Drivers only installing in Safe Mode?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Apollo127, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Apollo127

Apollo127 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 650
    Hey guys, I upgraded from a 550ti to a 650 beginning of this year and I noticed that my video card was running on the standard vga driver so I attempted to install the latest driver for my car and upon installation it would fail every single time even after running display driver uninstaller, and deleting the driver ect. I tried multiple drivers all of which would fail on the graphics driver section of the install.

Anyways after trial and error I finally got the latest driver 335.23 to install but it would only install while I was booted in Safe Mode. I thought this was fine but I later found out that the newer nvidia drivers wont install physx if you install them in safe mode so I downloaded and installed physx once I rebooted and wasnt in safe mode...

Anyways I then attempted to play Diablo 3 and I am now getting errors that my video card is either unsupported (I checked, and its supported and I used to play before update) or I needed to update my driver (which I am on the most recent driver)...

When I try to play World of Wacraft it also says it is unable to start up 3D acceleration. I then ran a Dxdiag and noticed the following:

DDraw Status: Not Available
    D3D Status: Not Available
    AGP Status: Not Available

I'm not sure if this is because I installed the driver in safe mode or what the cause is, but I am currently unable to play diablo 3 or world of warcraft.

Any help is appreciated, I have no idea why I can only install the driver in safe mode? Thanks!

Ps, when I reboot after uninstalling and removing all the old driver files, the standard vga driver automatically installs and I cannot get it to stop that from happening so I'm not sure if that is why the drivers wont install unless I'm in safe mode? :bang::bang:

2. Apollo127

Apollo127 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 650
    350 views and no one has ever ran into this issue or has any ideas I can try? I really want to get this figured out so I can play games again :cry: Maybe the new driver that is supposed to come out tomorrow will help?

3. Cyris

Cyris Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    First, you have to disable the automatic driver download (screenshot).

[​IMG]

Then go to your Windows Control Panel/Programs and Features and delete all existing Nvidia drivers (Driver, HD-Audio, Physx. etc.). After the last restart he should now just install the standard VGA driver, no Nvidia software.
    If so, use the "Display Driver Uninstaller" in safemode. Now all drivers should be removed and the new drivers had to be installed without any problems.
    Good luck

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    How did you accomplish this? I got such problems when I tried driver/registry cleaners which broke my Windows install. I would recommend you reinstall/refresh windows and use only programs and features to uninstall drivers or device manager at the most.

5. SumLeetNub

SumLeetNub Member Guru

GPU:
    yes
    This ^^ except he means uninstall, not delete (sorry for being a pedantic tw4t).

IF that doesn't work, uninstall, boot into VGA mode, this is in the list you get when you keep smackin the keys to get the list up for booting into safe mode, safe mode with ***working etc.

Then clean the remnants out with whatever you use making sure you choose vga cleanup, PhysX cleanup etc. I use DC.*** so I get a whole bunch of NVidia options to clean (vga, MB, physx, HDMI, control panel NVidia wdm and stereo), to be safe run ccleaner registry cleanup after.

Then try and install the drivers you want in standard mode. Then report back if all is not well..or if it is

why does it * out the n e t in ***working??? tehfuq!

6. Apollo127

Apollo127 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 650
    Thanks for the replies, none of the recommendations were working so I ended up just reinstalling windows and everything is working good now, didn't mind losing all my stuff on my computer because it was pretty full anyways! Thanks :banana: