STALKER Lost Alpha thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Labyrinth, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    To be released on the 26th April 2014, sadly a tester decided to leak the game

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alph...S.T.A.L.K.E.R.+-+Lost+Alpha+on+Mod+DB+(News))

Download links

Torrent magnet link
    Code:
    magnet:?xt=urn:btih:L64FN5UGWUKRZ4UQNUKCI7IEDG6BTJZY&dn=S.T.A.L.K.E.R._LOST_ALPHA_v1.3000_setup&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.istole.it%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopen.demonii.com%3a1337
    Moddb http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/downloads
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4807540&postcount=43
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4807624&postcount=52

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  2. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    STALKER is one of the PC's finest ip's, why would you feel the need to leak it and hurt the devs. Wanker.

Will wait for the 26th and donate via paypal.

3. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Eh it seemed there was alot of drama over very little, a buggy pre release alpha got leaked and omg.

just clarify the issue it was not meant for publc consumption.

unless it was all a blatant pr stunt which it kind of smacks of if one minute they are protesting saying this game is done, next they say wlel dl it and consider it alpha and give us money.

very likely it was intentionaly leaked to stir up some publicity anyway in my eyes, but i am a cinic.

4. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    ...leaked mod for 2007 game? :) So now we have a PR departments among some moders groups nowadays? :p Or I just a cynical person?.. I know the cynicism comes with age but I just bet that this leaked mod just an advertising move...

Tho I looking forward to try it out...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014

5. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Is this a mod or a new story by the original developers? I'm definitely interested... such a great series.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Mod the devs are no more.

7. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Didn't expect to see this coming out at all tbh, hope it'll have been worth the wait.

8. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    I don't think I understand what is happening... some rhetorical questions:
    Why would the leakage of this software affect development?
    What's the difference between being an official and unofficial add-on?

If this is anywhere on par with the first trio of games, even as a DLC, you've got a customer. A recent playthrough of Metro Last Light brought back fond memories of the Chernobyl outback... maybe this will be the game that finally pulls me away from Borderlands 2.

9. Scyphe

Scyphe Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060
    Development: I guess having the work leaked before it's finished can have a negative effect on the people working on it.

Difference: If it was "official" in the sense that it got the support/thumbs up by the IP-owner it means it could be released as part of the Stalker-family and lead to good stuff for the developers of the mod. Who knows what the leak led to (except the developers)? Perhaps the IP-owner turned the thumb down and the team is left with less than they had hoped for.

I'm confused about how anybody can even begin to interpret or suspect this is some kind of ad-campaign. I'm cynical squared and the normal predictable cynics that usually sling the "advertising"/"attention"-campaign.

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    because the mod makers said it would?

game leaked out, news stories got ran, mod makers came out said some asshat leaked our stuff so we wont be releasing our stuff. one tool ruined for you all kind of deal.

their actual reason at the time as i recall was it was buggy and unfinished and they felt it was too buggy to be released and they would get bad press, god knows how that would be with the state of pre release crap on steam and elsewhere, hell retail crap and steam in some cases.

day later they say well it was unfortunate, but well call it pre alpha soldier on and btw give us money.

publicity. they got more people chattering by releasing and saying NO GAME FOR YOU. one day then about facing the next.

so when stuff gets leaked like this it does make me question it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014

11. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Just because it's a mod doesn't mean it doesn't deserve the same amount of respect that an official add on would get.
    Anytime anything from Black Mesa would leak out they would try and do damage control to address the issue.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I wonder what Stalker would look like using the UE4 engine?

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Imo Unreal Engine has too much of this futuristic look, nature was never its strong point.

I would say Luminous or SnowDrop Engine would be more suitable :)

Speaking of mods, Autumn Aurora2 is very good too, also uses enhanced grass rendering (higher values) and modded tree textures.
    Total file size with mod is ~ 10.5gb

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Actually that's the strength of the Unreal Engine.
    It's incredibly flexible and capable of being used for so many different styles.

I mean who would look at say.... Mirror's Edge, Borderlands 2, Thief, BioShock: Infinite, DisHonored... the Batman: Arkham series... and instantly say "These are all on the same tech because they look so similar."

There are certain things in Unreal Engine that stand out, but the engine is very capable.
    It did a fantastic job of rendering the environments in Betrayer. And that was made by 6 guys with no publisher funding. So, I'd think it would be possible for a large developer with backing to do some amazing things.

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I like the lighting, I think it could probably render some beautiful atmospheric areas.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    so apparently some tester has leaked beta version - boohoo cry me a river

they chickened out and are releasing it because they know that they can't meet goals and fans expectations for something this long in development

yeah a real shocker :3eyes:
    who in their wildest dreams could have ever imagined something like this happening - a total stranger among hundreds of testers leaking your beta build :wanker:

17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    No disrespect here on modders community. I'm one of "them"...with long time service :) ...tho I don't do that kind of stuff anymore - age, laziness, work, etc.

It's just I don't believe in coincidences...leaked, partially forgotten mod for old (not bad tho) game before official rls? My thoughts - it was leaked purposely so the community on forums and such start talking about it and stuff :) ...as we doin it right now on guru3d :p ...I believe some ppl on other forums do the same thing on some threads. So I'm thinking, this leak created more good than bad for mod creators ;)

IMO

PS. ...but even if I'm wrong about their intentions and such (which I ain't), they should've leak their mod anyways - standart PR tactics ;)

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    And BF games their engines have some roots in the Unreal engine, just as Valve's engines have some roots in the Quake engine.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What do you mean that's its strength?

I specifically said foliage was never the strong point and by all those games none had any real foliage worth mentioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GiwA8swRU0&hd=1, this is the best it can get and Imho its more like some plastic fairytale.

Anyway lets get back on topic..

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I was replying to your "it's got a futuristic look" comment.
    The engine is incredibly versatile and can easily be used to accommodate what the developer needs.
    It's good for WWII era (MoH: Airborne still looks great) to sci-fi, horror... realistic and to fantasy.
    The strength of the engine is how diverse the engine itself is.