NVIDIA: DirectX 12 Is A Huge Improvement for Gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ummm.... How exactly is this due to AMD or Mantle? From what I've read, DirectX 12 development started 4 years ago. Mantle was only announced back in September. Do you have even the slightest clue how long it takes to develop and test such an extensive API? MS doesn't and simply can't do all the work on their own. AMD, NVidia and Intel are all involved in the development of Direct3D. Remember, it was (only) an AMD rep that claimed that there was no DirectX 12 coming..... MS stated that the AMD rep was wrong.

I find it funny how "amd fanboys" want to give credit to AMD for something that AMD didn't actually cause. It's kind of like the "nvidia fanboys" claiming that Freesync is a direct result of G-Sync even though AMD intends on using a feature of the VESA standard that existed prior to G-Sync....and that AMD's hardware supported prior to G-Sync as well.

Fanboys will be fanboys, but both sides need to get their facts straight. AMD started working towards variable refresh 4 generations ago....and MS reportedly started working on DX12 (with AMD, NVidia and Intel) 4 years ago.

PS4 doesn't run Windows. DirectX is a Windows based API. PS4 competes against XBox. Why would MS spend money developing something, just to give it to their competition who has their own graphics and audio API for their own platform? No other version of DirectX has been permitted to be run on a Playstation to my knowledge.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The PS4 uses Open GL not DX that is why. The API on the PS4 can mature over time as well and DX12 may still not close the gap between the two consoles.

EDIT: Ninjaed by sykozis :bang:

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm trying to improve my "ninja edit" skillz y0!!!

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I have to do it all the time. I don't proof read until after I post. :bang:

I should stop doing that.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh all I want to know is will dx 12 be on win7 or is gona be another OS exclusive BS that MS likes to do to get people to update there OS.

I already know my kepler card will support and soo will fermi cards

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I do the same most of the time unless I'm at work and get interrupted. Then I hit submit and walk away with half finished posts.

7. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    where have i heard this before? oh yeah "dx9, 10, 11" will be a gaming revolution" lol ok

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Doubt it will be on windows 7 dec 2015 is a long way off.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Who cares?

PS4 and Xboner are already dated tech.

The long term difference is PC performance and evolution therein.

10. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Of course, until they start making decent games it's all irrelevant. I'd rather have slightly worse graphics and an actual decent game instead of all this rehash FPS multiplayer, overpriced DLC bull **** that we have at the moment.

Portal was a refreshing change as it brought something new for once. Other than that I can't think of anything in the last 7 years since. There's been new games, but nothing really original.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm also starting to think the "thank AMD" crap is nothing more than well...crap.

It's now clear that MS was working on this well before Mantle, whether it was instigated by Nvidia or not remains to be seen as you can't believe everything/much they say, but the support for older hardware and the lack of support for things like DX11.1 explains alot

Either way this is better for all of us, starting again with a new api was at least 10 years too late, so it's clear AMD just rushed this through so they could sell some GCN cards.
    Not that i disagree with them, i also wanted and still do want a GCN card and with 18months to go i might as well, but in no way is Mantle the future of PC gaming.

12. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    What they're not saying here is that we will need to buy a new version of Windows to get DX12. You know what that tells me? That we will have to buy a new version of Windows to get DX12. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Now look sad and say "Steve Balmer." :(

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    "Thank AMD for hurrying Microsoft"?

[​IMG]

14. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    I'm really not interested in DirectX, or even Mantle at all. I'm far more intrested in the development and support of OpenGL, it's already on every single OS and mobile platforms, just waiting to be used in games, and also has amazing performance. Why go crazy over DX12 when there is OpenGL, and DX12 won't be out for nearly 2 years, and will most likely require everyone to upgrade there OS AGAIN? OpenGL is more important IMO.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Mainly because OpenGL is a cluster**** of extensions for each arch most of which aren't even properly documented. Even John Carmack who loved it gave up on it in the end, it's to much of a hassle.

16. Because all those multi-platform and console port games run a lot more efficiently on the PC right?

Consoles already have low level hardware access, and do not have as much to gain as the PC from the new API. Face it.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I do not believe this line

"Our work with Microsoft on DirectX 12 began more than four years ago"

Very happy it will function on current hardware, especially after buying a new video card.

18. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Yes, OpenGL has been there for a long time. But then, how many OpenGL games are released nowadays? I remember a time when bad OpenGL drivers meant you had to use software renderer. Nowadays, OpenGL (under Windows) is an oddity.

Except for the occasional game using the id Tech engine, I don't see many OpenGL games these days. And not just that, but how many of those games are AAA title? AMD's goal is to offer Mantle support in AAA games. That's why Microsoft feel threatened.

Of course, OpenGL could make an actual comeback if more games use OpenGL, thanks to Linux and Mac OS. However, their added market share is still low for the time being.

Anyhow, what I meant was that Microsoft will react only when competition is fierce enough.

19. Holyneo

Holyneo Member

GPU:
    6900xt
    I think you give Microsoft too much credit... How many OS's have they screwed up over the years. Thinking dx12 will be just as perfect as there releases of new OS's is kinda unrealistic in my view. Just hope I don't get Red Ring of Death on my PC. ;)

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Why not?

They announced it supported Nvidia GPUs from the last 4 years.