Having one of my bottom molars removed next week, how painful we talking?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Bentez, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Went to the dentist for the first time in over a decade today. I moved years ago and I didn't sort out a new one (laziness plus I don't like the thought of drills too much)

I only need one filling but because my left wisdom has come through at a 45 degree angle it has f*cked with the root of the tooth next to it he said (Which had a filling the last time I went to a dentist)

The Dr I saw today Xray'd it and said I needed a tooth extraction. It would be under local anesthetic but the thought of someone pulling one of my defenseless teeth out sucks! Haven't had any teeth out at this point (I'm 29)

How bad is this sh!t gonna be? (regretting asking already - definitely should not of google image'd it.. :puke2:)

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Quite painful. Get some co-codamol tablets to be on the safe side.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Depends how good your dentist is, Ive had a few teeth out, one of them was a top back wisdom tooth and to be honest it was fine - so long as you are properly numbed (You can tell them to numb you again if you can still feel it) then all you feel is pulling

I had a crappy dentist for one of my side top teeth who tried for 15 minutes to pull this thing out and failed, eventually had to book me back in and cut the gum from root to tooth and pry it out from the bottom, apparently I have very long roots - personally I think she was just inexperienced and crap because other dentists before and after that one have managed in a few seconds just fine

Had 3 teeth out in total after going off the rails and abusing my body for years and as much as I hate dentists, it's not so much pain as pressure

The pain comes after the anaesthetic wears off and you have a big hole in your head - then you're gonna want some pain killers

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Shouldn't be too bad as long as dentist is experienced. I had a couple root canals and it was the worst pain I've had in my life. Anyways don't overwork yourself thinking about it it you'll make it worse

5. ALPINEST4RS

ALPINEST4RS Guest

GPU:
    Gbyte 7970 GHZ 3GB
    I was knocked out when I had my wizdom teeth pulled.

Be thankful thats all you have. My uncle didn't go for over a decade and ended up having stage 4 tongue and throat cancer.

Do not skip your yearlys!! :)

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i suggest you wear a mp3 player with loud music during the treatment

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    If the dentist is any good, the only thing you feel will be the needle prick from the numbing agent. Make sure you keep the activity afterwards to a minimum. Blood flow is what causes the chipmunk effect when molars are removed.

8. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    Thanks for the reassurance fellas, I'll be sure to test that my gum is as numb as f*ck before I let him start!

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The anesthesia wears off, thats when you might feel pain. They will probably give you some pain-killers when you leave.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    It wears off, but for me, did not feel anything. Had the pain killers on hand just incase. But then I filled the whole time with my favorite movies: FIST FULL OF DOLLARS, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY, BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI, THE GREAT ESCAPE, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, THE LADY KILLERS (original b&w with Alec Guinness), THE MAN IN THE WHITE FLANNEL SUIT, and a guilty pleasure BUCKROO BANZAI: ADVENTURES ACROSS THE EIGHTH DIMENSION.

11. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Yeah I go with crap dentist, had few teeth pulled myself....Dentist managed get them out no problem with lots of tugging an force, his whole hands were shaking he used that much force. He was saying I had longest roots he's ever seen. Showed me the teeth, looked like dog teeth really long.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    [​IMG]

13. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    hahaha, not cool man, not cool :wanker:

14. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Oh, god, you'll be fine then. They'll probably give you a weeks supply of hydrocodone afterwards and you'll be feeling good.

15. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    As others have said. It depends on how experienced your Dentist is. I had one wisdom tooth pulled and it was painful but not by that much. Mind you though it will still hurt. xD

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    At the ripe old age of 25 I have had 4 teeth extracted and 9 fillings. I feel like somewhat of an expert in this area now. :)

Like many have said, it depends on your dentist and overall tolerance of pain. My first extraction a few years back almost left me in shock, even though I have a high tolerance for pain. The act of having drills, wrenches and other apparatus ripping this tooth I had known for so long right out of my head gave me cold sweats and loss of movement and memory for almost half an hour.

Not trying to be sadistic, just be ready for what may come and be careful and attentive when having to apply medical pads to the area where the tooth used to reside. My problem with the first extraction was after I got home. I was pressing much to hard with my teeth to try and keep the medical pad in place and "force" the open hole to stop bleeding. What I ended up doing was make the bloody gums start to heal to the medical pad itself, so when it came time to replace it with a fresh one I was ripping out all of the healing progress that had been made, starting the blood fountain out of the tooth hole again.

Lesson learned. BIG TIME. My three extractions after that one went much better because I just used my teeth and tongue to keep the medical pad in place, not force it. Sorry this post is so long, but I hope it may help in some way.

P.S. We do bring this stuff upon ourselves most of the time, seeing as neither of us had been to a dentist in a very long time. Still, I feel for ya. Here's to everything going well. :)

17. kaingr

kaingr Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    come on its nothing really just let the anesthetic work if it doesent tell him to give you another shot and the pain will come after the operation and mayby some swelling to in a week you will forget it ever happened trust me as long as your doctor remembers his oath and his not a butcher....good luck i have a doctors apointment in a week so i feel for you

18. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    bottle of whiskey and a pair of pliers....

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This^...Ouch!....you will be ok OP...

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I had my upper wisdom teeth taken out in March 2006 due to cavities that caused both teeth to, essentially, split in half. The process itself wasn't bad at all but, in hind-sight, going to work immediately afterwards was probably a very bad idea. Once the anesthetic wore off, the pain was almost unbearable.