moment, happy now :)

My card is a single R9 290

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Might be worth trying then, thanks. :p

Be mainly the 295X2 support id have thought, as they are only 2 weeks newer than the 14.3s, but at least they managed to fix the powertune bug, and the sticky clocks in that time. :)

20. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Unfortunately i can't test this driver, it installs but by some reason my display (lcd tv) is getting not fully installed. I had the same problem earlier with other version of drivers, 13.12 or 13.11, i do not remember now. It is enough if i connect any other display, it will be recognized properly. With my tv, to be precise: samsung LE37A551P2RXXC connected via hdmi, when i checked in device manager in safe mode there is exclamation mark next to display name. Because of this i had to turn back to 14.3 driver.

Another curious observation: i've tried latest amd cleanup utility to remove driver and it worked fine and even better than just fine, it removed also driver for my creative x-fi titanium soundcard., have no idea why xD