HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    -Current Request Queue:-
    1. Risen 2
    2. MX vs ATV Reflex
    3. Ghost Recon Future Soldier
    4. Bulletstorm
    5. Far Cry 3
    6. Call of Duty Black Ops II
    7. Assassin's Creed 1 Dx9(0x00000022 ? Please test)
    8. Castlevania Lords of Shadow:Mirror of Fate HD

2. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    I will test Assassin's Creed later today, tell me though is there no DX10 flag? Or is the DX9 supposed to be there just for people without DX10?

3. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Actually DX9 and DX10/11 uses the same compatibility flag in NVIDIA Inspector for Ambient Occlusion.
    But some specific AO bits only affect DX10+ and some only affect DX9.

For example does the "Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood" AO flag "0x00060019" contain both DX9 and DX10 AO bits.
    This is very strange, since this particular game is DX9 only, but is probably a "left-over" from the driver profile of the original CoJ.
    In reality you could force HBAO+ in CoJ:BiB with only "0x00000019" ;)

In the original Call of Juarez, you could force SSAO with "0x00060000" in DX10 with the older drivers.
    Haven't checked if this flag still works for HBAO+ (don't have CoJ 1 installed at the moment).

Another example of a DX10+ only AO flag is the Crysis 3 HBAO+ flag "0x000E0000".
    Unfortunately this flag only applies HBAO+ indoors in C3, and not outdoors.
    So it is really not worth the performance hit IMO.

The point is, that you could in theory find a HBAO+ flag for Assassin's Creed 1, that works in both DX9 and DX10 mode.
    But different "parts" of the profile affect the two APIs.
    For example would "0x00000022" only affect the DX9 mode of AC1.

If you wish to find an DX10+DX9 AO flag for AC or any other game, then it must have the form:

Hope this clears it up :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  4. darkninjavn

darkninjavn Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx660
    AC2 trilogy work with "0x00000022" flag. Sorry for no screenshot here because I removed these game.

5. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    And I saw a pink elephant yesterday, but forgot to take a picture of it.
    So you will just have to take my word on it.
    Evidence, people; evidence :banana:

6. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    Tested Assassin's Creed DX9 with the 0x00000022 flag.
    Seems to work, however it's not a perfect solution as it's visible through various special effects like smoke, fire, animus UI and the like.

Forgive lack of AA but I don't plan on playing the game, redownloaded it purely to test the flag and didn't bother checking AA flags for it.

No AO:
    [​IMG]

HBAO+ Enabled (0x00000022):
    [​IMG]

HBAO+ Enabled (0x00000022), clipping through transparency effects:
    [​IMG]

To be perfectly honest I'm not surprised in the slightest that it works, as the flag is for Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands which uses the very same engine as AssCreed games. As a result, it should also work fine in AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations. I know AC3 had some modifications to the engine so it may not work there.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No worries about the lack of AA, I usually test with AA off first anyway myself.

Thanks for testing it.

Didn't someone test prior with the official flag and it had issues? I can't remember.

The fact that 22 somewhat works gives hope that there is a flag out there that could work. Just need to find it. Try the adjacent flags, and the bioshock 1,2 flag maybe.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  8. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Excellent work.
    If everybody made HBAO+ posts like this, we would have a high quality "library" of AO flags in no time :)

By the way, you don't need special AA bits in AC1.
    Just enable ingame 4xMSAA by setting "Multisampling=2" in "assassin.ini":
    http://www.tweakguides.com/AC_8.html

This can then be enhanced to 4xMSAA + 4xSGSSAA or 8xQ MSAA + 8xSGSSAA through the driver.
    Fortunately the ingame MSAA in AC is so high quality, that we don't need to force SGSSAA with a custom AA flag.

Alternatively you should completely disable ingame AA, and force MSAA+SGSSAA through the driver in DX9 using "0x000012C1".
    But in this particular game there should be no discernible difference in IQ between forced and enhanced SGSSAA ;)

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    DX10 version AO is still no go?

10. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I don't believe the official profile works for HBAO+ in either DX9 or DX10.
    But now we have confirmation, that "0x00000022" works in DX9.
    Feel free to look for a complete DX9+DX10 HBAO+ flag for AC1:

The X variable is what determines, how HBAO+ is rendered and displayed in DX10 and above.

11. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I have found a working HBAO+ flag "0x00020023" for the DX9 version of BioShock.
    The official profile "0x00020000" only contains DX10 AO bits, and won't have any effect in DX9 mode.

I have no idea, if "0x00020000" still works in DX10 mode after the switch to HBAO+ in the drivers.
    IMO this is not very important either, since we can only force SGSSAA in DX9 mode ;)
    If someone else wants to do DX10 AO testing in BioShock, feel free to do so.
    But for now I just think we should add "0x00020023" to the HBAO+ list for BioShock DX9 :)

Here is my full HBAO+ report for BioShock from 3DCenter:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10162862&postcount=5684

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Why are you only posting your stuff in that thread? I thought you could post images now? :pc1:

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  14. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    No particular reason.
    Just old habits I guess ;)
    Also I am kinda used to the way tables and thumbnails are used in the 3DCenter forum.

15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Perhaps someone should check, if "0x00020023" also works for HBAO+ in the DX9 mode of BioShock 2?
    I suspect it might, since the engines used in BioShock 1 and 2 are almost identical.
    Don't own BioShock 2 myself, so someone else will have to do it ;)

16. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    Thanks so much for this thread. I tried updating the new flag for Bioshock and was AMAZED at how much better it looked. The shadows are far more subtle and realistic than the old setting. I've taken a few screenshots that I'll post later. In the mean time I'm going through all the games on your list and updating the ones that I own.

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I see little to no reason to do extensive HBAO+ testing in FC3.
    The ingame HDAO setting looks very impressive IMO.
    Of course it is demanding, but so would DX11 HBAO+ be if it was possible to force something that equals or exceeds the IQ of HDAO ;)

Btw, I have updated my full AA/AO guide for FC2/FC3 in the 3DCenter AA thread (The FC3 screenshots in this post are downsampled from 2880x1800 to 1920x1200):
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9869119&postcount=4636

It should be said, that I still haven't tried forcing HBAO+ in FC3 DX11.
    But I really don't see the point, when HDAO works as well as it does in this particular game :)

Welcome to the thread, and thank you very much for the kind words on my BioShock HBAO+ flag.
    I am also very satisfied with the result myself.
    I think we would all greatly appreciate any additional info, or possibly new custom HBAO+ flags for other games, you could contribute with ;)

18. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    I also own Bioshock 2 so I'll check to see if "0x00020023" works for HBAO+ in the DX9 mode.

19. Canzah

Canzah Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti GHz
    If anyone has Arkham Origins Blackgate, I'd like to request AO flag.
    Don't bother with all the Unreal Engine 3 or Source Engine based flags, none of those work for sure as I tried those.

20. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I don't own this one :(
    But I do own Batman: Arkham Origins, and run it at 2880x1800 (1.5x1.5 downsampling to 1920x1200) with maximum settings, PhysX=High, "Motion Blur" set to "Disabled" and "Anti-Aliasing" set to "Geforce TXAA High".
    For more details on my ingame tweaks and settings in B:AO, see this post:
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=9546485&postcount=3549

The ingame "DX11 Enhanced" ambient occlusion setting actually enables HBAO+ in B:AO ;)
    Have a look at this guide from the Geforce site:
    http://www.geforce.com//whats-new/guides/batman-arkham-origins-graphics-and-performance-guide