BSOD and other problems after new GPU install

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by GPU Loser, Mar 22, 2014.

1. GPU Loser

GPU Loser Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650 1GB
    Hey guys.

I installed a new Gigabyte 650 1GB card in my system yesterday and after the system boot installed the 332.21 driver previously downloaded from the geforce website. I only installed the display driver and physx and unchecked NVIDIA Experience, HD Audio and 3D Vision. After the PC restarted I left it idle for 30 minutes and everything was fine. Then I restarted again and used PC for two hours but didn't run any games and also ran /sfc scannow and it showed no problems. Today I installed two games Street Fighter 4 and Street Fighter X Tekken and played SF4 for 20 mins on medium settings (GPU-Z showed average load of 31% and average temp 42%) and then I started SFxT and I was on the character select screen for 15 minutes setting up the controls when I got a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR BSOD (I took a picture but I can't post due to 10 post limit). I have previously played these games on similar settings on 9500GT and GTX460 and never got a BSOD.

System specs are

Win7 Ultimate 32bit SP1
    Core2Duo E8200
    Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT
    4GB Kingston DDR3
    Xigmatek Tauro 600W

Before I installed this card everthing was working fine and since last year there was no GPU in the system and there was no previous nvidia driver installation as I had to reinstall windows when I changed the motherboard.

Few things I noticed which might be unrelated to this but did not happen during my previous GPU usage is that:

1. After the first restart when the driver install completed I got a Windows Update has finished installing updates (even though the internet was disconnected when I installed the GPU and driver) and I hadn't installed any updates since December and Windows Update was set to disable from services settings and the latest updates in the Update History are from that date. This hasn't happened again.

2. Since installing the display driver I get the 'Windows defender needs to scan your PC' message in the Action Center flagged messages a few minutes after the Action Center has started. This has never happened before after I installed NVIDIA driver but as this was the first driver that required .NET Framework 4 for NVIDIA Experience (both of which I didn't install) could this be due to the .NET4 requirement ?

3. One of my data backup HDDs was not showing up when I turned on the system today and I had to restart system. Before I installed the GPU this never happened with this HDD and I checked all cables after I installed the GPU. Also the PSU is two months old and the cables for the HDDs are also new as I changed them with the PSU.

4. I didn't uninstall the Intel GMA driver before installing the NVIDIA driver but as it caused no issues upto this BSOD it is still installed. Could that be the cause ?

I have never gotten a BSOD this soon with a new GPU and the issues I listed have never occurred before during my previous GPU usage and driver installations.

Also sorry for the long post. I have written everything unusual which I think could be the cause of or related to the BSOD.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x0000007A

3. GPU Loser

GPU Loser Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650 1GB
    Thanks for helping.

So many possible causes :bang:. I will remove the GPU and uninstall driver then use PC for a few hours without it and see if it happens again.

4. GPU Loser

GPU Loser Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650 1GB
    Today when I started checking the GPU :

1. SFxT hanged my system 2 times in 30 minutes but there was no BSOD and I had to restart manually.

2. Then I checked with SF4 for over an hour and it ran perfectly.

3. Then I uninstalled\reinstalled SFxT and after over 45 minutes of working perfectly it hanged and after a few minutes got BSOD but the system restarted and I couldn't see full error but it was 'Shutdown to prevent damage and a crucial thread or process' error and not the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR from before.

4. Then I restarted and again SFxT hanged but now after just a few seconds of starting and BSOD again with the same 'Shutdown to prevent damage and a crucial thread or process' error message and this:

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003 , 0x872BA230 , 0x872BA39C , 0x8306CEA0)

5. After restart I checked with SF4 (which had not given any BSOD or system hang previously) but now it hanged at the character select and then black screen but no BSOD even though I waited for 15 minutes.

Before I installed this GPU I played 3 MMO games on this system on Intel integrated graphics for over one year and never got any BSOD or system hang.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Clean out the PCI Express slot and try re-installing the graphics card. It's not usual for dust to build up in vacant expansion slots and cause problems when those slots suddenly got populated.

6. GPU Loser

GPU Loser Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650 1GB
    Thanks for helping.

I removed the GPU, cleaned the slot, changed the PCI-E cable and reinstalled the GPU.

Tested again and after 15 minutes the system hanged with black screen then 5 minutes after that desktop appeared and system was not hanged and a few seconds after that BSOD with this error :

*** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003 , 0x87293030 , 0x8729319C , 0x83057EA0)

These values (0x87293030 , 0x8729319C , 0x83057EA0) are different from the previous BSOD.

7. van_dammesque

van_dammesque Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    Break things down and test individual parts to be certain start without the GPU and run things like Intel Burnin test, then the likes of memtest86 etc...then for the gpu msi kombustor/furmark/3dmark.
    This will ensure nothing is wrong with the CPU and memory or motherboard.

Then for the gpu msi kombustor/furmark/3dmark.

Also try to borrow a better PSU and see if that helps.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Do u have an SSD?

9. GPU Loser

GPU Loser Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650 1GB
    Thanks for helping.

System is not crashing or hanging with GPU while no games are running. I will now test individually as you advise.

The PSU requirement for card is listed as 400W, isn't this 600W PSU enough to run this card ?

Thanks for helping.

There is no SSD and I also disconnected the data HDD. Now only the HDD with Windows and the games is connected.

10. van_dammesque

van_dammesque Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    It *should* be OK...