AMD Catalyst 14.3 Beta 1.0 (13.350.1005 March 12)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by stasio, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    They already kick ass at CPU bound and lower resolutions

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You don't bottleneck newer architectures when you're including support for legacy hardware. You introduce performance boosts for newer architectures and keep code for older ones the same.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Well its obviously getting in the way since they improved index and vertex buffer by 3x, directdraw calls by 3x vs r334.. Older dx10 arch didnt support such large buffers yet, so it appears they had limited it in certain way to be unified across all hw. Idk but the boost it here with dx11 only gpu driver code.

Yeah, but only if you have a fast cpu for it :)

nvidia's driver was always a little heavier on cpu side, until now when they announced this "magic" dx11 gpu only driver.

While AMD drivers have always been a little lighter and could run good at slower cpu, nvm now with mantle. But its still missing proper multi threaded support in DX api, I think or did they fix it by now?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    It's the other way around. Nvidia's drivers had less CPU overhead than AMD's, and thus Nvidia GPUs demonstrated better performance than AMD ones when coupled with a bottlenecking AMD CPU.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Idk I saw a article once that demonstrated how 6970 ran faster at slower cpu then 480gtx. Its old cant find it now..

Ok nvm, carry on with 14.3 beta talk:nerd:

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I think everyone is going back to 13.12 instead; it's the latest WHQL-signed driver. Everything else after that is a beta driver still.

If I had a problem with 14.3, I'd probably fallback to 13.12 as well, mainly because I don't find it too pratical to bounce between beta drivers without any real benefit (I'm basically on 14.3 just to be on it; don't really gain anything).

Edit: Just had a BSoD when trying to go back a page in Chrome (the page I was leaving had a stopped YouTube flash video).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  7. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    Chrome user can try to disable built-in pepperflash. I prefer pepperflash since it don't use GPU so my GPU freq don't fluctuate or stuck on UVD clock.

8. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    That is true for the 7000 series.For R9 200 the GPU clocks fluctuate like hell regardless of the flash version.

9. xacid0

xacid0 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AMP! Omega
    You meant r9-290s? Because R9-280x in my friend rig behave similar like my HD7950 in Chrome.

10. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3
    Whoops -- yeah, that's what I meant. I was wondering why people are going back to 13.12's and not 13.30, which is the most recent driver before Mantles. But I guess you've explained it -- people prefer the WHQL.

Thanks.

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    the 13.30s were a Kevari APU update, there isnt anything in there useful if you dont have an APU, so 13.12 is the latest stable technically.

12. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Well add me as another user having to go back to 13.12

For me all the 14.x betas suffer from jumping/glitching 2d on the desktop and in firefox and BSOD and lock up in VLC and HTML5 video on YT (with HW accel & aero on/off)

This is not a flash issue (as i don't have it installed) & i don't have Afterburner/Trixx or any other OC/monitoring software running

When this bug has popped up before ive been able to fix it by creating a CCC profile that bumps & locks my 2d speeds to 320 core & 175 mem but under the 14.x drivers this fix has zero effect (even seems to make it worse)

& Like a few other users have posted 14.x seems to re-introduce mirco stutter in a number of games (bioshock inf/skyrim/darksouls)for me,AMD/ATI seem to be taking 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Now im no fanboy of either AMD or NV both have there issues but with my 7970 ive had way more stuttering/driver/stability issues than i ever did with my 570gtx,so unless mantle really shakes PC gaming to its core (yes i really did make that pun) I'll be heading back to NV next time around even if there a few % slower

13. PrivateRyan

PrivateRyan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970
    for years omg ahahahaha this amd trolling us :eek:c:

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The WHQLs of these are coming April.

15. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    That's good news!!

Where's the source!?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Oops. :p

AMD rep on Overclockers.

17. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Thanks!!

Anyway, I miss an AMD representative here, just as ManuelG does for nVidia...

It's very cool to have a company's employee that can state these kind of things to us!

18. Cybermax

Cybermax Guest

Sooo.. Does that automagically mean its up to DICE to "fix" bf4 so that mantle wont use MORE than 2GB of vram? I mean for those of us that seems to suffer from insane stuttering and DONT have a 290x card?

19. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Does Thief or Start Swarm experience similar problems?

Probably personal bias, but I would expect DICE to be the reason for issues with a renderer API introduced into an already-pretty buggy game, than AMD, the maker of said rendering API.

20. Dennisbest

Dennisbest Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7950
    The VRAM problem is not Dice's fault ... I tried mantle API on Star Swarm and i saw the same result:VRAM usage almost doubled.. What I am afraid is , that this IS how mantle works , and it isn't someone's fault..I hope it's not the case though.