NETGEAR Launches new Advanced Cable Modem - does 1 Gbps

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I've never been a fan of netgear, and I'm getting a little skeptical of the increasing transfer rates of wifi. Such speed will probably mean shorter range, and if not, then much more power consuming. High speed is useless if you have to re-download the packets due to corruption.

The thing many people don't realize about wifi is the actual bandwidth is divided for every person connected. While 1Gbp/s is definitely fast enough for the average high-speed internet connection divided among a family or a coffee shop, I think it'd make more sense for routers to have multiple emitters operating at slower speeds, so that way each user gets the true bandwidth they're connected to. This of course would be more power consuming for the router and would be a serious interference problem if you're in an apartment building, but, for a building with several users, this would offer better speed with less power consumption for the users themselves.

3. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Beamforming allows for a more consistent transfer rate to multiple clients because the router's radio is focusing exactly on the client that is requesting the signal. With beamforming, I think there still is a limit for how many can connect to the router to provide stable streams, but its better than the doughnut dome that normal radio's put out. Downside is some implementations don't work well without a clear line of sight.

On the speed side of things, 802.11AC allows for higher modulation and channel widths than with Wireless-N. Up to 160mhz channel width and up to 256-QAM (same as used in cable modem frequencies). Problem is, is that the channel width being at least twice longer than Wireless-N widths (at least 80mhz for wireless AC) and we soon face the whole 40 mhz width in a 2.4ghz spectrum dilemna again. Even though it can only be done in 5 ghz, even the 5ghz channels are going to be used it quickly. The range is still roughly the same as N ever was, but the link rate you get at that same distance is higher than that of wireless N.

There's still lots of room for wireless speed increases, but we would need to incorporate the technologies like DOCSIS 3.1 is providing for higher speed (4K QAM using OFDM at 20-50khz widths).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is nice to bad residential people dont even have access to such speeds

5. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    I do :)

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    one of the lucky few. then cause most dont

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    but they are testing it, after they do... gogo.

In barcelona there r a few streets which have it, at quite good price IMO. Not that it worths so much... 20mbps is more than enough in my opinion for 99% ppl

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    not in the states, EU/Asia is more along as far those kind speeds go

I currently pay 109$ for 100mbit + Phone line, and i sure there people out there they pay hell of alot more for lot less speed.

1gbps is great and I Would love it but know the prices for just 100mbit makes me cringe at what they might charge for 1gbps.

Hell there are people out there that pay 29.99 for 3mbit which even more of rip off ( points at Verizon dsl in the states) which was customer of for 10+ years before my bill for 1 house number 1 dsl number + the actual dsl service was toping out at 110$ a month.

Which why i droped verizon for Optimum if i gona pay that kind money i better have speed to go with it.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I can already hear Comcast smiling. They'll be like, "oh you want 1Gb/s? Starting price of $999/month, then we raise it to $4,500 after one year."

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yep yet japan pays what 50$ us if that for 500mbps or so the rumors go

I will jump for joy when 1gbps is available and dont cause a few limbs which i dont see happen any time soon atlest not in the states

11. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    In Spain, the biggest cable company "Ono" gives you 200/15 Mbps for 60 €/month (taxes included) if you have a PS4, if not, it only gives you 100/10 Mbps (yep, makes no sense at all).
    The small cable companies have better offers.

As for FTTH, Jazztel FTTH gives you 200/200 Mbps for 58 €/month and Adamo FTTH gives you 1.000/200 Mbps for 45 €/month.

Unlike Comcast, none have bandwidth caps or P2P throttling.

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I will jump for joy when comcast goes bankrupt.

13. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    I don't know why poeople don't like Comcast. I have had nothing but goodness from them. been with them since 2000, haven't had a service interuption in the last 8 years except for a giant blackout that affected the whole town but that was fixed in like 2 days when the power in the area came back, i pay 130$ for their triple play package and i was paying an extra 10$ for their blast internet service and they recently bumped me up to extreme 105 service for free because they are making blast a part of the regular package apparently. I have never been throttled( i monitor all my network speeds realtime with a sidebar gadget) netflix, steam, origin all use up to 120 megabits of my download speed. I have never gotten any letters or anything about downloading too much and I have reached 2tb of data in a month 2 months in a row when i had to backup tons of **** to a friends nas. comcast didn't give a fudge.

as far as the cost of service i guess people can be peeved about that but thats currently the case for ALL ISPs in atleast North America. Google being the exception.

now for the gripes and tips with comcast
    my only tip with comcast... get your own modem! save 7$ per month most of the problems i had with comcast was their own modem buying my own fixed every issue i had with them.

gripes...
    2$ per month for the extra little boxes to get cable to extra tvs.
    7$ per month extra for hd box without dvr
    10$ per month extra for hd box with dvr

and thats about it for me. although i guess speeds could be higher and prices all around could be lower. lets just all hope Google comes to more areas so this bleeding from ALL ISPs can stop. its not just comcast people! you should never hope a company like comcast goes bankrupt someone else will just mov in and take over where they left off. hope comcast thrives and spreads to more areas with more competition. competition will drive speeds, services, and prices down.

14. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Here's the thing... you seemed happy to pay $140 per month when you should have been paying half of that.

15. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    Yeah as i said cost is the only gripe. but if no other ISP but google is offering anything even comparable why would i want comcast to go out of business? if google went nationwide(usa obviously), tomorrow, full functionality. Every ISP would be forced to offer a competitive alternative or lose all their customers. that is what is needed right now.

now if comcast in particular was somehow impeding the spread of google or some other isp into their areas then yeah thats ****ty but who else would i go with? at&t is my only other option and their fastest internet speeds are less than half of what i have right now in my area and cost about the same.

every single north american isp but google is doing the same thing. to say one of them in particular should be put on the chopping block is just silly. they all need a kick in the butt. HARD. and google right now appears to be the answer to that.

16. thpalex

thpalex Guest

GPU:
    USA
    Well, In Asian counties, internet speed is very poor somewhere and average somewhere.... Businesses are still looking for high speed internet connection company.

17. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I pay 30-50 pound for 100/20. 30 pound mostly since i don't ever use the landline for my calls.

It's not superfast but i'm totally happy with it. 10+mb/s doesn't seem much but games like BF4 Premium finish in less than an hour and that's 50+gb's.

This isn't a retail Router. This Netgear is for ISP's to give out for free.