Cheaper Version of Microsoft Office TBA

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Microsoft is planning to offer a new version of Office, at a lower price: Office 365 Personal, which will cost $70 a year or $7 a month. This version will allow a person to install it on two devices,...

Cheaper Version of Microsoft Office TBA

2. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Pretty much this. MS can go and suck a fat one with their subscription services.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    do they know that now the open source office do more and are... totaly free???

few ago M$ Office had still a step further but since the last office it is now less versatile and have less tool...

4. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, I opted for Office 365 a year ago, and renewed the subscription. I'm really satisfied with their services.

Over here, in Poland, it's a great deal for pro users (for home users, read paragraph below). To stay up to date I'd have to buy a boxed version every 2 years or so, and the cheapest commercial version of Office - Home and Small Business costs >$400 over here (converted to USD), while Professional is around $800. Office 365 is more expensive in Europe than in US, but a year of Small Business Premium, which includes Professional Plus desktop products for 5 computers (using it on 3 now) and all the online services, costs me 125€ a year, which is like $175 ($215 with VAT). Effectively I get more for less. Installation is fast and simple.

Of course, there are drawbacks - it could cost less, and if I decide to stop paying, I'm left without service (I could just download the documents from Skydrive Pro). Also, you can't link SBP subscription with Visio, as Visio is available only for Enterprise plans (still available and affordable for single user).

Also, the personal edition is kinda so-so. $70 a year is not impressive compared to $100 a year for the option that can be shared in household. On top of that, I can remember paying around $80 for a boxed household version of Office 2007, which my parents and brother are still using and enjoying. It was a great deal, as it wasn't a great cost, especially after being used for so many years by several people, and as today, there's hardly any reason to upgrade. No wonder MS want to avoid such situations to happen again and going hardcore with a subscription service. Yes, you still have boxed options, but they're not that great as 2007 deal.

MS is not the only company to do it. Software as a service becomes more and more common. I can remember outrage related to Adobe discontinuing boxed versions of Photoshop. However in Adobe case they significantly increased the product cost, while Office 365 at least costs less for the commercial usage. Perhaps if the boxed versions were significantly cheaper in US, I might understand the disappointment and frustration.

Free alternatives may be good for many and they should be evaluated. While I generally recommend MS Office, I'd consider it a bad practice not to at least try out some free alternatives. Perhaps they'll be good enough, or maybe even better for some situations.

I also have to contradict the statement that new MS Office does less. It's just made up and completely not true. Each consecutive version adds new features. I'd suggest trying it out before claiming such false statements.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014

5. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Software as a service is a crock of ****. Just ask the German courts ;)

Software is a product and shouldn't be able to be sold as a service as all too often they are not services at all. It's just a money grab.

If they reduced the excessive costs there would be less piracy of their software and more satisfied customers. Currently that's not the case.

6. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Subscription? Cough...torrent....cough....free...

7. Ilya

Ilya Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 SLI @ 1200/7000
    haven't paid for office since 2007

8. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    I bought 365 last year at a discount for military members and it was still not worth it. It says stay up with the most recent version. I never once saw a version update to my office and even if so they are charging for patches now? Biggest freaking waste of money I ever spent.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    All you who complain don't need it and wont buy it anyway, so why even bother?

@rl66
    Last time I checked, none of the free alternatives could cover the same.

@makain
    All patches and the last service pack did not come with any additional cost, stop spreading false rumors.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'd like to know what open office does more of, or what aspects it contains which MS Office does not.

Might be good for home users on a budget, but it'll take an extremely convincing argument to persuade me to recommend anything other than MS Office for the modern business, especially with cloud.

It is perhaps a personal standpoint but I simply would not recommend open anything for a business. This includes wordpress for the website of a company...it has yet to convince me personally that it is safe to use, not just for e-commerce and CRM but CMS, too.

Things cost money for a reason.

11. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    I don't really understand either why anyone would buy office software in this age, especially if they're pulling subscription crap.

LibreOffice
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I got mine through my firms work scheme, it cost £8.95 for Office 2010 and then they updated it to office 2013 for the same price. Well worth the money.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Because Libreoffice is **** for anything aside from the most basic use.

14. Ch0plol

Ch0plol Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 4GB
    Learned that the hard way last semester when I did a large presentation in the Libreoffice version of powerpoint. I spent a few days on it getting the formatting perfect and then when I opened it in powerpoint to present to the class everything was just a garbled mess.

That's when I just bit the bullet and subscribed to Office 365 student.

Libreoffice worked great for me for writing papers, but until you can be 100% assured that your projects won't get messed up Microsoft still runs the game in business / school.

15. HairyCube

HairyCube Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
    Don't like subscriptions, ugly interface and cloud services. Until this stuff is gone, I'm sticking with the free version of KingSoft Office.

16. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I use apache openoffice. It costs $0 a year, $0 a month. Screw you M$.

17. What was once the leader in PC development is now the leader in PC retardation.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Oh ok, and when they were the leader in development they weren't selling their products? rofl.

What do you guys want from them? Free everything? It's $100 a year for 5 computers and 5 mobile devices. That's $9 a month. You get Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Onenote + bunch of online storage crap.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's not about the money, it's about the functionality and compatibility with everyone else who uses it.

20. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Apache office is compatible with microsoft office, so unless you´re doing a class at college about office, i see no reason to pay such a ridiculous price for something free out there.