Intel HD Graphics vs Onboard Sound ?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by bluedevil, Apr 2, 2014.

1. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    Most of us have these shiny CPU's with integrated video cards that don't get used at all because we have good video cards.

Can we use the computing power of the integrated video cards for sound processing, ether to enhance on board sound or replace it ?
    What would the impediments to this be ? It should work ...at least in theory .

Does anyone know of such software for Intel ?

PS: Didn't know where to post this because it is related to sound and general purpose computing.

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Yes, and you can also use it for 3d :) Just use the HDMI on your mobo and you're good to go, also install the intel drivers fromasrock downloads page :)

regards
    ,Ragdoll.

3. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    what i want is instead of buyng a better sound card is there software that can use the integrated video graphics from Intel CPU's to do all the sound processing bypassing the crappy onboard soundcard ?

for example the sound effects in a game would get rooted to the IntelĀ® HD Graphics 3000 for I5 2500k instead of the onboard soundcard then output to headphones/speakers.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  4. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I just said this, yes you can... Go to the drivers section on the ASROCK website and get the intel drivers...

regards
    ,RagDoll.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was under impression that videocard just takes sound from soundcard and passes it to its outputs...

6. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    You can do that too, but he wants to use the intel cpu's capabilities...

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Well, he wrote about GPU`s capabilities...

8. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    The intel cpu's can be used as a gpu aswell as cpu

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If GPU integrated in CPU has no capabilities of sound processing and only CPU has then I suspect CPU will be overwhelmed in games (for example). Or if application doesn`t use GPU for sound processing...

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    Intel I5 2500k and all newer Intel cpu's have an integrated graphics cip HD 3000 etc but you can't use it as a soundcard this is the whole point of my post i want the HD 3000 to be used as a soundcard not use HDMI to transmit the sound processed by the Realtek onboard soundcard to TV
    mbk1969 is right .
    The Intel HD 3000 grapics card just sits there doing nothing what a waste.

11. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Both of you are wrong, cos I have used the GPU, including sound capabilities with my intel cpu and mobo....

[​IMG]

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And where is the sound in that picture?

Edit: bluedevil, it is possible that digital audio data goes directly from CPU to GPU, i.e. without soundcard. HDMI is digital interface so it doesn`t need analogue signal and thus digital to analogue conversion is not needed. What CPU and GPU can`t do is analogue audio signal, afaik. You can test it easily - disable soundcard in device manager, select videocard`s audio interface in audio playback devices and then play any media content on TV/monitor-with-speakers.

13. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
  14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Dude, he wants to use the GPU itself to render sound. That's what he's looking for. Sort of like what TrueAudio does on AMD cards, renders audio effects on GPU.

15. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Ahh, hello, that's what it's doing!

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    wtf have I just read, it hurts my eyes this early in the morning. OP, if you want better than onboard sound, you'll have to get a soundcard or an external solution.

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No, you do NOT render any audio effects when using HDMI passthrough! You just pass digital audio between frames.

He wants a way to use the iGPU as a DSP, instead of the CPU.

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    @Op Intel does not have a function like that, only AMD does atm, Nvidia doesn't either. Maybe in the future we might see a them do it. But I doubt we will see Intel using the GPU to do something simlar to what AMD does. Since Intel hasn't improve their Azalia audio codec, I doubt they even care enough to even do it. The only thing you can do if you want improved audio is either go to a sound card or external dac amp.

But if you want something similar to what AMD has then your only choice is AMD but I don't suggest you going to a R series card just for that. Because it might not even take off as it might need a second or 3rd company before that idea take off.

@Ragdoll that not how the HDMI audio work on the motherboard, it uses the intel audio codec to send the audio over HDMI While Realtek or its own for the other analog outputs. I know because a friend of mine does just that for his receiver using the HDMI on the motherboard for audio while the analog socket for his headphones, and he has a Gigabyte Z87 sniper mobo with core3D which is used for the analog and optical but not the HDMI. AMD is the only one with the function to use their GPU to render Audio effects like TruAudio. Remember when you are using the HDMI out it uses the Codec which is it own chip that intel made many many years ago which they haven;t updated.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014