Vehicles of Guru3D thread #2

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Glidefan, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I've never owned a Subaru that wasn't a nightmare to work on under the hood (I had an '86 GL Wagon & a '98 Outback).

At least they quit mounting the spare tires under the hood on the engine.
    [​IMG]

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    What the seller means is that the ride will be more bumpy, rough.

Nothing wrong with 18 inch wheels. :)

What's important are not the alloys but your tyre profile, how thin they are.

The thinner the tyre the more bumpy.

Go for a profile of 35-40. Any thinner will give you a rough ride.

3. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Nope. All you need is a helmet for those speeds. Back in the day an 11.99 or faster required a roll cage but now with factory cars going those speeds they had to change the rules around a little.

X2..I used to have an SRT-4 (turbo Neon) that put down over 300hp and close to 400lb/tq :) Want to talk about a front wheel drive tire shredder??? LMAO

It takes some getting used to...old ride was fun. Torque steer sucks. Nice little sleeper though. Here it was screwing around town with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zZkZbIzQD0

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Torque steer, that's the term. ...and holy crap that's a lot of horses and an outlandish amount of torque for a Neon! Was that the standard SRT-4 specs or somewhat modified? That had to be a beast to control! I found it kind of fun once I got used to it in the GXP. That sporty Focus posted a page back has ridiculous amounts of hp for a small, FWD car as well. Little rocket-ships!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I have a deep seeded hatred for the Neon SRT-4 because Dodge just slapped a powerful motor in a top heavy car with grocery getter suspension. A buddy of mine died in one because he lost control of it on the highway (yes he was going too fast).

6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Sorry to hear that.

So they're mainly straight line machines and not so much for racing around corners, somewhat like the old muscle cars. The GXP at least had the upgraded FE3 suspension so it actually is one of the best handling cars I've owned, only the E90 was a bit better and was RWD.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The SRT-4 is absolute insanity. They rape most imports at their own game, hilariously.

But yeah, if you don't respect it, you die. I'm sorry about your friend. At the very least, I'm sure he was having tons of fun during the last minutes.

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    Yep.... love my 1.4L Turbo Dodge Dart Rallye. Not as much power as the SRT-4, obviously... but it has enough.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i note this. thank u everyone.

edit: do u guys any recommendation for 18" tires for scirocco? dunlop? pirelli? or what was others?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  10. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Standard numbers were 230hp/250tq HOWEVER they were underrated at the factory and basically putting those numbers down to the wheels. That would put crank power around 275hp/285tq or so.

It could take an initial turn pretty well but if there was an S-curve like turn where you needed to make a quick correction the body would shift weight like a bus lol.

I modified mine with basic bolt-ons and increased boost pressure. Power for mine was around 280whp and 325wtq. Stock they did 13.8-14.2 @ 98-100mph. My best modded was 13.21 @ 110.6mph. Nothing like my current car but was fun nonetheless. :)

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Research is your friend man. There are loads of really good tires for your car.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Test-World-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Auto-Bild-Top-15-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...mmer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test

Some different tyres.

12. nvgrim

nvgrim Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 680 4Gb
    No pictures of it here at work,but i have a 2003 Evo 8 with a few upgrades like a precision 6262. Making about 460hp on a safe tune. These little cars are fun to just throw around,the raw feeling of having no electronics holding you back is nice too.

13. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    What? I wouldn't say the Evo has a "raw" feeling to it, not with AYC, ACD and other electronics helping it along.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Is that a Thunderbird I see in that garage? Do tell!

15. nvgrim

nvgrim Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 680 4Gb
    A 2003 USDM evo has neither of those. only 2005 and up have ACD and no US evo came with AYC.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I think the MR did. Yeah we only just recently started to get true GSR's.

17. nvgrim

nvgrim Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 680 4Gb
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  18. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Looks fast! When does it start boosting? That's a biiiiiig turbo!

Still rocking the 12b here lol

19. nvgrim

nvgrim Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 680 4Gb
    Still on the stock 2.0l and the crappy stock upper intercooler piping so full boost comes in at like 4800 i shift at 8500. I want to get a built 2.4l for more power down low.

20. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    No, they actually did some suspension work on those cars. And they were based on a fairly sound chassis that was based on a very good chassis. Gen 1 ACR neons basically beat the **** out of everything in their autocross class.
    The SRT-4 ACR is also very relevant autocross car, even today.
    Everything else about them was ****. They had terrible crash test results, they break, they rust, the paint is awful, the interior was made by playschool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.