Watch Dogs

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scatman839, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    The recommended & ultra specs have been listed on the Uplay Store but they've been pulled since. They weren't made up but does that mean they are legit ?
    Apparently not, the only legit ones we have for now are the minimum ones given by Morin. Everything else is subject to change.

However, I'm not expecting any better than Black Flag's laughably bad CPU utilization.
    [​IMG]

I'm still confident it will be a well rounded PC version as far as graphics are concerned but we have reasons to be worried on the optimization side of things.
    Ubisoft are interested in making their PC skus pretty to look at because it can be more easily marketed, what happens next isn't so pretty unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  2. rodrigoles

rodrigoles Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 5600 XT
    is this guy doing what i think he's doing ? lol

[​IMG]

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Its not him i am worried about, its what the two on the left are doing. lol

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    better go HACK him quick!!

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    superb!
    most of it. except 1:36-1:59

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Im pretty sure the E3 2012 demo was on PS4. Everywhere else seems to confirm this.

7. twoodster

twoodster Member Guru

GPU:
    r9 280X
    The PS4 wasn't even announced until the following year

8. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
  9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Watch Dogs uses a new aggressively multithreaded renderer. I think it's Ubisoft's first multithreaded renderer. Every engine they've made to this point has used a single threaded renderer, including AC IV..

I don't know whether they will be using manual or DX11 multithreading. If it's the latter, it will only work for NVidia, and it's more effective than manual..

I'm hoping they used both. Manual for AMD, and DX11 multithreading for NVidia..

10. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    They've been pretending they have a multithreaded renderer for years, I would not put too much stock into their claims.
    Nvidia's driver command lists may help, we will see. After all it's a "TWIMTBP" game.
    I hope their have a fully fledged compute shader pipeline (DX11 as a baseline is good news in that respect) so the game is less CPU dependant.
    I'm grasping at anything I can to remain optimistic with regards to the optimization.
    Those who have high-end OC'd CPUs have nothing to worry about, the 99,99999% of the PC market however fear that the game is simply too punishing on the CPU.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That benchmark was done on AMD hardware using early drivers I believe. Once AC IV optimized drivers came out, the game performed much better and used four threads, as verified by myself and game reviewers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The minimum frame rates for the i5 4670 are higher than for the i3 4340, a dual core..

12. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    [​IMG]
    Yup, pretty much what many have been reporting, poor CPU utilization accross the board.
    I tried unparking cores but it did not yield interesting results.

Shame, I hope Nvidia will release well optimized drivers for the game.
    They've been working with Ubisoft for quite a while (word on the street is the E3 2012 demo ran on a GTX680) and that bodes well for Nvidia owners.

What can we realistically expect ? HBAO+, TXAA, PCSS, Nvidia DOF would be great, maybe Turbulence for smoke effects.
    Stuff like Waveworks would be amazing for water simulation but that's a very long shot.

13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Actually, they did make two games that had a multithreaded renderer courtesy of DX11 multithreading. Far Cry 3 and AC III..

Far Cry 3's implementation was broken however and didn't work properly, but AC III's did. AC III got a large boost in CPU bound situations due to DX11 multithreading.

[​IMG]

If they do use DX11 multithreading, the performance increase should be very nice..

14. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    I remember FC3 having this option, however for some reason it was removed.
    AC3 III suffered from the same woes Black Flag does. One core consistenly maxed, the other hovering around 20%.

Maybe the new Nvidia driver can improve things for both games, that would be great as they really don't justify the hardware they require to run.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So again, what has AC have to do with watch dogs?

Disrupt is not old Anvil engine and its using Havok physics which is very multi threaded.

Even worse comparisons with FC3 :p Dunia engine has its roots from Cryengine.. Irrelevant to this Disrupt engine, but I see its important because its UBI lol xD

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, neither of those engines have anything to do with Watch Dogs.

I'm also usually the negative one, but I'm not seeing it with this game, even the technical complaints all seem to be based on the cherry picked second half of the E3 2012 trailer, and not the very ordinary looking first half.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    At least the game is trying to offer something different. I really like having to be alert at all times, knowing that a another player could be stalking me.

18. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    AC4 uses Havok too, in conjuction with Physx for the smoke only.
    The comparison with AC4 is relevant because WD is a cross-gen game as well, unfortunately.

Therefore I'm not too confident it will be well multithreaded. I wish PC optimization didnt rely solely on brute force. :(

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So what, its still completely different engine,.. Sorry but AC4 means nothing here, cross-gen or not.

20. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    It does, a cross-gen game is bound to be compromised in some ways.

I'm not expecting Watch Dogs on PC to look (maxed out of course) better by a greater margin than Black Flag.
    Actually, I'm expecting the PS4 and PC version to look very, very close aside from some additional effects here and here.

Prove me wrong Ubisoft, the ball is in your camp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.