AMD Catalyst 14.3 Beta 1.0 (13.350.1005 March 12)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by stasio, Mar 18, 2014.

1. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    There you go, I forgot to think of this as a possibility. You're right, Star swarm and Thief do work with 7000 series, and flawlessly.

BF4 Mantle is complete garbage, however. Probably DICE's fault......

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. 7stars

7stars Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    "can use" and "forced to use" are different things...no special rule
    6GB of textures in every frame? :D far from reality...texture compression became increasingly better in time, not worse... learn something about texture compression
    so why you can keep ultra settings even with single card but you don't see stutters in D3D? he can play, that's not unplayable... if you think that something like this
    DirectX
    Min: 37.1
    Max: 61.0
    Avg: 47.8

is unplayable, different point of view :) min 37.1 unplayable? NO
    Mantle to me is unplayable with such a setting... so it needs to be fixed and they know, to me the situation is clear enough. After all the theory behind Mantle is not all about the Vram (more and better usage)... Mantle doesn't work better just 'cause it uses more Vram... mainly there is a different parallelism compared to D3D and linear usage of CPU cores... a different thin driver which has not the same tasks of the old DX driver...
    the Vram usage is a component, not the main feature

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  3. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Damn, my system hung up this morning.... Even with ULPS disabled...

Any R9 290/X user having this with 14.2 and 14.3 drivers??

4. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    I wouldn't be so pissed off If knew that they're doing something, even if it means driver update every week, with only 1-2fixes in changelog. (14.3beta2,beta3,beta4 etc.)
    But no. They release drivers every month or two with no or limitted improvments. Faster the hardware will get too old that even finally fixed mantle won't help...:pc1:

5. Gaz

Gaz Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 290X WindForce
    It happens sometimes on idle.

6. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Exactly. I was browsing on internet, and as I closed Waterfox, it froze.

There was NO open program.

7. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Soooo, update. I rechecked my ULPS settings. F***er had been reset to on again somehow (maybe on the 8.1 upgrade ?- never thought to check it.). Turning off (again!) got rid my cpu spikes. Now I have smooth play around the 120+ fps (all ultra cept with 120% res scale, no MSAA and AApost High @ 2560x1080. O, and terrain decoration on low). Real smooth now! Much much better - now I am happy.:)

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I'm sure that's not the reason. I will turn off HT and report back how Mantle does.

9. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I ran the 13.12 drivers up until these, from 14.1 to 14.3 onward for me they have the powertune bug, where setting it anywhere from -50 to +50 has zero effect, otherwise they run great.

10. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    After one more crash and afraid of corrupting my Windows installation, I went back to 13.12's.

And, to my surprise, the damn FAN TACHOMETER is working again.

Now I'm sure I'll wait for the next official drivers and skip all these betas.

11. jonny30bass

jonny30bass Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7970M 2GB
    Well...Mantle still blows with my HD 7970M. Now, with Mantle, my options menu hangs. The performance is still way worse than DX for me. However, DX seems to perform pretty well. I was expecting this driver to add proper Mantle support for GCN 1.0 cards. I guess I will just have to wait another month or two. I am sick of thinking "Just another month until I get Mantle." Oh well...just as long as it works when it's released.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  12. jonny30bass

jonny30bass Member

GPU:
    AMD HD 7970M 2GB
    I'm glad that he was banned. His comments made no sense at all, and it seemed like he was just trying to slam on AMD all of the time. When I read his comments I thought that I was reading comments written by a mentally handicapped caveman.

13. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Here's my benchmark results with mantle and directx on thief:
    Mantle
    min: 46.9
    max: 90.5
    avg: 72.2
    Directx
    min:29.4
    max:86.1
    avg:49.3
    I have it set to play at 1080p with everything maxed except ssaa which is disabled. I usually play with vsync double buffer which also causes my min fps to go up to 51.2 on mantle. Great results and it plays super smooth for me at first but has anyone noticed that it starts to stutter after an hour or so? Almost like there is a leak or something.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  14. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    he was spamming no mantle for enduro in like everythread.

it was very tiresome.

15. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Driver works perfectly here. 8350 / r9 290. Thief is cool, BF4 is cool. Threads like these will bring in people having problems, maybe 50% of the problems from incompetence or ignorance. The other half might have real issues, it's a beta driver after all. If you have problems, you report to AMD and roll back to the WHQL driver.

That's Windows Hardware Quality Labs, this designation indicates a driver that has been tested and confirmed by Microsoft as meeting their standards for driver quality and stability. The driver contains a digital signature that indicates having been passed by Microsoft.

16. KaliKoolio

KaliKoolio Guest

GPU:
    2x7950
    I'm really frustrated to read the majority of these comments. Mantle doesn't work here, Mantle doesn't work there. I created an account to speak up, because Guru3d has a lot of fanboyism going on that is misleading the general readers. I have two computers that are well maintained, I have been a PC gamer for a couple of years and do not consider myself a pro, but keep informed and care about the performance of my rigs. My two computers both have AMD gpu's one with 1x7950 and the other running two 7950's in Xfire. The computer running one 7950 has in intel i72600k and the Xfire using FX8350. Mantle has been a great free boost for both PC's. What is everyone here doing wrong??? I use Monoprice 2560x1440 on both an although 14.1 -14.3 have given me different results... The bottom line is that Star Swarm, Battelfield 4 and Thief (running 2 out of 3 on steam) do get impressive results *ie* MORE FRAMES THAN BEFORE, HIGHER NUMBER OF AVG FRAMES. All three games have a form of benchmark.. I'm not inept. This API was meant and released to add performance, it adds performance. How is everyone else who is an enthusiast PC user experiencing negative effects in reality? I'm not at your house, I don't know, but I think that the majority of the threads on the comments are full of horse crap.

17. ALPINEST4RS

ALPINEST4RS Guest

GPU:
    Gbyte 7970 GHZ 3GB
    I lied, just had my first hard crash with these drivers, something about threads being exceeded. ati(xxxxx).dll

(Sorry I didn't catch the failing file). If it happens again I'll get it. One more hard crash and I'm rolling back.

18. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    deleted

19. I can barely understand your jibberish^^^ and nice, if you do get banned you've already told the mods ur second username to be banned alongside this one...

anyway, on topic.

Just installed these and gave the theif bench a couple of runs, one with mantle enabled, the second without. With mantle I got an average of about 37FPS I think it was, and with DX avg of 42FPS...All settings maxed at 2560x1440p...

now worth noting, while the average fps is a little lower with Mantle compared to DX - the overall "smoothness" is muuuuch better with Mantle, however im still getting the odd cpu spikes. in DX mode even at 40+ fps its still not smooth, where as with mantle even at 20fps *feels* smooth.

Will continue testing in BF4 next.